Sign in to follow this  
ILoveTechinic

Lego 8285 or 8258 or 8421

I want to buy a new lego set now but I cant decide between these 3 I have a nxt set already so i want to play with them can you tell me which one I should get or which one is better, for the price right now i'm in Australia and I want to order from Bricklink will it work ive seen many legos there for a good price plzzz comment

Does the order on bricklink work?

Ive seen some products that say this excludes 17% vat others don't does this mean the others don't have VAT?

Sorry for my English i dont want to correct it :sadnew:

New to this Forum

If you can get one for a reasonable price... defenitely go for 8421! That is one of the All-Time-Best Technic sets! (and the largest one aswell with 1884 parts).

However, if you prefer Remote Controlled vehicles, choose either 8043 or 8275: both have 4 motors, 2 IR receivers and controller(s).

8285 and 8258 are both great looking trucks, and a great parts-pack aswell (both around 1875 parts). Where 8285 has pnuematics, 8258 has a XL-motor and LAs...

Take your pick! :thumbup:

Edited by RockeTeK

You can't go wrong by choosing any of these three Lego Technic sets. They all would make a great addition to your collection. I have made hundreds of purchases on Bricklink over the years, and I say YES it works great!

The 8285 Tow Truck set from 2006 has 1,878 pieces. There are some reviews on Brickset and a photo review here on Eurobricks. According to Peeron, its original price was the equivalent of US $120, so expect to pay at least that much.

8285-1.jpg

The 8258 Crane Truck set from 2009 has 1,877 parts. See the reviews on Brickset and on Eurobricks (A Model and alternate "Duty Wrecker" B Model). Peeron reveals that its Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is US $150.

8258-1.jpg

The 8421 Mobile Crane set from 2005 has 1,884 parts. Brickset has many reviews. Peeron says it cost US $150 new.

8421-1.jpg

Recommend getting one of the older sets (either the 8285 Tow Truck or the 8421 Mobile Crane), since they are getting harder to find as the years go by. You could possibly get the (newer) 8258 Crane Truck later, unless you want to have Power Functions elements. If you had to choose ONE of the three sets, I would recommend the 8285 Tow Truck. :classic:

Edited by DLuders

I guess most of the sets you're seeing are from Europe and shipping any of the listed set would set you back 40+ Euros. Just keep that in mind when ordering.

Aside from that, any of those sets are great.

Oops well i cant find any tow truck for 120 euro thats like 160 aus dollar i think all the ones im seeing is 400$ + :cry_sad:

im in Australia none of the shops sell it (>'.')>

Where can i find one set out of those 4 you said for a good price i can only pay at least up to 350$ us or aus

Ty for fast replies ^^

For me it's either the 8258 or 8421.

8258 has alot of complexity, a motor and alot of cool parts like the large H frames. The 8421 has a faster motor and also pneumatics (basic pneumatics but pneumatics non-the-less). But it is not as complex as the 8421.

As for the tow truck, It looks ok and also has pneumatics but the rest of it's mechanisms or somewhat boring and leave wanting more, in a bad way.

Others have mentioned the 8275 and 8043. Whilst these are a good sourse of motors, tracks and remote control I never really liked either set. But If I had to choose between the two i'de get the 8043 because the 8275 is really boring, there is almost no complexity what so ever.

@ ILoveTechinic: You could always look on eBay.com for some of these sets. Sometimes you can get lucky and grab something from under other people's noses. :classic:

Another possibility is to use the Peeron.com links I provided in my earlier reply to assemble the INDIVIDUAL PARTS needed for a particular set. The Peeron Inventory lists the parts you need. Bricklink also posts Parts Inventories of sets -- here they are for the 8285 Tow Truck, 8258 Crane Truck, and 8421 Mobile Crane.

About 2 years ago, I used Bricklink to buy the individual parts needed for the 8421 Mobile Crane set. I did this because I could not find a complete 8421 set at a reasonable price. Getting all of the pieces needed for a ~1,800-part set TAKES TIME and is brutal in some respects, but it works. There really are very few Lego sets that one cannot duplicate IF you have patience and stamina.

Edited by DLuders

You can download the instructions from the Lego website Lego.com instructions

If you want stickers for the 8285 towtruck I have a few new sheets left, unfortunately I only kept one set of the instructions books but they are all downloadable. Of course I recommend 8285, it is the set that got me interested in Technic again and in my opinion the best looking of all the technic trucks.

8421 I was going to buy but was disappointed with the Lego set so built my own mobile crane. Of course mine will never be completely finished as everytime I think I have, there are new pieces released, which means I have to rebuild it to improve it.

8258 is a good set but it just doesnt give me the inspiration that 8285 does.

Edited by Bricktrain

If you want stickers for the 8285 towtruck I have a few new sheets left, unfortunately I only kept one set of the instructions books but they are all downloadable. Of course I recommend 8285, it is the set that got me interested in Technic again and in my opinion the best looking of all the technic trucks.

I would like one sheet if possible. Please contact PM! :classic:

The 8285 is a nice build and does look great! That was my review linked above from 2006 and I still have the truck sitting on my shelf to this day (over 4 1/2 years later). I've built a number of Technic sets since and the 8285 still ranks up there. In retrospect, my overall rating was probably too low for the truck.

The 8258 is a fun build as well. It was on my shelf for a while as well, but didn't get the same amount of discussion that the 8285 did from friends/neighbors viewing my collection.

I have an 8421 but haven't had time to build it so I can't really comment about it (yet).

I doubt you would go wrong with any of them. From what I have seen on the secondary market, you will probably be able to get the 8258 for less money than 8285 or 8421. There seem to be a bunch of them on Ebay.

8421 would be my top pick, both in functionality and looks, can't go wrong with that one. 8285 is great too, but 8258 so-so as the LA's are put under a lot of stress and the crane just doesn't have the looks of the 8421. If you want another good crane and a lower price (8421 and 8285 are pretty high in price since retirement and hard to find) and in-stock status at Lego and many other retailers, the 8053 Mobile Crane gives you a lot of bang for your buck, especially if you have the 8293 Power Functions kit to go with to motorize. Even if you don't all you need is an M-motor and a battery box, and if you have some spare parts 1 white 24-tooth clutch gear (necessary).

I want to buy a new lego set now but I cant decide between these 3 I have a nxt set already so i want to play with them can you tell me which one I should get or which one is better, for the price right now i'm in Australia and I want to order from Bricklink will it work ive seen many legos there for a good price plzzz comment

Does the order on bricklink work?

Ive seen some products that say this excludes 17% vat others don't does this mean the others don't have VAT?

Sorry for my English i dont want to correct it :sadnew:

New to this Forum

I would like one sheet if possible. Please contact PM! :classic:

PM sent.

I was quite surprised at what they are selling for on BL, so if buying I will do them cheaper if you PM me, even though I have listed some on there.

okkkkk thanks for your tips im getting 8043 the excavator i already ordered it because it wont be in stores soon same with the crane truck ill think about them later

Thread Finished >.<? :laugh:

Don't worry about the old sets. Start from 8043 and the coming 8110, you could buy each year's Technic flagship product. Soon your home will be full. Also you can always create your own.