Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

MOC - Road House

What is %$%* of a day I have had, so no more work on my MOC today......tomorrow for sure ! :blush:

Oh, the diner problem has been solved, I'm so stupid at times......but I have visited often a Woolworths-Caltex roadhouse with a......McDonald's in it ! :tongue:

So you can guess next to the servo shop, yep.....a Macca's with a drive-thru as well ! :grin:

Keep on watching everyone ! :grin:

I haven't seen a roadhouse with a McDonalds before.

All the proper roadhouses I have seen tend to have diners rather than fast food joints (and I have been all the way from Perth to Brisbane and back on the roads of this great country of ours)

I have seen plenty of big city petrol stations with fast food joints nearby (including McDonalds). But in all my travels across this land, I have NEVER seen a small town petrol station or outback roadhouse with a fast food joint, its always a diner of some sort (which may offer fast food like chips, hot dogs, burgers and so on)

Something else I have seen at a number of outback/small town petrol stations is arcade machines (particularly on routes commonly frequented by tourists rather than truckies). Parents will give their kids a go on the machine whilst they fill up with petrol and buy food and stuff.

Thanks for the comments 'jonwil', well the Main North Road Pooraka Woolworths has a Macca's built in to it, plus the main highway between Melbourne and Ballarat also Brisbane and Gold Coast....servo's with a Macca's built-in or along side of. :wink:

Starting to plan the rear section of the Macca's, plus planning the stickering inside and out....more to come....I'm a conformist! everyone ! :grin:

The road house is coming along nicely, LT.

I must admit I had some reservations about your choice of Maccas but clearly you've got a local reference to go on, so good luck with it.

Since you forgot one of your usual tag lines I'll have to say...Keep on flipping those burgers!

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Thanks for the comments 'AussieJimbo'.....that's odd I never wrote 'I'm a conformist' mainly as I can't spell it in the first place and had to just copy it ! :wacko:

Anyway, more tomorrow ! :wink:

Keep on watching everyone ! (now I see if it changes again !) :look:

Hey LT this is looking great, i know i have seen a few servos with "Subway" next to them and imo i think the green of woolies and subway would work well together

just my 2 cents..... :blush:

EDIT:

bb47d1de69b835f890f2c3a36d6f455d_d73.jpg

this one is in Mile End Adelaide it was originally a service station

Edited by TanTile

Hey LT this is looking great, i know i have seen a few servos with "Subway" next to them and imo i think the green of woolies and subway would work well together

just my 2 cents..... :blush:

Yeah, I think a Subway would look good with this station (and I have seen plenty of service stations with Subway restaurants inside)

Thanks 'TanTile' for your kind comments, and again 'jonwil' for your input...in Adelaide the On-The-Run servo chain uses Subways in their stores.

I'll think about it....Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

It seems like I need to show examples again......

3435071998_0c66e35e7c.jpg?v=0

209652-caltex-petrol-station.jpg

Now to show a Macca's with a service station I'll have to go and photograph the one I was talking about......aw, well......more updates later on today ! :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

Only flooring and custom figures to do now.....oh, yeah merchandise in the servo....oops...I'll fix that in a few days....

wip_road_house_88.jpg

wip_road_house_89.jpg

Comments still welcome.....keep on watching ! :wink:

Great MOC! It is detailed and looks great so far. It looks just like the real thing. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Thanks 'buddy' for your kind words again, and 'Jeff' for your question.

Now only two countries have Woolworths chains left, South Africa and of course, Australia.

Woolworths has a co-branding deal with Caltex while Westfarmers Coles chain teamed up with Shell with their Coles Express service stations.

They offer cheaper fuel when you shop in their supermarkets, by usually 4 cents per litre or to someone in the US about 15 to 20 cents per gal., if you want to know more just ask.

Most of these co-brands operate like 7-11's (which are in the eastern states of Australia only), the usual top oils, loaves of bread, milk and of course fuel being available.

Brick On Everyone and keep on watching !

I need some help again everyone......

What else do I put with these two side-by-side eh ?

A redesigned BOC Gas'n'Gear to all fit on 32x32 baseplate ?

A truck wash ?

A tyre bay for heavy vehicles ?

A tractor/truck dealer and/or repairs ?

Ideas anyone ?

Your feedback is always welcome so......keep on suggesting ! :wink:

I need some help again everyone......

What else do I put with these two side-by-side eh ?

A redesigned BOC Gas'n'Gear to all fit on 32x32 baseplate ?

A truck wash ?

A tyre bay for heavy vehicles ?

A tractor/truck dealer and/or repairs ?

Ideas anyone ?

Your feedback is always welcome so......keep on suggesting ! :wink:

Thanks for the answer, LT. In the US, Woolworths was the original five & dime store and went out of business years ago.

Does Australia have weight limits for trucks on the roads? A common feature at American truck stops is a set of scales for truckers to weigh themselves to make sure that their loads are under government maximums; they're usually located right next to the truck wash. Both of those would probably take a lot of room, though.

Many US truck stops also feature shower facilities for truckers to use on long hauls. It'd give you something to do with the shower that came in the last Advent Calendar if you have it.

Ah, AWESOME idea 'Jeff', thank you on two fronts.....a shower area is on the cards and yes, a weighing station......that one is for sure....thank you 'Jeff'. :sweet:

Now on the subject of Woolworths, the story goes that 5 Sydney business men went a fact finding trip to the US...on inspecting F.W.'s stores, they approached their HQ and were shocked and overjoyed in two factors.....one was F.W. had NO intension of comming to Oz and gave them the Oz and NZ rights to the Woolworth name.....hence Woolworths here taking on US ideas faster than ours....with the merging of Tandy (Radio Stores) into the Dick Smith chain and BigW being modeled on Walmart stores.....a little scary eh ? :devil:

Updates again soon so......Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

I was thinking about Jeff's weigh station idea and wondering how you might make it playable, ideally some sort of pointer to show a weight change when you drive a truck on it.

Then it struck me, the simple mechanism of an old-style torque wrench offers a possible design. To those who don't know, a torque wrench is basically a spanner that allow you to put precise tension when doing up nuts and bolts.

Newer ones have a dial arrangement in the head of the tool but old ones have a long rod attached to the handle end with a pointer and scale at the head end. When you apply force to the tool the main shaft bends a little but the rod stays straight resulting in movement of the pointer relative to the scale.

I have in mind this piece for the flexing main shaft of the "torque wrench":

2637.gif

...and a standard axle with 1x1 brick and a long antenna as the pointer.

With that basic mechanical idea in mind you've "just" got to build a moveable, drive-on platform for the truck, link it's motion to the mechanism and conceal things so it looks like a town building.

Simpler perhaps, now I've finished typing up that idea *laugh* would be to link the vertical motion of the weighing platform to a 1x4 gear-rack tile and use that to drive a gear that rotates a pointer and use the round "one to eleven" piece from Zurg's gun as a scale.

I might give these ideas a go later and see if I can make them work.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Thanks 'AJ' for your suggestions, but the weighing station will be static, as I go for realism....though a strain gauge device would be interesting - I'll think about.

Brick On ! :grin:

For those who don't know what a weigh station or weigh-bridge is......

491877-checking-station.jpg

Too simple....I'll knock one up before next week end !

Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

Hi there, I've been watching this little gas station and it looks pretty cool. If you're still interested in ideas, an air pressure pump for refilling tyres and/or water spray for hosing down vehicles, they'd be pretty small, it would just add a bit more detail.

Thanks for the comment 'CptMugwash', so Air eh ? - yes - I've designed a few in the past.....I have a design in mind for this MOC....so keep watching for that as well.....man, I'm going to be busy !

Brick On Everyone ! :grin: