Sign in to follow this  
sok117

Lighting Damage to lego?

Hello fellow EB members!

I have a question that I probably should've asked a long time ago, can lights damage your lego? I've got a display area right above my computer where I keep a nice array of sets for my viewing pleasure, the problem is that there are two lights almost 8 or so inches above the tallest set, would this be a problem when dealing with the structural integrity of the bricks over a long period of time? Here is a picture of it for an example, but note that I have changed from Indiana Jones to SW recently

indianajones_home_display_001.jpg

so what do you guys know on this matter? Some answers will be greatly appreciated!

Well I know that long term exposure to the sun can fade the bricks, but I don't think this would harm the bricks unless you're using, say, shop lamps that emit a ton of heat. For color, I guess if you leave it long enough you could see change, but take for example, Miniland: the smaller models there have no steel or anything supplementing them, and the glue only keeps people from tearing them apart, and after a decade all they need is sandblasting and reglazing to restore color.

The only real issues would one of two things. Extreme heat, which I doubt you would see with your setup, could be an issue with lights. The other issue would depend on what kind of lighting you are using. If it emits a significant amount of UV (similar to sunlight) then you could see yellowing over long periods of time. Older fluorescent lights used to emit UV which is one reason a lot of old PC/ABS computer monitor housings are so yellow. It just depends on your setup. If it is standard tungsten light, then you should be fine.

-Davey

I've noticed the same thing. Fluorescent lighting can definitely discolor bricks over time, while incandescent lighting seems to cause no problems, even after several years of exposure.

Flourescent lamps are effectively a UV source and a phosphor wavelength converter. Typically some UV (which is bad for bricks and plastics) leaks through the phosphor. Warm White LED's use the same principle - put one under a microscope and the phosphor coating is visible. The spectra of most white leds has a huge spike at UV so here is a Top tip, dont look directly at white LED's :thumbup:

That is why I still use incadescent lamps for my desk area, it is a lot closer to natural light (minus UV).

Another piece of random engineering information I have stored in my brain :classic:

Still exposure time would have to be very long to notice any damage I believe.

Edited by richthelegodude

Thanks for the replies everyone! :thumbup: Seems as though my bricks will be safe for now! :laugh: and just a side note, did no one get the joke in the title/subtitle, or was it just not that funny? I thought it was pretty good!

just a side note, did no one get the joke in the title/subtitle, or was it just not that funny? I thought it was pretty good!

I noticed it, but it was a groaner.

Edited by Brickdoctor

I noticed it, but it was a groaner.

I get it, it was like a pun-ishment! :laugh: , okay I'm done, sorry

I was wondering about compact fluorescent bulbs, and looked it up. Here's what I found. I don't know if I should be worried about this at all. I use CFLs almost exclusively in my home, except for the dimmable ones in the bedroom.

One thing that is not talked about much is that CFLs emit more ultraviolet (UV) light than an incandescent bulb, which produces virtually none. Light in a CFL starts out as UV from excited gases, and is made visible by phosphors coating the inside of the tube/bulb. Incandescent light is mostly infrared emitted by heating the filament to super high temperatures (leading some to call them "heat bulbs" instead of "light bulbs"). Most of the UV from a CFL is filtered out in the conversion, but there is still some.

Manufacturers say, however, that there is no health risk and that eight hours of exposure to CFL UV is about the same as one minute in full sunlight. But, photographs, artwork, some fabrics, and some photoreactive chemicals used in furniture finishes are susceptible to degradation from any increased levels of UV over time. So this is something to consider.