Sign in to follow this  
kabel

alternative crow's nest designs

Hi there,

I'm currently working on my first fully custom rigged ship (it's a pain in the megablocks) and I'm getting more and more frustrated with the Lego prefab crow's nests, to me they seem to large and arkward and not at the right position.(at least for a ketch) Anyway, it's always kinda hard to guess from the many moc pictures how to do custom made crow's nests and so I was wondering, whether the pro builders would be wiling to share their secrets with the humble beginners ...

I think the crow´s nest is one of the easier parts of a ship.

The best way to make them (I think) is just taking a look at some pictures of real (or model) ships/paintings and try to make it as good as possible with lego.

Or take a look at the ship MOC's here that you like most and see or ask how they did it.

Good luck!

by LEGOs crows nests, do you mean the piece you can attach rigging to, or do you mean the little bucket(like the one on Kraken Attackin)?

Here is my favorite crows nest design. It is of course designed by me. :pir-grin:

crowsnest_mainmast.png

th_crowsnest_mainmast2.png th_crowsnest_mainmast3.png th_crowsnest_mainmast4.png th_Crows_nest.jpg

As I had explained a few years ago, I had used a 2422.gif instead of a 2539.gif for the support of the crows nest.

This of course only works on the older mast design. A simple plate could probably be used for the newer masts, but I am not sure since I only use the older masts for any ship-type MOCs.

@nosaj: yeah, I was talking about the old design thingis on which you can attach the rigging

@phred: very interesting idea. thank you