Sign in to follow this  
OGEL646

Modern SW vs. Traditional SW

The newer sets , while certainly a bit more accurate, are an attempt to overjuniorize the industry with huge and unnecessarily molded pieces, ultimately contributing to the dumbing down of America

You know, I read this all the time about LEGO, but what are your examples? And especially in Star Wars, which has no BURPS (ok, 7666) or big castle wall pieces.

Does The Battle of Endor have big <insert that tiresome argument> pieces, or the Venator, or Echo Base, or the new Slave I, or the Wampa Cave, or Plo Koon's Starfighter… the list is endless. Which Star Wars set are you referring to that has huge molded pieces? I'm really not seeing it.

Back to the topic, it is very hard to choose which era is the 'best.' There were some complete stinkers in the original lineup, like the first Snowspeeder and the Gungan Sub, but there were also many fun, quaint sets (X-Wing, Landspeeder, Naboo Duel, etc.). It's kind of a shame that Episode II came when it did, since LEGO wasn't ready to handle the models. Newer Slave I's, the new RGS and AT-TE are much better than the EpII versions. LEGO had already moved past complete blocky but hadn't yet gotten really good, so I'd say around 2003 were some of the worst ones. They weren't quaint, and they weren't great either.

2004-2008 saw some great new sets and redesigns, and the still-reasonable prices were great too. Of course, LEGO still has some great-deal sets, like Battle of Endor, but these days $20 sets sell for $25 (and even worse outside the U.S.). Really, I'd have to say that 2004-2008 were the best years, but that's not to say that LEGO doesn't still come out with some great SW sets and sometimes even at tolerable prices.

Does The Battle of Endor have big <insert that tiresome argument> pieces, or the Venator, or Echo Base, or the new Slave I, or the Wampa Cave, or Plo Koon's Starfighter… the list is endless. Which Star Wars set are you referring to that has huge molded pieces? I'm really not seeing it.

All the above sets have big molded pieces, but they serve a purpose. Most are just big plates. The Wampa Cave does have (at least) one BURP.

All the above sets have big molded pieces, but they serve a purpose. Most are just big plates.

It's true that every LEGO piece is molded, and some plates are big, but those can't be counted as <insert that tiresome argument> or unnecessarily molded. LEGO has never made you build big plates out of tons of small plates. In fact, newer LEGO sets don't even have baseplates, mostly.

It's true that every LEGO piece is molded, and some plates are big, but those can't be counted as <insert that tiresome argument> or unnecessarily molded. LEGO has never made you build big plates out of tons of small plates. In fact, newer LEGO sets don't even have baseplates, mostly.

As I said, they serve a purpose. I don't really mind the use of baseplates, other than the fact that you have to use more baseplates to extend the MOC due to the non-standard height of the baseplate.

Which Star Wars set are you referring to that has huge molded pieces? I'm really not seeing it.

p1030213.jpg

img_8679.jpg

And these parts may have been acceptable back in 2000, but they certainly fall into what I'm talking about.

30360.png (Used in "new" A-wing from Home One playset and 6212 X-wing)

30373.png (Used in 8017 and 8087)

30366px2.jpg (Used in 8017 and 8087)

30359a.png (Used in "new" snowspeeder from Wampa set)

I believe some of these parts may be outdated. LEGO can use SNOT; they can make round things look round; they can make blasters look good; they have radar dish pieces.

Also...

I believe this is still being used. Was this ever really necessary?

I used to be a genuine, diehard LSW OT collector and enthusiast. If something was introduced in the line, I got it, even if I didn't really care for it (Case in point, Imperial Landing Craft, or whatever the heck that thing was called). Up until about 2009, I had every mf-scale set in the OT excluding the first Falcon, the first B-Wing, Droid Escape, Jabba's Skiff, and that small little thing we like to call the Death Star. I've never bought a single UCS or mini set, but that's just me.

In fact, it was the introduction of the Holy Grail aka Death Star that actually eased me up on the line as a whole. $400 bucks is just too rich for my blood-- and where does it end? Most of the essential scenes/vehicles/figures have been released, and the newer updates are great but out of my price range.

It also probably helps that I gravitated first into Pirates and now into City. I'm definitely planning on picking up the new Wampa Attack, but beyond that I'm beginning to seriously question if I've gone into LSW semi-retirement... what would get me back? Lower prices, new sets that aren't re-releases of re-releases.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

p1030213.jpg

img_8679.jpg

And these parts may have been acceptable back in 2000, but they certainly fall into what I'm talking about.

30360.png (Used in "new" A-wing from Home One playset and 6212 X-wing)

30373.png (Used in 8017 and 8087)

30366px2.jpg (Used in 8017 and 8087)

30359a.png (Used in "new" snowspeeder from Wampa set)

I believe some of these parts may be outdated. LEGO can use SNOT; they can make round things look round; they can make blasters look good; they have radar dish pieces.

Also...

I believe this is still being used. Was this ever really necessary?

Why? Do you really want crappy looking brick-built pieces or nicer, more accurate pieces?

I used to be a genuine, diehard LSW OT collector and enthusiast. If something was introduced in the line, I got it, even if I didn't really care for it (Case in point, Imperial Landing Craft, or whatever the heck that thing was called). Up until about 2009, I had every mf-scale set in the OT excluding the first Falcon, the first B-Wing, Droid Escape, Jabba's Skiff, and that small little thing we like to call the Death Star. I've never bought a single UCS or mini set, but that's just me.

In fact, it was the introduction of the Holy Grail aka Death Star that actually eased me up on the line as a whole. $400 bucks is just too rich for my blood-- and where does it end? Most of the essential scenes/vehicles/figures have been released, and the newer updates are great but out of my price range.

It also probably helps that I gravitated first into Pirates and now into City. I'm definitely planning on picking up the new Wampa Attack, but beyond that I'm beginning to seriously question if I've gone into LSW semi-retirement... what would get me back? Lower prices, new sets that aren't re-releases of re-releases.

I fully understand you as I know SW is undoubtedly a repeating theme. But for people like me who just started collection since 2006, I still have a far path to go. So I will still accept the newer sets. But I also hope TLG can know when to end SW though... As I think I will get into financial trouble pretty soon

I personally LOATHE fleshies. The new era has okay sets but they cost too much for how little playability/small of an amount of minifigs, that you get. The older era has the best sets. They're (mostly) inexpencive(sp?) and you're able to get good/rare minifigs for cheap (R2 and 3-PO in droid escape which was about $7 for example) and there was much more playability. They're also well built although they are blocky, where as the new ones are stream-lined but fall apart easily. The old ones also don't have the nerw outlandish, bugeyed, toon faces :sick: . I still do like the new sets though but the old ones are way better :vader: .

I personally LOATHE fleshies. The new era has okay sets but they cost too much for how little playability/small of an amount of minifigs, that you get. The older era has the best sets. They're (mostly) inexpencive(sp?) and you're able to get good/rare minifigs for cheap (R2 and 3-PO in droid escape which was about $7 for example) and there was much more playability. They're also well built although they are blocky, where as the new ones are stream-lined but fall apart easily. The old ones also don't have the nerw outlandish, bugeyed, toon faces :sick: . I still do like the new sets though but the old ones are way better :vader: .

Are you kidding me? Not all, even most of the flesh figs are CW-style. Most of the older sets had very little playability and looked terrible. Does anyone here even remember of something called inflation? Please refer to specific sets that "fall apart easily." More of the newer sets actually have more figs that previous ones. Your argument is very badly put together, please elaborate.

Are you kidding me? Not all, even most of the flesh figs are CW-style. Most of the older sets had very little playability and looked terrible. Does anyone here even remember of something called inflation? Please refer to specific sets that "fall apart easily." More of the newer sets actually have more figs that previous ones. Your argument is very badly put together, please elaborate.

The newer sets have a wider range of minifigs, but on average you pay more individually. I do love the recent sets which have nicer outline and more accurate.

The newer sets have a wider range of minifigs, but on average you pay more individually. I do love the recent sets which have nicer outline and more accurate.

The sets themselves are slowly, steadily, yet painfully getting better through trial and error, but who cares about a 'New and Never Before Made' minifig if it doesn't look good? Other than fanatical collectors, that is.

My favorite era was from 2004-2007. I think the 2006 was the best line because TLG really focused on the OT.

My favorite era was from 2004-2007. I think the 2006 was the best line because TLG really focused on the OT.

:thumbup:

Why? Do you really want crappy looking brick-built pieces or nicer, more accurate pieces?

I hardly think that giant piece LEGO uses to attach TIE wings could be called accurate. And that Grievous minifigure could barely be defined as LEGO. There's a point to which you can mold a LEGO minifigure before it stops being LEGO and becomes something else.

Everybody's saying the newer sets are nicer, but to me it doesn't really matter. Both eras (I'll split it into two eras) had and have nice designs, and both had their pros and cons. For example, the newest Slave I is rockin', the best one yet, but the oldest X-Wing was really good, not immense like the later ones. As for size and design (sometimes), I preferred the older ones but as for minifigs and parts, the newer ones are better. :)

I'm looking forward for the TLG to stop making those god-awful Clone Wars sets, give up the prequel trilogy (they already did ;P) and get back to Original Trilogy stuff, 'cause Star Wars is that and only that. I hate Clone Wars, and surprisingly, to me, the prequel trilogy was even worse. Bleh!

Ps. Like my new signature? ;P

Edited by Raphy

Everybody's saying the newer sets are nicer, but to me it doesn't really matter. Both eras (I'll split it into two eras) had and have nice designs, and both had their pros and cons. For example, the newest Slave I is rockin', the best one yet, but the oldest X-Wing was really good, not immense like the later ones. As for size and design (sometimes), I preferred the older ones but as for minifigs and parts, the newer ones are better. :)

Ps. Like my new signature? ;P

IMO, I couldn't disagree with you more about the new Slave 1.

1. Color scheme. While dark red looks good, it is a blatant disregard of the original source.

2. It looks as if it faceplanted itself, and now it has a flat nose.

3. Trans-clear windscreen. Why in the name of god couldn't they have used a trans-black screen?

4. The dark green curvy pieces near the wings. They just look a little off to me.

5. The blue/yellow pieces in the flick-fire part. *facepalm*

6. Stupid new molds. IMO, the new molds are bad and unnecessary.

7. Of course, the price. Said new molds are responsible for this ridiculous price.

It's pretty much the same exact thing as the last one, but with some things improved but also more disimprovements. IMO, only good thing is Bossk :blush: , but even he can be improved.

The sets themselves are slowly, steadily, yet painfully getting better through trial and error, but who cares about a 'New and Never Before Made' minifig if it doesn't look good? Other than fanatical collectors, that is.

But we have to admit that the SW models indeed look better in recent years, although I'm also looking forward to the coming back of OT and PT sets. The truth is, sales of SW was behind Bionicle and other themes some years ago but now SW has become the best selling cash cow. So either it's a strategic success or more people become fanatical fans...

I hardly think that giant piece LEGO uses to attach TIE wings could be called accurate. And that Grievous minifigure could barely be defined as LEGO. There's a point to which you can mold a LEGO minifigure before it stops being LEGO and becomes something else.

Yep. I thought even the original Grievous was better. Pretty soon, LEGO minifigs will become action figures if TLG doesn't do a 180 in minifig design. Or even worse, a MegaBlok... :sick:

Every era had some great sets.

Even the Clone Wars.

Well, I don't collect the Lego SW sets, rather go with the games. But I'd have to say modern SW. They're much more faithful!

I'd have to say modern SW. They're much more faithful!

In what way? As far as faithful to the movies, I think most of them are pretty bad in terms of accuracy and detail, but if you meant the rate at which they're released, we are definitely seeing more these days. That, however, is a double-edged blade. More sets means spending more money or choosing only a few to buy.