Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

Review: 6899 - Nebula Outpost

The Nebula Outpost was one of the last Exploriens sets I collected. In the catalog images, it looked like a giant robot, and so I wasn't very interested. Then I saw it in the clearance aisle, and realized it was a base. Or something along those lines, at least.

Stats:

Name: Nebula Outpost

Number: 6899

Theme: Exploriens

Year: 1996

Parts: 156

Minifigs: 2

Original MSRP: $15 USD

Links: Bricklink, Peeron, Brickset

The Box

zbox_art.jpg

I discarded my packaging many moons ago, so this one is provided thanks to Peeron.

Instructions

Front

img_3018.jpg

The front of the instructions shows the same picture as the front of the box, minus the Exploriens logo in the upper right hand corner.

Back

img_3019.jpg

The back shows some alternative models. I've tried building that spaceship before, but with the limited parts palette, it was very fragile and not conducive to swooshing :hmpf_bad:

Random Page

img_3020.jpg

This page shows the beginning steps of the second level.

Bits and Pieces

The "Big" Pile

img_3163.jpg

You would think that 156 pieces would have plenty of useful parts. You would be surprised. Many of them are very large, and not terribly useful in MOCs, at least to me. There are a lot of smaller black and white plates, if that is what you need.

Stickered Parts

img_3147.jpg

There weren't very many stickers to this set. Two of the Exploriens fossil tiles (which are attracted to magnets; kind of a neat feature) and the metallic stickers. The large 4 x 4 tile is actually borrowed from another set. Ths is one of the few stickers that I've ever had come off.

Printed Parts

img_3148.jpg

Only four printed parts, and they are all the same. They tell the builder exactly how to open the panels. My question is, did we really need a printed piece to tell us this? (Aside from Exploriens, those arrow pieces are also used extensively in UFO sets.)

Interesting Parts

img_3164.jpg

Some of the more interesting parts out of this set. Notice how they are all large pieces that are fairly specialized. At least the stanchion can be used as, well, a stanchion for MOCs.

Minifigs

Minifig

img_2984.jpg

The two rather nice minifigs. I've always sent the one with the elaborate helmet out on expeditions, while the one with the plain helmet stayed at the base.

Minifig Face

img_2985.jpg

Both minifigs share the same face, which is unfortunate. But Exploriens only used two different heads, so I can't complain too much.

Minifig Back

img_3144.jpg

The back of the minifigs, showing the familiar air tanks. There is no back printing.

The Build

The build is very straightforward, and only takes about 20 minutes.

img_3159.jpg

The base is pretty well complete. That lever you see there looks like it was just thrown on. Like a lot of things in ths set (more on that later).

img_3157.jpg

The bottom section is nearly complete. The stanchion piece forms the central support for the Outpost.

img_3155.jpg

The bottom section is complete. You can see that two of the panel pieces open up, while the other two are fixed in place. While it does allow access to the "interior", the design is open enough that the access isn't really necessary.

img_3152.jpg

The start of the upper section. The radar dish can be removed and used as an instrument by one of our spacemen.

img_3151.jpg

For me, this is the highlight of the set. This instrument (or is it an energy weapon?) is pretty simple, but all of the round bricks really make it look special. I was used to the blockiness from the classic space sets of the early '80s.

img_3149.jpg

The upper section is nearly complete. Once again, half of the windscreens are secured in place, while the others rotate on hinges.

The Model

Normally I would show front, back and side views of the finished set. But the Nebula Outpost really doesn't have a true front. So you get to see it from all four sides.

Side 1

img_3133.jpg

Side 2

img_3134.jpg

Side 3

img_3135.jpg

Side 4

img_3136.jpg

After looking at all four sides of our base, one thing is apparent: there is very little space inside for the spacemen to do anything. And there is no easy way to reach the upper section from the ground. I guess the spacement have to hope for low gravity planets.

Bottom

img_3138.jpg

The bottom is where one of my biggest problems with this set lies. The 4 x 4 dishes like to fall off. Easily. And since the entire outpost needs to sit on those dishes, it makes the model somewhat unstable.

The Accessories

img_2983.jpg

Here are our spacemen using some of the instruments to hunt for fossils.

img_2986.jpg

Some of the brick built instruments you might have noticed along the base of the outpost. The red and blue panels are used for finding those fossil tiles. A neat effect, but the instrument is so unwieldy. The magnet can be used to pick those fossils up, but again it is so large that it's hard to imagine the spacemen actually using it.

Conclusion

I've alluded to it before, but I'll just come right out and say it now. The problem with this space base is that it doesn't function very well as one. LEGO spent a lot of time designing a set that had some interesting architecture, and lost sight of how one was supposed to actually play with the set. Having some of the pieces fall off easily even with careful handling doesn't help matters.

Scores

Build: 5/10 The build, though straight-foreward, is actually satisfying. It's fun to see things come together in this set.

Playability: 4/10 This set really suffers on the playability end. The panels open and close, the upper section rotates, and there are absolutely oversized instruments. Whooppee.

Minifigures: 7.5/10 While not as good as classic spacemen, these minifigs are a good addition to any space collection.

Pieces: 5/10 Even though there are 156 pieces, a lot of the parts are large and harder to integrate into a MOC. A good set for black and white plates, but overall the parts selection is mediocre. The set did have a good parts to price ratio, back in 1996.

Price: 6/10 The parts to price ratio was good back in 1996. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pay Bricklink prices for this set.

Design: 1/10 This is where the set fails. It's all show and no substance. Even that wonderfully designed sensor array can't save this one. Having pieces fall off is unforgivable.

Total- 28.5/60 This set completely misses the mark. It's a decorative showpiece disguised as a space base. I'm afraid I can't recommend this set for anyone but the die-hard Exploriens fan.

Full gallery for more pictures, when moderated.

Reason for Edit: fixed Pieces reasoning.

Edited by Walter Kovacs

Thanks for the review.

This is one of the couple sets I'm missing from the Exploriens theme. Considering it's size, I always thought the set looked decent (I still think that it's very unique - though impractical :wink: ) and well packed in the features department. Shame that it wasn't too well executed after all and hard to actually play with. Can't win 'em all though.

Edited by ZO6

This was an interesting concept and a cheap way to get all the standard Explorien equipment (especially the hologram screen sticker, which seems to be missing in your pictures), but the model feels thrown together and has barely any space for the minifigs inside. As you said, I also recall it being pretty flimsy and easy to break when I was a kid.

That being said, it does work pretty well alongside the bigger 6958 set. You can move all the instruments into the main base, and use this model as a secondary, observation tower with a few modifications.

The S@H catalogs say that the thing on the top level is a telescope, although there is no room for the minifig to sit behind it and use it. :tongue:

I think your description, "the little space station that wasn't" is a great way to describe this set. I've never really been able to appreciate Classic Space as much as many of the members here, since I didn't grow up with it. However, I can clearly see this set is a fail. Even a blind man could tell.

Even if I don't like it, thanks for the review! It's nice to relive the past, and I definitely didn't know this set existed before your review.

p.s. - a few of those typos sneaked back into the review - ex. 28 pieces

:blush: It was fixed in the Reviewers Academy. It's fixed here, now.

This was an interesting concept and a cheap way to get all the standard Explorien equipment (especially the hologram screen sticker, which seems to be missing in your pictures), but the model feels thrown together and has barely any space for the minifigs inside. As you said, I also recall it being pretty flimsy and easy to break when I was a kid.

That being said, it does work pretty well alongside the bigger 6958 set. You can move all the instruments into the main base, and use this model as a secondary, observation tower with a few modifications.

The S@H catalogs say that the thing on the top level is a telescope, although there is no room for the minifig to sit behind it and use it. :tongue:

Yeah, that hologram sticker is one of the few stickers in all of my sets that has actually come off. I usually don't have too much trouble with LEGO stickers, and I've applied MANY. The reflective sitckers inside of the deltoid clips that are very common in Exploriens and UFO like to try and come off, as well. Might it be because of the reflective surface?

The review for 6958 is coming soon. I just posted it in the RA.

Great review, Walter! I can't say that I care for the Exploriens line much; they all seem a bit samey to me, but it's nice to see them brought to life like this by an aficionado. But then, I did grow up with Classic Space....

Great review, Walter! I can't say that I care for the Exploriens line much; they all seem a bit samey to me, but it's nice to see them brought to life like this by an aficionado. But then, I did grow up with Classic Space....

Yeah, I grew up with Classic Space, too. But Exploriens brought me out of my first dark age and started me down the dark path to an AFOL. It will always have a special place in my heart for that (or maybe I'll curse that decision forever. The jury's still out :laugh: )

:blush: It was fixed in the Reviewers Academy. It's fixed here, now.

Yeah, that hologram sticker is one of the few stickers in all of my sets that has actually come off. I usually don't have too much trouble with LEGO stickers, and I've applied MANY. The reflective sitckers inside of the deltoid clips that are very common in Exploriens and UFO like to try and come off, as well. Might it be because of the reflective surface?

The review for 6958 is coming soon. I just posted it in the RA.

My hologram screens have stayed on pretty well, but I've definitely noticed what you said about the deltoid hologram stickers. I have several of those stickers coming off slightly at the edges, some of which came from MISB sets and were applied for the first time only 3 or 4 years ago. It probably has something to do with the material they are made of.