Sign in to follow this  
Ezechielle

MOC: Blue Truck

Very interesting truck design......what kind of truck is meant to be ?

Looks a little too long and lots of bits hanging off it !

Still I am guite impressed by the work you have put into it.

I'm a conformist! 'Ezechielle' ! :classic:

Nice try, but I think it's too long for its width and the front doesn't look all that realistic IMO. :classic:

I don't think it's too long. But it may be that it looks too long because the axles are quite close together. In particular I think the front axle should be moved a bit forwards. Apart from that I really like the front part design and the overall detailing.

I like a lot of the stuff you do, but I'm not convinced by this. It doesn't really look all that much like a real truck. The front overhang seems much too long. The whole thing looks a bit too long, actually. What bothers me most about it though is that it seems as though you've greebled it. There are too many bits stuck on the sides of it that serve no identifiable purpose. Superficially it may make the truck look detailed, but I find the little bits very distracting. Greebles look fine on a space ship or other science fiction creation or perhaps on some post-apocalyptic model, but IMO not on a car for a LEGO city.

There are some elements I do like about it, such as the 'wood' on the sides of the loadbed.

Sorry.

Ralph

Thanks everyone for your comments!

To be honest, I'm quite proud of my truck :tongue:

But you are all right, there are many problems: as most of you (not only on EB) pointed it, the "front" is too long. And as Ralph says, there are too many useless "extra parts" but without that, the truck looked empty...

And thanks Grimer, I didn't notice about the axles! I'll try to be more attentive the next time :wink:

But after all, as I said just before: I'm still proud, knowing that this was my first attempt as a 5-wide civilian truck (I've a lot of problems with civilian vehicules, but I'm working! :sadnew: )

Thanks for your help!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

To be honest, I'm quite proud of my truck :tongue:

But you are all right, there are many problems: as most of you (not only on EB) pointed it, the "front" is too long. And as Ralph says, there are too many useless "extra parts" but without that, the truck looked empty...

And thanks Grimer, I didn't notice about the axles! I'll try to be more attentive the next time :wink:

But after all, as I said just before: I'm still proud, knowing that this was my first attempt as a 5-wide civilian truck (I've a lot of problems with civilian vehicules, but I'm working! :sadnew: )

Thanks for your help!

I understand where you're coming from. You're not the first person I know who started building a few cars (in his case after building lots of space ships) and who found it challenging. One of the ways to make this sort of thing more interesting without adding seemingly random bits to it is by taking a good look at a lot of different types of cars. Trucks like this, with a flat bed and the wooden frames alongside it often have bits of the chassis visible. One of my first attempts at a minifig scale vehicle -after a 20 year hiatus- was a farm truck not all that dissimilar to this one.

2515959118_c96c156d6e.jpg

2515958394_903a25e760.jpg

I built it about two years ago and there are a few things that I might do differently if I were to build a similar vehicle now, but overall I'm still quite happy with the look. Anyway, whilst figuring out what to build one of the things I noticed about this sort of truck is that behind the cab and underneath the bed you can actually see the vehicle's chassis. I think that this by itself, and the rear mudguards and the inverted slopes I used to give the impression of extra supports for the bed give it a few interesting points without me having to resort to adding random bits.

The challenge in building a minifig car isn't in adding lots of detail, it's in getting the shape right and in adding just enough detail to make it look convincing. This sort of thing looks easy, but it really isn't unless you've done it a lot. I'm already looking forward to your next civilian vehicle :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ralph