Sign in to follow this  
Big Cam

The banner is acting up

OK, I'm on my friends crummy laptop this weekend while in a drug study and every now and then the banner will be the same ocean scene, but with no writing and a troll being pulled by a boat, along with a few other figs.

Now I know the boat and troll look familiar. Didn't they used to be up in the top right corner of the current main banner?

Someone help me out I think I'm loosing it. Just now in the Community forum, it showed up for like a second while the page attempted to load, then it switched right before my eyes to the current one.

:wacko:

This happens to me. There is also a topic that has a answer by a moderator but I can't find it. :sceptic: Basicaly what it is it's for users who have larger screens. The banner has tons more things on it. I have Opera Web Browser and it allows me to change the zoom of the screen. You're not crazy. ( I seem to be telling a lot of members that. Am I the phycologist of Eurobricks?) :tongue: Hope that answers it. :wink:

Ok, that makes sense because I'm on a small laptop now, but I have dual monitors at work, and a large screen at home.

Yes, just to clarify, this is not a EB problem. It sounds like for some reason the browser is not showing the banner, just the banner background. I'm seeing the banner as normal, even on my small screen Aspire One. :wink:

I know that sometimes if you have a slower internet connection, the site won't fully load. The banner background loads before the actual banner, so even with a faster internet connection, you can sometimes see the banner loading on top of the background.

I'll have to try and capture an image, because its not just the banner minus the words and figs, it is definetaly different figs in different positions, and no words.

I tryed to grab the URL but it's the same as the current banner. I did get a screen shot so you can see what I see for a brief second until it switches to the regular banner.

Sorry it's so big, but like I said I'm on a crappy laptop and I just did a screenshot.

3978085021_f93c45db3d_o.jpg

I tryed to grab the URL but it's the same as the current banner. I did get a screen shot so you can see what I see for a brief second until it switches to the regular banner.

Yup, the same thing happens to me while it loads. I'm guessing it's an older banner, and it just gets override.

Yup, the same thing happens to me while it loads. I'm guessing it's an older banner, and it just gets override.

No, it's not. As I said, it's the banner background. This is (as the name suggests) behind the banner. If the banner fails to load, then all you will see is the background. Why this would happen is anyones guess; the background is the larger image and if anything failed it would seem more likely that it would. Most browsers cache the images so this shouldn't happen. Currently I'm using IE6 on a 64kbs connection and it's loading just fine.

It's not "switching", it's overlayed by the banner. It's how backgrounds work. It's the same way that all those parchmenty things work in the Pirate forum.

What is obviously happening is the background is loading before the banner.. and sometimes it fails. This isn't a EB problem, and it's not a big problem for you either. I wouldn't worry about it. :wink:

A proper answer from the man himself. Thanks for explaining that.

I understand that's its a background, so it obviously was made by someone with the intent of being seen at one point.

Did it ever used to be a regular banner back in the day?

Did it ever used to be a regular banner back in the day?

No. This is how it is supposed to be. There are no errors, bad design or vestigial remains. Let me explain...

Let's just say the banner size is....

XXXXXX

...and the background is...

YYYYYYYYYY

What normally happens is the background and banner are shown together, and it looks like this;

XXXXXXYYYY

Why is it done like this? This is so there is a banner that covers the whole window top without causing a horizontal scroll bar. To do this you make a banner that is the same width (or less) than the average screen size, and add a background that matches. A background can be easily set to only fill the avaliable screen, unlike a banner. The background can also be set to repeat, giving you this effect;

XXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

In summary, we want a banner that covers the whole top. A single image would cause a horizontal scroll bar to appear in small screens, and would be too small for big screens. A banner plus a background gives us the best of both worlds... when they both load.

Get it?

Oh, the lightbulb just clicked, no wonder some of the images looked familiar.

Thanks for the lesson. :)

That's actually quite brilliant.

Thanks for the lesson. :)

My pleasure. It's worth it providing we get there in the end! :grin:

That's actually quite brilliant.

Yeah, it's quite impressive what you can do with CSS.

My pleasure. It's worth it providing we get there in the end! :grin:

Yeah, it's quite impressive what you can do with CSS.

No wonder your a root admin.

I have a fair knowledge of how forums work and coding, but not that much. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next oddity that needs explaining.

This has been brought up before. There has to be a background image to repeat behind the banner. If you're using a slow connection you'll only see the background until the banner loads. Normal connection speed should deliver an instant download...

This has been brought up before. There has to be a background image to repeat behind the banner. If you're using a slow connection you'll only see the background until the banner loads. Normal connection speed should deliver an instant download...

Ya, I have a great connection at home and at work.

But I'm in a drug study and their wireless is slower than dial up at times.