Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

MOC: Fire engine and cars

As some of you may know I have lived in England for a few years. When I moved, I left most of my LEGO collection behind in The Netherlands (a good excuse to buy new stuff!). I've recently moved back to The Netherlands and have been reunited with all of my old stuff, including a lot of my older models. I still like many of them, but compared to my newer models some of them look a bit dated.

Over the years I've picked up new tricks and new parts and I've been itching to have a go at upgrading some of my favourites. Since none of the original models have ever been shown on Eurobricks, I decided to showcase the upgraded ones here now.

For a long time I've had a soft spot for fire engines, American ones in particular, and about four years ago I built a large tiller truck as used by the Los Angeles Fire Department (also inspired by the FDNY tiller truck in 'The Ultimate LEGO book'). I was very happy with how it turned out. However, as I did with many vehicles at the time, I used non-LEGO plastic to add windows. Lately I've been using more and more trans clear LEGO to do the same on my newer models, so replacing the windows was a priority. I was lucky to get my hands on a few unblemished trans clear macaroni bricks and they were exactly the part I needed. Older pictures are on brickshelf

3946797695_fe883b7d37.jpg

The windows are the most obvious change, I suppose, but there are all kinds of little things I fiddled around with. I filled in a lot of little gaps in the construction of the ladder, replaced the windows in the cab for the tiller driver and changed a lot of other details.

3947580956_ce1ea50d8c.jpg

Replacing the windows was also a priority on two more older models I updated: a Ford F150 pick-up truck and a BMW M-Roadster (the sportier version of the BMW Z3). I built the Ford back in the UK a few years ago. The BMW was built when I was back in The Netherlands for Christmas. Older pictures of these are on brickshelf as well: BMW, Ford

3946796835_5463116e94.jpg

In addition to the windows, I fiddled around with small details and replaced the home-made stickers I used for the license plates with LEGO parts. I also replaced the wheels on both.

3947575720_e4c0878913.jpg

All in all, much nicer IMO. I hope you agree.

Cheers,

Ralph

I LOVE Lego!!!

And I love when I see something like this. :cry_happy: Thank you for creating such masterpieces, Ralph!

Dont stop building! :classic:

For my part I don't really like the trans-plate-builded car windows. The final effect is, that there is no clear window any more. I know Legoland cars are all made this way, but in my eyes it still lacks reality.

But your (giant) fire engine is great! Is it working? I believe it is - can you show us some pics of the extended ladder?

Where do you put it? This huuuuge car will blow every shelf, won't it?

And one more question: Will a technic-figure fit to the scale you used?

Thank you for the great pics of your wonderful built!

I LOVE Lego!!!

And I love when I see something like this. :cry_happy: Thank you for creating such masterpieces, Ralph!

Dont stop building! :classic:

Thank you. I think you can count on me to keep building. I love the things you do too, by the way.

For my part I don't really like the trans-plate-builded car windows. The final effect is, that there is no clear window any more. I know Legoland cars are all made this way, but in my eyes it still lacks reality.

But your (giant) fire engine is great! Is it working? I believe it is - can you show us some pics of the extended ladder?

Where do you put it? This huuuuge car will blow every shelf, won't it?

And one more question: Will a technic-figure fit to the scale you used?

Thank you for the great pics of your wonderful built!

You're welcome. The windows are definitely an acquired taste. I'd rather have these than no windows or non-LEGO windows. There are some cars where I could easily leave them out. However, cars from the 'fifties tend to have panoramic windows and look odd without them. Take a look at these two for instance.

2841911161_721ec795c4.jpg

Having one car with brick or plate-built windows and another one without them sitting side-by-side doesn't look right. I did consider making the windscreen on the BWM using trans clear panels instead. Many of my vehicles end up needing windscreens that are an odd number of studs wide, but the BMW is an exception. However, the thicker edges of the panels interfered with the opening hood. Compromises, compromises!

The fire engine probably isn't quite as big as you imagine it to be. It's about 90 studs long. It's a lot easier to fit on a shelve than some of my airplanes! I'm not sure whether I could actually squeeze technic figures inside (probably not -not enough legroom), but they do seem to be more-or-less the right height. The truck does have a number of working features, including opening doors. The ladder can be extended. I didn't take any new pictures of that, but I do have an older one (from before the latest update)

lafdtiller_23.jpg

(I hope the picture isn't too big)

Cheers,

Ralph

You did fantastic job Ralph!

Getting so much detail in a 10 to 12 stud-wide model is awsome!

Keep up the good work.

And keep up posting ofcourse!

You did fantastic job Ralph!

Getting so much detail in a 10 to 12 stud-wide model is awsome!

Keep up the good work.

And keep up posting ofcourse!

Thank you. I've really enjoyed minifig scale stuff, which for me end up being 5-7 studs wide, but this larger scale still has my preference. Certainly the smaller cars like the BMW wouldn't really be doable on a scale much smaller than this.

I will keep posting!

Cheers,

Ralph