Sign in to follow this  
MightySlickPancake

Narrow gauge trains

I thought about narrow gauge trains and couldn't think how to make corners (it is 4 studs wide) then after looking on brickshelf i saw.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/CJthecoo...ple_of_doom.jpg

could the track in this be used in narrow gauge trains because in my coal mine, it would look really cool but how could they be motored? and what do you think?

:pir-wink: cb :pir-laugh:

Edited by Hinckley
Picture larger than Site Guidelines allow

I think they can be used for narrow gauge trains. The set is yet to be released (even if some have them), so very few have gotten round to actually experiment with it. But, I think motorisation is possible, if you're willing to compromise, that is.

First of all, you'd have to build a compact drivetrain, and motorise it similar to how it's done in Emerald Night. The wheels would have to tucked inside a 5- or 6-wide frame, covering the wheels, but then again this is how it's usually done. The receiver and battery box would have to be onboard a trailing car, to prevent the locomotive from becoming too large. To keep size down, one might also have to use micromotors instead of the regular motors. It'll keep size down at the cost of both speed and power, but then again these trains usually drive at very low speeds.

Judging by how sharp the curves seem to be, I'd say the cars also have to be pretty short before using bogies, and also possibly too sharp to use the normal train buffers as well. Might have to use technic-towballs to connect the cars, then.

Other than that, we can only guess.

That's what I've also been thinking about lately. I've been planning on a tram for our town and have come up with the idea of using narrow-gauge tramways. After a bit of research, I think it's doable and am right now planning to get started on a 5-stud-wide design. Can't wait to receive the 7036 Dwarves' Mine I ordered off Bricklink and get my hands on those 4.5v train tracks!

So I would also be extremely interested in some details regarding the motoring of such narrow-gauge tracks...

thanks Asya & Bobby Otters and Freddie but i probably wont buy his set as it look expensive and only for parts and tracks, also i hate indiana jones. but if i was given it i would give it a try.

Edited by crabboy329

The question remains if these tracks are seperate pieces of or a couple of large pieces. It doesn't seem to contain straight pieces. :cry_sad:

Anyway If you make a six wide tram on these tracks it would look pretty good.

Ech! This set is terrible! Look at the bricks. Obviously it is intended to be underground, but why then is the track sitting on 'metal' supports? And there are very few small MOCing bricks too. I'm somewhat dissapointed. And I'll wager that they'll flog it off for about $120AUD! *shakes head*

Ech! This set is terrible! Look at the bricks. Obviously it is intended to be underground, but why then is the track sitting on 'metal' supports? And there are very few small MOCing bricks too. I'm somewhat dissapointed. And I'll wager that they'll flog it off for about $120AUD! *shakes head*

Yes, the Temple of Doom set does seem overpriced. It doesn't look like there's any features except for moving the mine carts. It seems a bit "thrown together", as if someone had to rush to finish it.

Edited by ILikePi

It seems a bit "thrown together", as if someone had to rush to finish it.

Pardon me for saying that, but that's just how the Temple of the Crystal Skulls left me feeling as well. Is it just me or are the "big" IJ sets not really as awesome as most Indy-fans would want us to believe?

The question remains if these tracks are seperate pieces of or a couple of large pieces.

If you zoom in on the picture you can clearly see these are single-piece molded rails, based on those used for the trains. I was hoping they weren't, but now I'm hoping there's any chances of getting straights.

Pity. Because these would be great in a mine MOC.

Thanks for posting that link. It looks like the Temple of Doom set has 6 pieces of track. Four are curved ones, and two slope down.

OFF-TOPIC: Are those "horn" pieces at the top-right of the picture glow-in-the-dark? I'm not completely sure, because the box art shows the pieces as dark green.

Edited by ILikePi

OFF-TOPIC: Are those "horn" pieces at the top-right of the picture glow-in-the-dark? I'm not completely sure, because the box art shows the pieces as dark green.

Judging by the color of them on the photo, they look as glow in the dark indeed. Similar to the creator PF dinosaur.

Regarding the tracks, they look promising to me, but the're not very usefull if TLC is not also planning on adding straight pieces to the 4 wide rail.

Could you not use the old 12v straight track with 2x6 plate 'sleepers'?

Yes, and one better, using the old 12 track (and some RC straights if you want to save parts) you could create a dual gauge railroad line. Place the old 12 curve track on either side of the 4-guage track from the indie set, and place the 12 track on 2x8 plates (or on RC straight track) to make your track. I'm thinking it may be possible to use the flex track with its' guide rails in the same fashion.

--Tony

Yes, and one better, using the old 12 track (and some RC straights if you want to save parts) you could create a dual gauge railroad line. Place the old 12 curve track on either side of the 4-guage track from the indie set, and place the 12 track on 2x8 plates (or on RC straight track) to make your track. I'm thinking it may be possible to use the flex track with its' guide rails in the same fashion.

--Tony

Dammit, you're making me tempted to buy a stupid set just to experiment with that! :pir-laugh:

some one said that in this picture it states that they are like the 12volt ones (at the bottem by the red arrow) 7199_misb_-_1_-_2.jpg

i just wantd to correct them. but if they where like that then the curved track woud be uneven.

' SavaTheAggie ' i can just understand what you just said but i wont buy any flexi track and i only have 4 straight pieces of 12volt track, i think it should work but do you know that the 4 wide gauge trains will wit in that gap?

the obvious answer would be to use 12 volt straights but the mine i had in mind would be on a huge curved hill coming in and out of the mine. if worst comes to worst i will just use 12 volt straights :cry_sad:.

(arent i just difficult to please :tongue:)

Edited by crabboy329

Offtopic to this topic regarding the 6 wide (4 wide in between tracks) rails in the indy set. But regardig the flex-track, theoreticly they would allow for double width rails as you can smoothly guide them inside or outside of the regular RC tracks. This would mean with a double track this way you might be able to build 18 wide trains. Or possibly something like Schwerer Gustav:

dora.jpg

Which uses a double track to ride on. With the current tracks this would be impossible, because you can't make double paralel tracks with them. The flex-track might allow to do this.

i do belive it could be possible as the flexi track does havs the guides sections. but you better have a small curve or it wont work. i would look great if you or some one else trys to have a go i would say go for it cause it would look amazing.

:pir-laugh: cb :pir-wink: