Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

6493 - the most pirate of non-pirate sets

6493-1.jpg

I've witnessed it being criticised, called silly or accused of being just a parts pack, but also being called a valuable source of parts for Pirate theme, and I've seen it used in Pirate MOCs. Well, what do you think, is it useful for Pirate MOCs? Or maybe it's good the way it is?

Well it's got a hull no ship from Pirate line ever had, it's got some other parts useful in a real Pirate ship set - figurehead, mast, ratlines, monkey, two pirate hats... But is the whole set worth getting for a Lego Pirates' fan?

I'd say no. I'm PRETTY sure that hull was in some other pirate set, though I might be wrong. But overall the whole theme was poorly done, even for a parts pack. Sure, you get a few useful elements, but you'd do just as well if you had gotten a pirate ship for the same price. IIRC, that theme was pretty over-priced. Maybe some people liked it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Just my opinion of course ;)

The colour of this hull has been used in no other set besides 6493.

And yes, I thought this set would be great for pirate parts so I went and bought one off eBay then built it to see if all the parts were there. After I'd finished building I decided I liked it so much I decided that I'd keep it how it was and no use it for MOCs. What the pictures don't show you is when you push it along the floor the wings fap and the propellor spins!

Forunately, no long after I was able to win the grey hull in another eBay auction for a ridiculously cheap price under US$2. Best eBay find I've ever made! So now I get to keep the set and I have a spare hull.

There are a few other Piratey sets... I could of had that set AND an Imperial Trading Post(in near-mint) for around $100.00... but I was in a dark age... and in fact, rebuilding those 2 sets brought me back...

Damn I wish I had that Trading Post... and this set... for its neat Hull and decent parts... when I am not lazy I will find other sets that are pirate-ey (or someone will do it before me!)

There are a few other Piratey sets... I could of had that set AND an Imperial Trading Post(in near-mint) for around $100.00... but I was in a dark age... and in fact, rebuilding those 2 sets brought me back...

Damn I wish I had that Trading Post... and this set... for its neat Hull and decent parts... when I am not lazy I will find other sets that are pirate-ey (or someone will do it before me!)

I have two Imperial Trading Posts myself. One built and the other gone into spare parts, however I might build "The Cutter" from the second one anyway. Just so I can have two. The Cutter is the title the ship in the Imperial Trading Post seems to have adopted, by the way.

You are aware that The Cutter's hull isn't one individual piece, as its made up of dozens of smaller pieces? Which makes it unique because its the smallest ship in the theme and its the only one that doesn't use a hull piece. Just a pitty there weren't more like it released as standalone sets.

When I am not lazy I will find other sets that are pirate-ey (or someone will do it before me!)

Do you have a slave? :-D

You are aware that The Cutter's hull isn't one individual piece, as its made up of dozens of smaller pieces?

When I said "This Set" i meant the Crazy Time Cruisers ship... as I like those dark hulls!

But I would really like a freekin' Imperial Trade Post... and I really like that little merchant ship... how come we haven't seen many(any?) MOC's of boats like that?

Wow I'm going off topic alot lately.

I cannot afford a slave yet. The money I used to buy a slave I'd rather buy more lego!

Ah yes, the dark hulls! I have two so nerrrr!!! As far as I'm aware 6493 is the only set they were available in.

But you go off topic all you like then I'll come along and create a new thread out of the off topic posts and our Pirate (and Castle) Forum will flourish more!

Two of everything eh! I guess most of it must cost alot going to Tasmania... most Lego I see comes from Europe or USA... I have seen a bit from Australia but it is not too much!

I asked a person in Switzerland how much it would cost to ship me an Eldorado Fortress... $30.25 AMERICAN!! Already on top of the large amount i'm paying for the set itself!

It must be even more to Tasmania...

And yes, 6493 is the only set to have those hulls.

Could the admins please add a poll to this thread?

The question:

What do you think of the 6493?

And answers:

It's a valuable parts pack but nothing more

It's a valuable parts pack and a good set on its own

It's a good set on its own with parts useless for MOCs

It's so bad it's not worth getting at all

Thanks!

I could create a poll with those options then move the posts from this thread over to it, but I don't have the magical powers to add a poll to this thread. *sing* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Perhaps you should do it, I think the result will be the same. The old thread will be deleted of course?

Actually I can't! If I merge this thread with a new poll thread then the poll disappears. And I can only move individual posts into a new thread, it won't let me choose a different thread to move them into. How annoying! You'll have to ask the Admins afterall...

last week i was in a toy shop thinking: "shall i just get this set or go for a star wars set?"

in the end, i didn't buy either.

sure, the theme sucks big time; sure, you get a weird collection of parts; sure, the sets are expensive

on the other hand, if you're a pirate fan, and love to build ships, it might be a lot cheaper to buy this set then to buy a real pirate set.

Or you could just go and buy parts at bricklink, however, you will then miss out on the shear fun of opening a box, looking for the instructions, assembling the model,...

You'll have to ask the Admins afterall...

I've PMed xwingyoda.

What I like about the grey hull is that you can easily make it longer using custom middle sections built with grey inverted 45 degree slopes on both sides of the hull. They are much more popular than brown ones for brown hulls. White hull of the Armada Flagship and the black one of the Cross Bone Clipper have the same advantage.

3660.png

According to peeron there is this many of such bricks:

Old Dark Gray - 257 in 52 sets

Old Gray - 322 in 113 sets (the 6493's hull is in old dark gray but anyway...)

Black - 1014 in 258 sets

White - 515 in 168 sets

Old Brown - 26 in 10 sets

I created the poll Dreamweb !!! Its here !!

So I will lock this topic !! Lets continue this discussion on the poll thread not to have two threads on the same subject ;)