Sign in to follow this  
Lord Antonio

History Project

Im a TFOL (Teen Fan Of Lego) and kinda new here and I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on how to do an ancient greek battle with lego.

My history teacher wants a diorama with phalanxes and chariots and i sprung at the chance to use my stache of lego but im not sure how to do the chariots. I plan on posting pics after its finished.

welcome on EB, Antonio! Maybe i've some ideas for you: for phalanxes for example, you could just use a normal spear, wich you can enlarge by using a lightsaber handle and a lego stick (don't know how to call them in English; they're the same as used as wands with HP).

Good luck :wink:

Use custom roap for the chariots (or if you have the roap used in Pirate ships/castle/technic that might work too. just combine one or two horses with a grey small plate that has brown (or dark) wheels (2) and a 2-3 high line of grey small bricks.

Most charioteers have a bow and a secondary weapons as well (spear/sword/midsized axe,...) depending on their nationality. (Egyptians: bow +axe, Romans: bow + sword, Greeks: mixed weapons)

Phalanxes have a spear, but also large (mostly) square shields and a shortsword, remember that (they look a bit like a Roman legionare).

Spartan phalanxes were the best BTW.

Does it have to be LEGO or can you use other products. Because Brickforge has a bit of exactly what you need. Check them out!

Use custom roap for the chariots (or if you have the roap used in Pirate ships/castle/technic that might work too. just combine one or two horses with a grey small plate that has brown (or dark) wheels (2) and a 2-3 high line of grey small bricks.

Most charioteers have a bow and a secondary weapons as well (spear/sword/midsized axe,...) depending on their nationality. (Egyptians: bow +axe, Romans: bow + sword, Greeks: mixed weapons)

Phalanxes have a spear, but also large (mostly) square shields and a shortsword, remember that (they look a bit like a Roman legionare).

Spartan phalanxes were the best BTW.

Uhm... Romans didn't have war chariots. Only for games and parades for example.

You cuold use a spear with a "technic figure ski pole" or an enlarger like in the viking ship to make the spears longer.

Although, you are mentioning the classical Greece period, not Alexander the Great? Phalanxes were composed of heavy hoplites, with bronze shin guards, linnen or bronze breast armour, and a bronze helmet. For helmets you could use the shadow knight helmet, or my design (mor appropriate for Attic helmet than Corinthian):

Greek helmet

Then you also have lighter infantry varying in armour and weapons like bowmen, slingers, etc.

I'm no expert on war chariots in the classical Greece period, but I think they weren't used anymore at those time by the Greeks. (Mind the Persians etc. did)

Hope that helps

TT

Also, in the game Rome: Total war, there are great examples of Roman, Gallic, Carthagian and Egyptian soldiers, and Greek as well of course! You may get some nice inspiration of pics on the web of this game (or you could buy the game: it won't be more then E8,- by now :wink:)

I haven't studied Greeks since I was 10-12!!!

(Really? I'm learning about them now, and Im 15)

Anyway, not sure about the chariots but a lego phalanxes would be interesting to see.

Also, in the game Rome: Total war, there are great examples of Roman, Gallic, Carthagian and Egyptian soldiers, and Greek as well of course! You may get some nice inspiration of pics on the web of this game (or you could buy the game: it won't be more then E8,- by now :wink:)

Note that although the game experience is great, the accuracy is very low, as multiple troops from different times fight together at the same time...

TT

Note that although the game experience is great, the accuracy is very low, as multiple troops from different times fight together at the same time...

TT

True. But it stays a game, not a history book :tongue: . There are just some nice ideas for soldiers from the ancient times, that's all.

ive talked with my teacher about it and he dosent seem to care what age of greek warfare i use. also i dont think ill be able to get a hold of any brickforge gear and all i have that will work on this project are castle legos but Mr.Brown (my teacher)dosent mind as long as the phalanx formation and chariots are corectly represented.

If you have any elastics from old bionicles or something else, I would recummend those since they are just so useful.