Sign in to follow this  
Errorist

Hms Hood

I've been following this project from the moment it started, which was some 6 months ago.

And I'm surprised that it hasn't been posted here yet.

Any way, I'll let some of the pictures do the talking for this amazing project :wub:

j_bow_and_stern.jpg

k_section_3_guns_guns_guns.jpg

Personally I would like to see some more fine details and I would have used bars instead of those taps for the railings but still it's an amazing feat!

Here's the link to this guy's Brickshelf.

Errorist

Would go nice with that enormous carriƫr I saw last week on brickshelf, veteran EBs know which one Im referring to, I forgot the creators name I fear.

It is the HMS Hood that got sunck by the Bismarck.

It looks great. :thumbup:

I can think of some points to improve it, the details arent that yet indeed, but it isnt finished, so we cant start complaining already!

Edited by zorro3999

Wow, you have done a great job on this battleship. If you want to finish the railing, I think you can get some off of PAB on Lego.com.

Wow, you have done a great job on this battleship. If you want to finish the railing, I think you can get some off of PAB on Lego.com.

It isnt his Manta, Its a "Brickshelf Find"

You think HMS Hood is good?

Look at this!

Project Yamoto

Ive been following since 2002! :wacko:

I think he gave up... :grin:

Look at this!

Wow, thanks for the link Joey Lock, it really looks I have to spend more time "Brickshelving"

I hope he didnt give up, that would be just sad...

wow I really want to see it finished! will be a really awesome huge ship.

Awesome work, and he's building fast like nobodies business.

The tiled hull and the SNOT decks are great!

I do however think that the sides of the hull are a bit too low, but in different pictures in the folder it seems higher..

Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for sharing David! :thumbup:

It isnt his Manta, Its a "Brickshelf Find"

Look at this!

Project Yamoto

Ive been following since 2002! :wacko:

I think he gave up... :grin:

Ah but I also know about this project. I think it even has a thread somewhere around here.

But these 2 aren't the only battleships on BS though.(Most definitely not! :tongue: )

Here are 2 other MOC's that deserve attention.

Both are made by someone called Lindsay F. Braun.

And as far as I'm concerned they're both better than Hood and Yamato combined.

Here's the First One! A German WWI dreadnought.

And here's the Second One! The Japanese heavy cruiser Takao.

Here's the First One! A German WWI dreadnought.

And here's the Second One! The Japanese heavy cruiser Takao.

Both of 'em look great ! I found some more on Brickshelf but none of them had the size of the ships posted in this thread.

Edited by zorro3999

I think you guys ought to wait for the Hood to be finished before making any judgements on which is the better model, if any. The Yamato is absolutely fantastic, but after six years would appear to still not be finished. You'll have to admire the builder's dedication. I tend to get fed up with things that I don't complete within six weeks. I've seen the Hood today, because the builder happens to be a good friend of mine. It's not quite finished yet, but I helped him put the funnels (smoke stacks) on it, all the guns, all the boats and the mast to see whether all of them would fit and to have a look at where it is going. He aims to finish it before Saturday, when it's due to go on display at the Great Western Lego show in Swindon in the UK. It is simply stunning and photographs don't quite do the size of it justice. All due respect for Malle Hawking (the builder of the aircraft carrier) and Lindsey Braun (the builder of the dreadnought and the Japanese cruiser), but their ships aren't in the same league as either Hood or Yamato, in size, in detail and in accuracy. I'm not just writing that because he is my friend, because if it were shit, I'd be the first to point that out to him.

It hasn't been posted here yet, although I built a Fairey Swordfish to go with it and mentioned Hood in a thread about that about two weeks ago.

BTW, In one of the pictures in this thread the freeboard at the aft guns turrets looks very low. That is because it actually was on the real ship -almost ridiculously so. Lightsaber bars would look nicer than taps, but on those there's nothing to hold the cables in between them in place, so they weren't an option.

Cheers,

Ralph

Is your friend aiming to break the world record (largest Lego ship) Ive read the Hood would measure over 6 meters

The carrier of Malle Hawking was/is (as you know,but some others maybe not) 4,52 m long, 1,37 m broad, 1,22 m high and measured 160 kg.

More then 300.000 bricks were used and it had over 80 airplanes and more then 5000 crewmen. That was good for the world record (in 2006) and according to my sources it still has the world record.

I could have overlooked it, but I didnt find any other statistics from the Hood like size and crew.

I wish you both much luck on the Greay Western Lego Show, your creations will certainly attract a lot of (positive) attention.

I wasnt comparing the Hood to any other ship, I even said we should wait because on the pic above it wasnt finished yet.

PS: I like your Swordfish MOC :thumbup:

Edited by zorro3999

If I'm not mistaken, I think one of our members posted a biplane that he was asked to build for the Hood.

But wow, amazing ship. Not going to be fun to dust. Or store. Great bragging rights though. :grin:

Is your friend aiming to break the world record (largest Lego ship) Ive read the Hood would measure over 6 meters

The carrier of Malle Hawking was/is (as you know,but some others maybe not) 4,52 m long, 1,37 m broad, 1,22 m high and measured 160 kg.

More then 300.000 bricks were used and it had over 80 airplanes and more then 5000 crewmen. That was good for the world record (in 2006) and according to my sources it still has the world record.

I could have overlooked it, but I didnt find any other statistics from the Hood like size and crew.

I wish you both much luck on the Greay Western Lego Show, your creations will certainly attract a lot of (positive) attention.

I wasnt comparing the Hood to any other ship, I even said we should wait because on the pic above it wasnt finished yet.

PS: I like your Swordfish MOC :thumbup:

I know you were one of the people who said we should wait and you weren't comparing.

Ed is not aiming for a world record. What he wants is an accurate scale model of HMS Hood built in LEGO. We've talked about the numbers of parts he's used, but he's given up counting. A real Nimitz class carrier indeed carries 5000 crewmembers and its length is about 330m. (I doubt Malle's model had 5000 minifigs on it, BTW). Hood was 262 m long and carried roughly 1400 crew members, so the real ship was smaller. However, Malle's ship was built to a much smaller scale than Ed's (roughly 1/43) , which makes the model of Hood about 6.1 m long. In case people can't quite judge how long that is: it's longer than, say, a Mercedes S-class. Carriers are far wider than battlecruisers, and despite the difference in scale it'll be narrower than the carrier at about 74 cm wide.

I'm glad you like the Swordfish. Pretty much every brickish member that I know who will be attending is getting really excited about this event and we're all pulling out all the stops.

Cheers,

Ralph

Dear Errorist,

thanks for bringing this up. I've been following this on brickshelf as well.

And boy does that guy build fast!

I really like the details of the exterior.

Kind regards,

Teddy

I know you were one of the people who said we should wait and you weren't comparing.

Ed is not aiming for a world record. What he wants is an accurate scale model of HMS Hood built in LEGO. We've talked about the numbers of parts he's used, but he's given up counting. A real Nimitz class carrier indeed carries 5000 crewmembers and its length is about 330m. (I doubt Malle's model had 5000 minifigs on it, BTW). Hood was 262 m long and carried roughly 1400 crew members, so the real ship was smaller. However, Malle's ship was built to a much smaller scale than Ed's (roughly 1/43) , which makes the model of Hood about 6.1 m long. In case people can't quite judge how long that is: it's longer than, say, a Mercedes S-class. Carriers are far wider than battlecruisers, and despite the difference in scale it'll be narrower than the carrier at about 74 cm wide.

I'm glad you like the Swordfish. Pretty much every brickish member that I know who will be attending is getting really excited about this event and we're all pulling out all the stops.

Cheers,

Ralph

I read the fact is has 5000minifigs on it on a Dutch website (miniland.nl) that holds track of Lego world records, I must admit it looks unbelievable so I dont know if its true or not, some carriers have even up to twice that amount but representing that with Lego :sceptic: ??? Maybe it should be 500, that would be believable.

I can understand why people are getting excited about such an event, I would be too if I knew I'd be able to make a visit! :classic:

I also understand your point some people dont "get" how large 6m is... I can barely do so myself (my sleeping room is only 6m so...)

:thumbup: for Ed and his Hood !

Edited by zorro3999