1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

This is my views on this set.

2881273677_76c4e3a4aa.jpg

Above picture is of the right side profile of the 8294. You can see both LAs and the PF motor.

2882106918_f12024af83.jpg

Above is the left side profile. You can see the pole reverser.

2882109278_1c0cd47868.jpg

Above is the top view. You can see the pole reverser and the gear box selector. the gear box selector is used to switch between the LAs.

2882111056_d66653c3fe.jpg

The build is done with the help of two manuals.

2882113890_ae0a3df248.jpg

2882112444_6d77a46f3d.jpg

I didn't take any photo during construction so above are random photos of the manual.

2882115454_d70cd713be.jpg

Above is a size comparison with the 8455 Back-hoe Loader. As you can see it is a perfect size so that both models look and play well with each other.

Conclusion

This set benefits from the PF set 8293. The PFs help with how you can play with the set. The motor is powerful and can be used to lift six AA batteries. I would think the LA help with this power.

If I was TLG I would have released this set with the PFs instead of the 8297 Off Roader. I would have paid AU$120 for this set plus the the PF motor, clutch and pole reverser.

Price 9/10- Really good value. AU$79.99 for 720 pieces including two LAs and 60 tracks.

Playability 7/10- with out PFs and 9/10 with PFS

Build 7/10- The model came in numbered bags. I feel numbered bags save about 1/3 of the build time. The model took me 3 hrs to build.

Overall 23/30 without PFs and 25/30 with PFs.

If you have any question feel free to ask.

:edit:

PS I do not know how to add a pole. Could a mod be kind and add one if they feel it appropriate.

Edited by KimT

Good review.

The main thing I don't like about this set is that the bucket arm lacks three degrees of freedom like a real excavator, so it's a step down from the old 8851 excavator I have. This is easier to do with pneumatics but can be done with the LAs as well. I do like the overall look and feel of the model though, so I might get it anyway and try to mod it with a third LA.

Thanks for this fine review.

I've never been much of a technic fan myself, but I must admit that this looks kinda cool to me.

Not sure wether and older set is better or not.

This is a beauty and perhaps I'll someday consider building some of my old sets or even buy a new one.

Great review :thumbup:

It was good to see the instructions for adding the PF motors included.

Although the only reason I bought this set was to get the Linear Actuators.

Thank you for your encouraging replies.

As for the three degrees of movement on the digging arm. I do not think it take anything away from playing with the model. It is much easier to control two degrees.

I want this set but I've kind of blown my budget for LEGO... :blush: I especially love how neatly the battery box fits in. Thanks for the review. :sweet:

EDIT: Somebody rated this set as poor.... :cry_sad:

Hey thanks for the review, i really wanted to buy this great set when i saw it in target for 20% off!

I resisted though and i'm glad because i'm saving for the PF Buldozer which i consider a must have.

I'm kicking myself i didn't get that one while it was in the shops...

Anyway, does anyone think the tracks look slightly oversized for the scale of the rest of the model?

I think the excavator arm being so slender makes the tracks look abit bulky.

Just a minor detail, I would still love to have this set.

If I saw this at target for 10% off I would jump on it. Dang. I want this for the treads. I have the black ones but want to get a set of the grey now.

looks like a nice set!

Kmart have it for $54 at the moment, i might go pick one up

Kmart near my house is the suck. I went there and all they have are bionicle which I loath. Well lego store has double stamps this month so maybe a good time to pick it up.