Posted (edited)

LEGO Technic Model Team Crawler inspired by the 10220 T1 Camper Van. This model has 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering including 'crab steering'. This small scale model can be build in multiple configurations: Camper, Service Bus and Pick-Up Truck. It's controlled by PoweredUp with standard remote and Pybricks (no device needed). 3 steering modes are available: normal steering, parallel steering (crab steering) and independent front and rear steering. Free building instruction and parts list available on Rebrickable.

Edited by Berthil
typos

Very nice model! I'm impressed how compact the axles are despite including the planetary hubs. Using steering links to hold the lower ball joint of the hubs is pretty clever.

How do the dimensions compare to 10220? Your 4x4 version looks slightly smaller to me.

Posted (edited)

@lmdesigner42 Thanks! It was indeed a puzzle to keep the chassis with tires less than 17 studs wide, a requirement for my LUG trial truck competition (together with the 56 tire size), while using the new and stronger steering components including new planetary hub.

You are correct about the smaller size, the body (without fenders) is two studs less wide than the 10220 but about equal length. Still I fitted 4 side windows in, like in the real life T1.

For those who do not go through the free instructions, please note the extra rubber 'suspension' on top of the normal springs. This gives about 1L extra suspension travel. I haven't seen this construction in other models and it works well when keeping the chassis weight pivot point as low as possible. It works not so good with more weight on top as can be seen in the video with the more top-heavy blue Service Bus configuration.

Edited by Berthil