Hi guys!

As some of you may know, I'm a huge off-road fan. I never really saw the potential in on-road, and sometimes found it boring. But then, I watched a few drifting videos and instantly saw the potential to make a LEGO drifter. I got in touch with my friend @N1K0L4, which is an on-road fan and has experience in the field, and sent me a couple of chassis designs. I obviously chose the most overpowered one :wink:

You can check out N1K0L4's chassis here, and the full rebrickable post here.

IMG_20240420_200639.jpg

Now, let's go with the details:

Features

• RWD with 2 BuWizz Motors
  • Steering with a C+ L motor
  • Realistic looking bodywork resembling Ken Block's Hoonitruck
  • All fueled-in with a BuWizz 3.0 unit

For me, one of the most important functions is the drivetrain. It's built in a very clever way with the 2 BuWizz motors leaving just enough space for housing the BuWizz 3.0 unit. It's RWD, which isn't true to the real-life counterpart, but N1K0L4 is working on a new version with AWD and it's looking very promising! updates about the AWD version will be made in this topic.

drivetrain2.png

To finish it off, the steering was added, using a rack and pinion setup to have as little slack as possible as that's a key factor in mini-racers. It's steered with a C+ L motor as said earlier, with this being my first time using C+ electronics. I have mixed feelings about it, but more on that later.

vlcsnap-2024-04-24-19h03m48s508.png

The bodywork was an interesting one. I wanted it to be as accurate as possible to the real deal, but I had to use white mudguards as LEGO for some reason doesn't produce them in black. Still, they didn't spoil too much the body for it to be recognizable, so I'm happy with it. Still, it was somewhat flimsy and would tear to pieces if I hit a jump wrong. Still, N1K0L4 has also addressed this while still making it more accurate. I guess union makes strength :laugh:

vlcsnap-2024-04-24-19h04m26s973.png

vlcsnap-2024-04-24-19h04m03s637.png

For the video, I wanted to use a different setting in comparison to my other videos, as it's a very different model to the previous ones. I chose to go to a skate park, as it had some smooth concrete sections for drifting, and ramps to do some jumps, which is exactly what this model was built for. The model handled excellently in spite it's RWD, although I'm not used to models this fast, so I hit jumps wrong dozens of times. There are some included in the video, but many weren't included, but I'm considering making a bloopers video. How would you guys feel about that?

However, the parts didn't like the skate park, as concrete is very abrasive to abs plastic. The splitter was melted and torn to pieces, and the tires lost most of their thread in the process, up to the point where I had to use to sets of them to record the video. I guess I'm a bit of an aggressive driver, but you should be aware of that if you build this model.

About the C+ electronics, I'm not fully sold out. They do have some pros, like the more convenient shape of the motors or the faster response, but they show some disadvantages when taken into closer inspection. The steering trim was a pain to get right, and even when that was the case, it still veered ever so slightly to one side. I think it has to do with the fact that the 0 position is digital and not physical. Still, I'm considering using them in future build mostly because of the easier integration, but will probably stick to PF servos for faster models as they return to center more accurately.

Feel free to post a comment about what your thoughts are about it, and see you in the next one!

2 hours ago, Another Brick in the World said:

but N1K0L4 is working on a new version with AWD and it's looking very promising! updates about the AWD version will be made in this topic.

So, here's the first update:

After some iterations, this is the driveline I came up with. Geared down 1.25:1 from the fast output of the BuWizzΒ motors it'll be some 15% slower then the RWD version, but with more torque.

PIC_3-Hoonitruck_driveline.jpg

I also improved the looks and stiffness of the body.

PIC_1-Hoonitruck_body.jpg

PIC_2-Hoonitruck_body.jpg

PIC_4-Hoonitruck_1st_update.jpg

Β 

Now I just need to connect everything into one.Β :classic:

I'd think at that scale with 2x buwizz motors you could gear up the buwizz motors rather than down..

Great donut machine! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘

I guess with awd real drifts are possible , you should try this 😊

3 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

I'd think at that scale with 2x buwizz motors you could gear up the buwizz motors rather than down..

I could, but then it wouldn't have enough power for drifting because of 4WD.

2 hours ago, FriedlS said:

Great donut machine! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘

I guess with awd real drifts are possible , you should try this 😊

It should be able to drift quite nicely with some tape on the tires or on some slippery surface.