Wurger49

[MOC] Mercedes-Benz 770 and Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter - Alternate Build of 2 x 77012 Fighter Plane Chase

I've recently been thoroughly enjoying "Masters of the Air" on Apple TV, and it's sparked my interest in WWII-themed LEGO sets. While browsing, I stumbled upon the 77012 Indiana Jones Fighter Plane Chase set, which boasts impressive minifigures and two decent models—a Citroen Légère Cabriolet and a Pilatus P-2.

Taking inspiration from this set, I embarked on a creative endeavor, utilizing parts from two 77012 sets to craft two distinct builds: the parade car Grand Mercedes 770 and a single-seat twin-engine heavy fighter reminiscent of the Luftwaffe's Messerschmitt Me-410.

The Grand Mercedes was used by high-ranking officers of Nazi Germany during World War II. It is powered by an inline eight-cylinder housed inside the long bonnet with two spare tyres, while repurposed headlights now serve as rear-view mirrors. Able to accommodate four minifigures on its eight-stud-wide chassis, the vehicle features a central door hinge separating the seating areas, with the trunk doubling as additional seating and storage. The folding fabric roof is simulated using a variety of tan and grey pieces.

As for the Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter, its power emanates from twin liquid-cooled inverted V-12 piston engines, with cylinder heads positioned below the crankshaft, denoted by low exhaust ejectors. Unlike traditional German design, which typically places radiator and oil cooler inlets on the wings, LEGO's rendition follows the P-40's configuration. Despite limitations with the four-blade propellers (as opposed to the historical three-blade design), the model accurately captures the Me-410's blunt nose armed with two stud shooters, an armoured headrest within the cockpit, an elongated fuselage, and a prominent vertical stabilizer. I extended the wings while maintaining sturdiness, utilizing round tiles to depict the aircraft's roundel insignia.

Its narrow landing gear, reminiscent of iconic planes like the Spitfire and Bf-109s, can be easily detached to showcase the model in flight mode, adding versatility to its display options.

Instructions are available on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-173739/Wurger Bricks/mercedes-benz-770-and-messerschmitt-heavy-fighter-alternate-build-of-2-x-77012-fighter-plane-chase/

Mercedes-Benz 770 and Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter - Alternate Build of 2 x 77012 Fighter Plane ChaseMercedes-Benz 770 and Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter - Alternate Build of 2 x 77012 Fighter Plane ChaseMercedes-Benz 770 and Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter - Alternate Build of 2 x 77012 Fighter Plane ChaseMercedes-Benz 770 and Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter - Alternate Build of 2 x 77012 Fighter Plane ChaseMercedes-Benz 770 and Messerschmitt Heavy Fighter - Alternate Build of 2 x 77012 Fighter Plane Chase

Edited by Wurger49

The car is, IMO, the star of this thread. The plane isn't bad, I just like old cars more! :grin:

But seriously, great work!

On 3/2/2024 at 2:26 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice mods. The touring car adaptation is quite ingenious.

Thank you, I did the car first, and took pieces from the plane to make it better too. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:25 AM, Murdoch17 said:

The car is, IMO, the star of this thread. The plane isn't bad, I just like old cars more! :grin:

But seriously, great work!

Cheers, I also like the car better!