Sign in to follow this  
whitswj

Febrovery creation- 1990’s Mega Core Magnetizer X2

Febrovery Day 17 1990’s Mega Core Magnetizer X2

Febrovery Day 17 1990’s Mega Core Magnetizer X2

OK, I cheated on this one for day 17 of Febrovery. I used two 6989’s and threw in 2 panels not included in this set, but I’ve been meaning to make this one for a while. This was one I had intended to make for Febrovery 2019 but never got to until this week. While not incredibly imaginative in the respect that I tried to keep true to the original set, I did want pay an M:Tron homage to the Solar Power Transporter. I will revisit this concept many times over. 

If I had to part with (see what I did there) all my LEGO and could only keep one set, the Mega Core Magnetizer would be it. It is my favorite LEGO set. The form, color, functionality's were perfect- and those big megablocks tires were awesome. If I could change anything, I would make the M:Tron figures more interesting (maybe more cyberpunk), but with this set, you got a couple of jet packs to make up for that. The steering feature and crane also added some nice mechanical features.

Interesting side-notes: This set was also called Multi-core Magnetizer in the U.S.   M:tron itself had been referred to as Magna:Tron in some of the articles I have read about it. I have no idea why these changes were made. 

I have more Febrovery creations for 2023 on Flickr and Instagram- 

This looks great. The road train design fits really well with the style of the original.

For the middle trans neon panels, did you rub off the blacktron printing or are they prototype parts?

16 hours ago, CP5670 said:

This looks great. The road train design fits really well with the style of the original.

For the middle trans neon panels, did you rub off the blacktron printing or are they prototype parts?

CP5670, I hope you are doing well. They are probably neither. They are unprinted Blacktron panels, most likely a printing error. There used to be a lot more of these available. I remember seeing a bag of 6 of them at brickfair in 2010 (I think) for 40 bucks. I wish I had bought them. One other possibility is that the first group of Blacktron-2 sets may have had stickers for these like the exploriens base had. I’m not really sure on that. 

I have previously attempted using a product called brasso to remove the print on various parts. It’s not perfect but it works the best out of anything that I have tried. There still is evidence of the print especially on a transparent part and it gives it a dull finish.

2 hours ago, JesseNight said:

Nice, and it works!

Next version twice the width? (would be a possible challenge)

That sounds like an interesting and fun challenge.

I'm doing well, thanks! Yeah I have used Brasso to remove scratches in the past but it leaves a cloudy look on the parts afterwards. I also have a car headlight cleaning fluid that does a decent job without leaving the cloudy look, but it might not be strong enough to remove printing.

7 hours ago, whitswj said:

That sounds like an interesting and fun challenge.

I was kinda visualizing the idea of the regular model, just upped in size with a huge cockpit area using both the big quarter panels connected, and a huge loading area with crane behind.
Of course I am not sure how well it all works out since I never owned this model. As a child I was all about the space ships and cared less about ground vehicles :laugh:

What else could possibly be better than a 6989, but TWO 6989s? The mirrored construction actually primarily reminds me of the monorail trains. Very well executed. A very long time ago, I tried a similar thing with the SP1 6886 and it wasn't amazing. :laugh:

I've never tried it on translucent parts, but I get a pretty good result at removal of prints by using a pencil rubber (eraser). Works best on flat or convex surfaces, minifig legs are difficult at times. No need to fear unwanted chemical effects.

I think you have to call this the Mega Mega Core Magnetizer (Giga Core?), and this turned out great!