Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 80054 Megapolis City 5th Anniversary

Here is my review on LEGO Monkie Kid 80054 Megapolis City 5th Anniversary:

THE GOOD:

• Very lively looking build!
  • Interesting selection of shops and businesses. 
  • The best mini builds for Gacha machine and A Claw Game.
  • Very authentic roast duck restaurant.
  • Tons of cool references and easter eggs through out.
  • Excellent selection of minifigures.
  • A working elevator.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• The ferris wheel did not work as smooth as it should.
  • Less coherent comparing to Lantern City which is a very similar sets.
  • Some references/easter eggs are completely hidden. (why bother adding it? XD)
  • Laziness in using the same head for both the Silver Horn and Golden Horn demons. 

It may not beat the Heavenly Realm or Legendary Flower Fruits Mountain but I'm generally surprised how much fun packed in this.  I had a fun building experience and ended up liking the set in the end.  First off, it looks big but actually it's not that massive but it is indeed very tall due to the antenna on top.   It has a very stable structure on the centre main piece, it also comes a varieties of buildings consist of shops and businesses have not appear before.  The highlight of this set is definitely these buildings.  While I'm not a fan of stickers, this set has tons of excellently designed stickers, although I did find a few very difficult to apply mostly due to me building the set in the evening and there is one stickers sheet using the clear transparent materials.  There are couple of shops I really like.  The Osteopathic Clinic, Gacha Machine Centre and Pigsy's Roast Duck.   For me, these are great mostly due to my cultural background and I think LEGO did a great job capturing the authenticity of these despite the very limited space.  The Gacha machines are great build.  (google what are these if you are not sure). The Roast Duck place, have every key elements you often see in these kind of shop while I admit the use of the Turkey piece may not be the best in terms of size ratio.  In terms of the Osteopathic Clinic, the interior has some smart builds but more importantly, it allows me to make joke/reference on the not so legit massage places you often seen in some Hong Kong crime thrillers XD. The other shops have some great references too.  For example, the record shop has a nirvana easter egg on one of the sticker with an excellent sign build.  The Jade gallery has a very nice way on displaying gems.  Now, this leave us with the Ferris Wheel and the elevator.  The elevator is a smart build and it works pretty well although I wish it can fit more than one minifig but I guess I'll be asking too much.  The ferris wheel might be the weakest from the excellent selection of buildings, not because it doesn't look nice but it doesn't work smoothly as I expected as one part keep getting contact on the piece holding it.  Not sure it's by designed or just me haven't get the alignment right. BUT, at the side of the ferris wheel LEGO probably gave us the best mini build of a Claw machine.  It's such an excellent build and it also comes with a green classic spaceman helmet!   As with most Monkie Kid, this set comes with excellent selection of minifigures.  I particularly like the silver and golden horn demons, clearly these are playing a homage to Daft Punk.  Although LEGO is a bit lazy in terms or parts of these 2 minifigures, instead of 2 unique heads, they both share the same minifigure head.   

To sum this up, this is a good Monkie Kid set with the usual positives from most Monkie kid set, it may be as good looking as the other and I still think the Lantern City might be just a bit more superior than this one.  But it has enough details and fun references to make me like it.  And if you have bought the Lantern City and Monkie Hideout, you will able to combine them into a massive Monkie Kid set.  LEGO did not provide the instruction but it's all up to you.  At $300NZD though, this is very pricey and probably $250 a more reasonable price.  While I recommend this set to everyone especially you are into eastern cultures, I would suggest you wait for double VIP or a nice GWP to offset the high price.  For me, I used my VIP points =)