Clone OPatra

Disney Properties 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

24 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Minidoll set based off the original film... does this mean that if the minifig set were released at a future date, it will be based off a remake of some sort? Clamshell all over again?

I meant more that there was rumor it would be based on the Lego Disney Princess special aired on Disney Plus. Dragon Maleficent shows up with Gaston and fighting Tiana and Ariel so it was unsure if it would be off of Sleeping Beauty or the Special.

35 minutes ago, hikouki said:

One year of excitement over the dragon and then this anti-climax.

The set could still be released next year as the concepts are too dissimilar to be the same set :classic: I highly doubt they turned an 18+ diorama set with a brickbuilt Maleficent dragon and minifigs into a 6+ minidoll playset with a dragon with moulded pieces :laugh:

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The set could still be released next year as the concepts are too dissimilar to be the same set :classic: I highly doubt they turned an 18+ diorama set with a brickbuilt Maleficent dragon and minifigs into a 6+ minidoll playset with a dragon with moulded pieces :laugh:

Hope you are right. Was Lego afraid that the red dragon from D&D will face off with Maleficent's dragon form?

This is very disappointing especially after how well done the Snow White set was.

If they later on release a minifigure version of the set as a diorama, that could at least differentiate it from the playscale minidoll version. Something like the Peter Pan set, since we haven't gotten any more sets in that vein.

22 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

This is very disappointing especially after how well done the Snow White set was.

If they later on release a minifigure version of the set as a diorama, that could at least differentiate it from the playscale minidoll version. Something like the Peter Pan set, since we haven't gotten any more sets in that vein.

What could possibly be holding Lego back from releasing this set this year? I hypothesized about the D&D dragon. Is it just that?

I feel like Lego should pick three or four classic fairytales/ movies for each year to feature as a minifig set based on a vignette/ location. This year, they did Peter Pan, Snow White, and Little Mermaid (albeit not the classic version).

Beauty and the Beast is long long long time overdue.

22 minutes ago, hikouki said:

What could possibly be holding Lego back from releasing this set this year? I hypothesized about the D&D dragon. Is it just that?

I feel like Lego should pick three or four classic fairytales/ movies for each year to feature as a minifig set based on a vignette/ location. This year, they did Peter Pan, Snow White, and Little Mermaid (albeit not the classic version).

Beauty and the Beast is long long long time overdue.

It's the 65th anniversary for the movie as well this year so you would think they'd prioritize a set that would actually honor the original film rather than a minidoll set they can release anytime as part of the DP theme. The dragon thing sounds like the only plausible explanation that it might clash with D&D. Like how Gringotts was spaced out the year before D&D since that also has a dragon.

I know people were hoping for another Peter Pan style set, themed to BATB, but I have a feeling it was that Pan was a one-off like the train set with the parade floats. That also had people speculate we would get similar sets with more parade floats themed to different movies. Honestly, I'd be surprised if either set sold well enough to warrant more. The Pan set especially was way too overpriced. The lack of Michael and John, the most generic Nana, the scaled down versions of Peter Pan and Tinker Bell which you can get in a much cheaper set, and Wendy not even getting her hairbow, were all enough reasons to avoid this set.

I wonder if the sales numbers of the clamshell and Disney Castle are a contributing factor as well. I can see Lego looking at the two biggest Disney Princess centric sets last year not doing well as a sign that Disney Princess only sells if they are minidolls and chose to swap an Aurora and Philip minifigure for minidolls as a result. Snow White might have been too far into production (with the new Dwarf beard molds) to change but I haven't looked into the cottage sales to know if its enough to make Lego second guess themselves.

41 minutes ago, OttoRiver said:

[…] sign that Disney Princess only sells if they are minidolls and chose to swap an Aurora and Philip minifigure for minidolls as a result.

Highly doubt it. The design work on the Maleficent minidoll set started roughly a year ago, by which point the Castle wasn‘t even launched and the clamshell had just hit shelves. They can‘t completely overhaul a set this spontaneously and with no real sales data to work with. Besides, the success of any given set (or most toys for that matter) can only really be assessed after Xmas, given how many of them end up under a tree :laugh: