Grosnus

Motor 88017, Hub 88012 and Powered Up app

Hi
I've purchased parts 88017 and 88012 at an auction site. Supposedly original LEGO and new. They came in these simple white boxes.

I'm trying to move the motor in any way using the Powered Up application. The hub lights up blue and connects normally in the application. I provide the simplest possible setup in the app, click Play and wait, but I am unable to move the motor at all.

Anyone know what might be going on? I feel like it must be some simple problem, but I can't figure it out. Is it possible to safely connect power directly to the motor cable without hub to check whether the motor itself is working?

405037140_2063166777369633_3894305426923150706_n.jpg

404622308_350288227748156_3056516476141872011_n.jpg

I think the program starts the motor and then immediately the program ends - and stops all motors.

Put the hourglass behind the motor block, what happens?

I've tried now putting hourglass behind the motor and after that in front as well, still nothing.

Indeed, my idea was wrong, sorry. It should work.

There are several problems with these particular motors reported by 42131 and 42146 owners. They do not connect to HUBs properly, maybe there's additional bug/feature with them in PoweredUp.

Posted (edited)

Take this procedure provided by Lego support as an inspiration. Helped me in my case. Hope ut does in your case too.

Do you also have the City Hub and remote? If you have the same problem I had (firmware problem) then the motor should work with the City Hub and a remote.

Both the hub and the motors have firmware installed. Our app programmers have noticed that it can sometimes happen that the firmware on the motors and the hub do not communicate properly with each other and this particular problem occurs accordingly.

You mentioned that you also have the 42114 set. Can you please try the following.

Connect the hub of the 42146 Liebherr crane to the app by selecting the Volvo 42114.

Remove the two L-Angular motors that do not fit the Volvo set and connect the XL motor and L motor.

The app should now automatically request a firmware update. If this is not the case, switch the hub off again and follow the next steps.

Forced firmware update:

While the hub is off, open the Volvo in the app until the app asks for the hub.

Press and hold the hub button until it flashes purple.

Release the button and the app will ask for a hub update.

Confirm this and let the update run without minimising the app.

As soon as the hub is updated, repeat the steps with the other two L-Angular motors.

Once everything is at the same level, reconnect all L-Angular motors as they are needed for the 42146 set and connect the hub to the Liebherr crane.

Edited by Andman

Thank you all for tips and links.

I've used method to update firmware using technic control app and it worked! Now Powered Up app correctly moves the motor! Thank you so much for help :cry_happy:

Basically I've decided I will start my LEGO adventure again after years now as an adult as I always wanted to do some complicated technic projects and when I've learned there is now something like Hub controlled from app and with ability to code behaviours I was very excited so I've bought 3 large angular motors and 1 technic hub with four ports and don't really have anything else at this point except big mix of random parts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Burko-uk said:

How to make something simple really complicated...

Normally there is no need to update the firmware manually.
And if so : just start the powered up app and connect the technic hub, FW-Update starts immediately if necessary.

Or set the Hub in bootloader mode and connect.
It is very simple.

The method described in the earlier postings above is only a method to do a manual update with the Control+ App

Edited by Lok24

On 1/6/2024 at 2:35 PM, Lok24 said:

And if so : just start the powered up app and connect the technic hub, FW-Update starts immediately if necessary.

Apparently, it does not seem so straightforward, given that the OP was using the PU app from the start, and it seems that the update did not happen automatically for him.

It is very simple.

I doubt more than 0.1% of users knows what that even means and how to do it..

20 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Apparently, it does not seem so straightforward, given that the OP was using the PU app from the start, and it seems that the update did not happen automatically for him.

That's true.

I tried with an old tablet, and mine did, don't know why

21 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I doubt more than 0.1% of users knows what that even means and how to do it..

Yes true as well.

But I referred to:

On 1/6/2024 at 1:47 PM, Burko-uk said:

How to make something simple really complicated...

Yes, it takes knowledge, but it's not really complicated.
From my point if view.

Additional idea:

My version was rather old. That's why it started update immediately..

Perhaps the version of @Grosnus was pretty new, and the corrected FW had the same version number?

(which would mean: two FW, same Version-number, different behaviour)

Actually, I came back to this topic to look at the method again, because I've encountered the same problem with another purchased motor + hub.

So basically I've purchased once again single hub and one motor and once again motor does not move at all, despite the fact that I am testing it on exact same project I've created in Powered Up for previous hub and motors (and over there everything works fine).

Regarding this:

It is very simple.

The method described in the earlier postings above is only a method to do a manual update with the Control+ App

unfortunately this does not work for me.

So here's what I did exactly this time:

1. I added batteries to the hub (4 ports, screws at the bottom version).

2. Connected motor (angular large) to port A.

3. Opened Powered Up app.

4. Opened my project that worked previously without issues with another same version of hub and other 3 same angular large motors.

5. Pressed green button on hub to start connection.

6. The hub connected and immediately update automatically started. There was a bar with 0 to 100% percentage going on screen.

7. Update finished normally. But still the motor doesn't rotate at all.

Just tried it now. It does.

That means there must be a a problem with new hub's firmware, right?

I mean, before I try the Control+ app method and most likely irreversibly fix this again, we can do some investigation if that might help somebody in the future :P

Edited by Grosnus

You mean firmware versions? How do you check what version of firmware there is currently on Hub or other devices?