SNIPE

[MOD] C+ Conversions for PF sets - Directory

Hey all,

Since we have a thread already regarding the unofficial conversions of C+ sets to PF, I thought I would create the opposite, - a thread to convert PF to the newer C+.

The reason for doing this is because while PF will always have a big place in my heart, most of my PF components have seen better days, so I thought it woudl be useful for "modernize" the old sets such as 42043, 42042,42054, 52055, 42082, etc etc, and there's a lpt to do but thats OK.

I will start by listing the PF sets from 2007 all the way to 2019 but first a little bit of executive info:

• The goal is to keep the sets as simular to the original as possible, incorperating these conversions into a MOD is probably best left for the sets dedicated "MODs thread".
  • The use of WeDo, NXT, EV3, BOOST, Powered Up Spike Prime, Robot Inventor is OK as long as it has demonstrated exaustion , where there is no possible analogue to a given PF component.
  • There must be a balance between keeping the set as original as possible, but where needed, certain PF parts will need to have "creative" solutions to get the same behaviour, and I think those should be  mechanism oriented rather than software oriented as long as it does not change the set too much, but software based solutions can be used in more extreme circumstances.
  • This thread is only for Technic sets that contain power functions, no other themes.
  • This thread also covers technic sets with optional motorization.
  • This thread also coveres B models that had official motorization
  • Some examples of such parts may be IR recievers and remotes, the PF switch, the PF battery boxes where the switch is conneceted to technic beams to create an external on/off switch, etc.

Now onto the set list:

8292 A model
8292 B model
8294 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
8295 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
8297 A model
8297 B model
8258 A model
8258 B model
8264 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
8264 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') B model
8265 A model
8264 A model
8043 A model
8043 B model
8049 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
8052 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
8052 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') B model
8053 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
8070 A model
8109 A model
8110 A model
8110 B model
9395 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
9396 A model
9397 A model
9397 B model
9398 A model
9398 B model
41999 A model
42000 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42006 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42008 A model
42008 B model
42009 A model
42009 B model
42024 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42025 A model
42025 B model
42029 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42030 A model
42030 B model
42038 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42039 (with '8293- PF addon kit') A model
42042 A model
42042 B model
42043 A model
42043 B model
42050 A model
42052 A model
42052 B model
42053 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42054 A model
42054 B model
42055 A model
42055 B model
42065 A model
42065 B model
42066 A model
42066 B model
42068 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42070 A model
42070 B model
42080 (with '8293 - PF addon kit') A model
42080 (with '8293- PF addon kit') B model
42082 A model
42082 B model
42095 A model
42095 B model

Links to the replies which contain a digital model can be accessed by clicking 'A model' or 'B model'

Replies can also just be to discuss stuff related to this threads topic.

I'll start working on some of the models soon, when the LDRAW OMR is back online. I also need testers to build some of the real converted models to make sure they work.

Putting PU components into PF sets is gonna be a huge task. The first difficulty that came to my mind is size. PU L motors are 8 studs long, while PF L motors are 7, and PF M motors are 6. The fact that PU motors are longer means when I put PF motors in, there is usually some space left for gearing down and clutch mechanisms without drastic changes to the surrounding structures. But putting PU motors in the space reserved for PF motors might require redesigns of surround structures, though.

25 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Putting PU components into PF sets is gonna be a huge task. The first difficulty that came to my mind is size. PU L motors are 8 studs long, while PF L motors are 7, and PF M motors are 6. The fact that PU motors are longer means when I put PF motors in, there is usually some space left for gearing down and clutch mechanisms without drastic changes to the surrounding structures. But putting PU motors in the space reserved for PF motors might require redesigns of surround structures, though.

Yeah, I agree but I'm gonna give it a shot

Posted (edited)

Took a break from building the Orient express and decided to start with 42070 chassis, I tried converting 8275 first but that one will be much harder.

This chassis is almost done, will upload the digital file soon, not sure how I will make instructions.

I used a C+ M motor (white)

and a C+ XL motor.

The only major change was that the steering rack is now in front of the wheels rather than behind.

you'll need aound 10 common parts extra like axles and axle jointers.

20240105_172939.jpg

I'll use a C+ dumb batttery box in place of the PF battery box.

I could upload the entire converted ldr model but it is based on @Philo's model, so idk if i'm allowed to share it or not. I'll leave the file author as philo since he did the hard work of making the model (I don't have anywhere near that much parience!) so as long as its OK with philo, Ill share the LDR file.

Update 8/1/2024

Model amost finished, all functions working fine, This model can be driven via a phone running a suitable app, or via a powered up remote.

The code for the powered up app I will need to make and then upload.

20240108_190801.jpg

20240108_191002.jpg

Edited by SNIPE

72070 DONE, access to the hub button is done thru the gap in the seats

Here is the LDRAW model, since @Philo did most of it, I'll leave his name as the author as per the CCBY2 licence code

PU app Controls are here, I still need to program it.

It uses one C+ XL motor, one PU M motor, And one C+ smart hub

You can use a PU remote, or a smart device to control it
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg

Not sure how the instructions will be made, perhaps someone else can help with that as it sounds too tedious for me.

For my next set conversion I chose one of the smaller technic sets, So therefore I chose Big Red 🙂

Edited by SNIPE

15 hours ago, SNIPE said:

For my next set conversion I chose one of the smaller technic sets, So therefore I chose Big Red 🙂

Great choice but that's the one PU set I own so I don't need a conversion :laugh:  Although I did convert it to C+ full RC after I was done playing with my 42100.  Unfortunately I don't have a complete design file for it or I would post it.  Doing the conversion of the original set should be pretty straightforward, only one motor to deal with and it's got space.

Now I feel like building Big Red again...  such a good set.

9 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

Great choice but that's the one PU set I own so I don't need a conversion :laugh:  Although I did convert it to C+ full RC after I was done playing with my 42100.  Unfortunately I don't have a complete design file for it or I would post it.  Doing the conversion of the original set should be pretty straightforward, only one motor to deal with and it's got space.

Now I feel like building Big Red again...  such a good set.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of C+ full RC mods on rebrickable but oh well, its only single motor and theres 1L extra space behind it, which means that  the C+ motor (which is 1L loner) should fit in fine.

Trouble is I don't want to start building big red until ive made the 42070 instructions first so that I can dismantle 42070.

I could just use the 42070 C+ LDR file  which is already competed, as the guide for the instructions.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:20 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Varies a lot depending on the set though. With something like 42055 you can just swap the motor and battery box with minimal modifications, though it might require two motors as PU XL motor isn't as powerful as PF XL. I believe many other single motor sets would be similarly easy, while sets with multiple motors (like 8285 or 9398) would be significantly harder. Full RC mod to non-RC sets is of course going to make things quite a bit harder, but that's not in the spirit of keeping them as close to original as possible.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:38 PM, SNIPE said:

I could upload the entire converted ldr model but it is based on @Philo's model, so idk if i'm allowed to share it or not. I'll leave the file author as philo since he did the hard work of making the model (I don't have anywhere near that much parience!) so as long as its OK with philo, Ill share the LDR file.

Better late answer than never ;) Feel free to share it or any similar work I did!