Sign in to follow this  
pow

[TC26] Expedition Camper on Tracks'n'Wheels

I'm also throwing my hat into the ring.
But before we get to the MOC, I'd like to start with a few thoughts!

The designs and MOCs I've seen so far are once again first class! My greatest respect goes especially to the MOCs that contain super complex mechanisms and electronics!

Many thanks to Jim and Milan for this exciting contest.
The rules are cleverly worked out! The choice of color scheme is very exciting and makes this contest (at least for me) a real challenge!
I had to think long and hard about how to approach the given rules.
I realized that I've been a bit, well, one-sided in my choice of colours over the last few years.
I'm super reluctant to buy white sets as this color turns to light tan incredibly quickly.
And although there are a lot of orange/black sets out there, my pieces portfolio of this color combination barely fills a hand.

My choice of MOC:
The first thing I wanted to build was a Walker MOC. I had already started to build the MOC in my head. And
unfortunately had to admit that I couldn't manage the color combination with my few pieces.
My second idea was a kind of contest parody. A polar bear was to pull a broken-down expedition vehicle. The electronics and a motor should be in the car and two or three more in the polar bear. However, I found the idea a little too silly.
Idea number three is a tracked vehicle, without electronics and tiny, but packed with small functions. Nothing special at first. But I only use parts from the four small Technic sets:
- 42116 Skid Steer Loader (white and red pieces and gears)
- 42117 Race Plane (white pieces and propeller)
- 42133 Telehandler (white pieces and wheels)
- 42148 Snow Groomer (tracks and red peices)
This makes a comfortable 600 pieces - approx. But the question is: are the white pieces enough to produce a MOC that is big enough and offers functions so that it can compete against the big MOCs and also looks cute and fits the given color scheme?

I will continue to expand this text.
But first some photos of my building table.

800x532.JPG

I simply tipped the four sets onto the table and collected the parts I don't want to use (shovel, green and blue parts).

800x532.JPG

The vehicle will have articulated steering and, if possible, the rear axle will also be steerable.

800x532.JPG

The driver's door slides open and the passenger door rotates open. Simply turn the headlight on top.

The build is Minifig-scale, btw.

The sleeping bay will fold out, There will be a communication system, wind turbine, maybe a little crane with some object to elevate. ...stay tuned :D

Edit 14.12.2023: A first render pic

42116-42117-42133-42148-ArcticRescue.png

Update 02.01.2024: Lesson learned! The build is too large!

_DSC4500ready.JPG

I also changed the title from "[TC26] Tracked Vehicle on Rescue Mission" to "[TC26] Expedition Camper on Tracks'n'Wheels"

And I'm not sure if this build will be finished in time!:hmpf_bad::facepalm::sadnew:

Cheers Marco

Edited by pow
Update

2 hours ago, pow said:

so that it can compete against the big MOCs 

Too many worry about big MOCs winning but I don’t think it’s true true, visual appeal will be the most/first vote grabber I believe, whether big or small.

Anyway I like your approach to this and really look forward to see what you make if it!

I’d say build to whatever scale you want. A small neat model with lots of functions can be way more impressive than a large model with lots of space for functions

17 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

visual appeal will be the most/first vote grabber I believe

Good point!

13 hours ago, Seasider said:

A small neat model with lots of functions can be way more impressive than a large model with lots of space for functions

That might be true! It's also a bit more entertaining for the jury to see different approaches, i guess.

Construction is progressing slowly. I am currently still in the prototyping phase.
The idea with the two-axle "trailer" cannot be realized with the limited parts. The whole MOC has to be much smaller and more compact.
The next step will be to move one axle in front of the tracks. And to discard the second axle. This offers some structural advantages. For example, the platform on which the superstructure rests can be changed in length more easily.

_DSC4505ready.JPG

The entire development is recorded. In the end, the video material is turned into some kind of fast forward build vlog. It's pretty boring, tbh.:head_back:
Here is part 1...