Martin_B

[MOC] Modular gothic cathedral (WIP, out of hiatus)

Hi all! Long time, no post. I hope that you're all doing well. I think I went through a second "dark ages" since I last signed in here!

Long story short, I changed jobs, saved up for a mortgage and moved out of my rental place. Now that I'm a homeowner with a spare room, I can finally complete my biggest project.

I'd made a thread about this back when I started it, but that was many years ago now and I've made a bit of progress since then. Considering how it went through four(!) house moves I'm pleasantly surprised that it survived! The only job that I need to do before the final phase of building proper is to transfer the sections that are already completed onto a sturdier foundation than regular baseplates. I recently discovered the "MILS" plate concept that's apparently popular among the AFOL community, which seemed a good idea for a build as heavy and awkward to transport as this one. I've already built a MILS-style base for one section, which makes it 1. easier to carry and 2. gives the opportunity for a crypt underneath the main build, which is intended to give the impression of it resting on the foundations of an earlier, smaller building. It has three layers of bricks between the baseplate and top layer of plates rather than just one, but this thing really is very awkward and heavy! The "east" end with the choir and chevet is on its new base, so I'll do the same with the two transepts so they all match up and connect together.

53356616047_e999f33fb0_o.jpg

53357824634_13afe2d570_o.jpg

53357713193_c12f906cac_o.jpg

I'm now determined that early 2024 is going to be the time when I finally get this thing finished!

Seconded on more pics. Holy cow just look at that thing! You're nailing that architecture! Don't be bashful about posting updates as they come. It'll surely be a beast to finish!