Mr Jos

[MOC] Farming equip (to be disclosed later)

36 minutes ago, 1gor said:

About weight I was thinking what kind if shocks and what quantity you will need in the end. I suppose red are from Porsche GT3 - the hard ones?

Yes they are the 6.5L hard springs (731c07), pretensioned at about 1/3 depth both. They nicely push back the frame upright. I bought some of the newer 9L red ones (79717) as well, but they are waaaay stronger.

10 minutes ago, Mr Jos said:

Yes they are the 6.5L hard springs (731c07), pretensioned at about 1/3 depth both. They nicely push back the frame upright. I bought some of the newer 9L red ones (79717) as well, but they are waaaay stronger.

That is IMHO good choice

A staggered setup I found that works pretty decent.

53371185977_5c813a570b_b.jpg

53371185482_f568f8f33e_b.jpg

When both rearaxles got connected, I noticed my mistake from before. I don't need shocks for the second axis roll. The machine will always level it out. Just need a pivot point as in the 3D.

53372469744_dda5c87f7e_b.jpg

I put a 10L axle through it so I can take off the wheels quickly for now from the chassis.

@Mr Jos Although having pendular axles on such machines in LEGO form might seem like a good idea at first, I believe you'll after some time realize the same thing as I did when building my ROPA Tiger 6s beet harvester with both rear axles equipped with pendular suspension using shock absorbers as well. The thing is that you would desperately need to have the machine perfectly balanced (which is doable), however, when extending the unloading elevator, this balance will be inevitably upset. In this case, I went with one of the axles fixed and the another was left pendular, though you may come up with another solution. The model of mine was narrower (23 studs total / 21 studs wide bodywork), so the width could make difference as well.

Are you planning it to be able to transport bricks pretending to be potatoes, as I did with sugarbeet?

I'll be definitely watching this model growing carefully :wink:

6 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

@Mr Jos Although having pendular axles on such machines in LEGO form might seem like a good idea at first, I believe you'll after some time realize the same thing as I did when building my ROPA Tiger 6s beet harvester with both rear axles equipped with pendular suspension using shock absorbers as well. The thing is that you would desperately need to have the machine perfectly balanced (which is doable), however, when extending the unloading elevator, this balance will be inevitably upset. In this case, I went with one of the axles fixed and the another was left pendular, though you may come up with another solution. The model of mine was narrower (23 studs total / 21 studs wide bodywork), so the width could make difference as well.

Are you planning it to be able to transport bricks pretending to be potatoes, as I did with sugarbeet?

I'll be definitely watching this model growing carefully :wink:

Very nice model! But looks like your pendular system used a large turntable, so not very good uprightening, or I'm missing where the shocks are.

Depending on how it turns out later I'll keep it as it's now or go to a fixed 1 axle as you suggest. For now I'm only using 1 motor for drive and 1 angular for steering (with a 1:3 reduction between the two axles, to get the 11/32° steering). Front wheels will get a steering motor but no drive for now. Maybe I'll have to add a second drive motor as well, then I can remove the middle diff+axle (there's none on the real one anyway). Now that I'm typing that, maybe I'll change that even sooner..

About transporting material, I'll try yes. But I'll first need to understand the complete working of this machine. As this is the first machine I build, which I've never worked on, or seen myself, I'll need to get some explanation from my brother how it should work. (He works with these daily)

And the dual motor setup for the rearaxles is done already. It even allowed me to put the large angular motor for steering in between the axles.

53372251447_f53f3beacf_b.jpg

The pivot point works even much better now, as only the steering axle connects the two, and it's dead center.

53372252797_3bcca9253c_b.jpg

Pretty good compact for my liking with 3 of these large motors inside.

53373482894_83e46021d6_b.jpg

And about those really small angular motors, to bad that they are so expensive, and not many available. I would've liked to use one for the front wheels steering.

EDIT: Offroading test;

53372374072_5e079a3cda_b.jpg

Without weight it already stays nicely flat.

53373735825_979d11ab99_b.jpg

Back to the 3D designing to reverse engineer this solution.

Edited by Mr Jos

On 12/3/2023 at 5:54 PM, Mr Jos said:

But looks like your pendular system used a large turntable, so not very good uprightening, or I'm missing where the shocks are.

You're right, there are 2 large turntables to allow the axle pendular movement. The photos in my WIP topic don't show the current progress though. How lazy I am when creating progress updates, these usually take me a few months to share :roflmao:

On 12/3/2023 at 5:54 PM, Mr Jos said:

which I've never worked on, or seen myself

Haha, same here. After three years of work and just before finishing it, I managed to get to a field and present my model next to the original :sweet:

Keep going and don't give up!

And a little update, didn't have to much free time this week. But I got the front + rear axles finished in Studio + in real. Front axle has suspension + sideshift left+right (manual actuator) and can turn the wheels full 58°.

Today I made the little red cover plate for the front axles. This is something that makes me go out of the comfort zone completely. Normally I only use technic parts, no plates/bricks/slopes/wedges/... A lot of time searching what's available to get the correct angles/dimensions.

53386733057_8cc8e26773_b.jpg

Next part probably the haulm topper that I'll design, then I got the complete front finished and can start going to the back with the chassis.

Edited by Mr Jos