Vilhelm22

10330 McLaren MP4/4 F1 Discussion

My plan, obviously made easier by owning 8445-1 Indy Storm, is to use the much older 6594 49.6x28 tires.  They have a nearly-compatible wheel size to current 49.5mm tires, maybe 0.2mm smaller, on the outer lip, on one side of the tire, and the other fits 4 stud round plates.  So I'll probably build up something of this nature - in picture it's 42716 wheel (thanks mini-Tumbler) and 2 layers of plates.  Have to check what style brakes the actual car uses, if they're at all visible; if not, black macaroni tiles around a 2x2 round tile with pinhole will polish it off neatly.

Btj12d4.jpeg

Ue8ZKqE.jpeg

Relative width to 20mm wide tires is pretty good, 1:13 math says both are a little narrow. Should be ~23/34mm wide... going 28 front and 34 rear with the above 14+20 on the same axle might be the play.    Other things I tried that didn't work as well - old pulleys (they fit but stretch the tire), 4x4 turntable (fits the inside surface of the tread a little too tightly - but looks quite nice texturally), 10 tooth splat (again it's just a tiny bit too tight on the inside surface of the tread - would want to source some dk. grey of course), both versions of the Model Team wheel (original too small, new one's the right diameter but too wide to be useful)

Edited by Stereo

I just built mine, mostly just for the Senna minifig. (although the hair style could have been more accurate) I like it, I totally understand how it's not accurate but for a guy that knows not much about Formula 1, I had a great time and still look good considering the size and price of the set.

I think i'm going to go the route of a hackjob with original LEGO parts.

Get 2x 56904 and 2x 15413 and glue them together, i'll see later how i fill the hallow area of the 56904 tires. Could be as simple as rolling up some black paper.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:43 AM, TheDeeGee said:

I think these are currently the best looking, but i find them far too realistic looking on a LEGO model.

LEGO ICONS Senna F1 Mclaren Mp4/4 Goodyear Replacement Wheels & Tires - Etsy Netherlands

The price is insane. A $70 upgrade to an $80 model is ridiculous. I hate the rear wheels and the helmet but I'm not paying almost the cost of the kit to replace the wheels. That dude could hundreds of those sets if they were in the $30 range. I'll wait for an STL file or 3D printed wheel and tire.

Found these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1693586655/110-scale-mclaren-mp44-tyres?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Lego+senna&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&cns=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

$26. A quick sanding of the slick tread and they will look great.

Posted (edited)

People in the Netherlands can find the printed tires on marktplaats.nl for around 10 euro + shipping. They look great. I found that RAL 9010 matches the Lego white almost perfect, so after a little effort i got this. Still have to do the nosejob :)

WyAj0qeLKEAHyySa70Z2l8m4.jpg

Edited by zonoskar

Can anyone confirm that the McLaren rims fit in the 15413 tires?

On 4/2/2024 at 1:53 PM, zonoskar said:

People in the Netherlands can find the printed tires on marktplaats.nl for around 10 euro + shipping. They look great. I found that RAL 9010 matches the Lego white almost perfect, so after a little effort i got this. Still have to do the nosejob :)

WyAj0qeLKEAHyySa70Z2l8m4.jpg

Really dislike the GoodYear decal, it's way too small.