Sign in to follow this  
Captain Sidecar

First Technic Set, Rather Impressive Value

I was in BigW (Aussie discount chain department store) yesterday, looking for other stuff, and, happening to pass the Lego shelves, noticed they had the 42148 Snow Groomer set on offer for AU$10. Can't go wrong for that price, so I grabbed the last one on the shelf as a first go with Technic.

I've just spent a very enjoyable half hour or so putting it together, and have to confess I think it's excellent value. Admittedly it couldn't be described as a challenging build, but it's a fun way to while away a bit of free time nonetheless. 178 Parts (most of which, and most of the build time too, seem to be track segments), three, yes, three, functions (front and rear ploughs raise and lower, left-right slew on the front one), working tracks, a decent B-model, and scads and scads of alternate build MOCs. For a tenner. Brilliant.

If you're in Oz, check out your local BigW to see if they've still got any. I'd be stockpiling for parts at that price if only I hadn't bought the last one in my local branch.

It's my favourite set of this year and the only one I got, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, it has only been the 10 euro sets that have been worth buying for me the past few years. If you can still find them, I highly recommend the mini claas xerion and the skid steer loader, both equally brilliant little sets.

4 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

It's my favourite set of this year and the only one I got, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, it has only been the 10 euro sets that have been worth buying for me the past few years. If you can still find them, I highly recommend the mini claas xerion and the skid steer loader, both equally brilliant little sets.

42133 is a great set as well!

lego-42133-technic-teleskoplader-1.jpg

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

16 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

15 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

42133 is a great set as well!

lego-42133-technic-teleskoplader-1.jpg

I'm afraid I didn't notice exactly what else was on the shelf. Plenty of 42132 Motorcycles and 42147 Dump Trucks at AU$14 both of which I'll probably buy when I get back there in a couple of days, although they don't seem to be quite as much of a bargain. Still below MSRP though, so not bad. Not sure if.there was a telehandler or skid steer loader though.

I shall check, as these do seem to be an excellent and economical weekly treat, and the models are a nice size as something to fiddle with on my desk. Fortunately I work alone, so no weird looks from co-workers.

18 minutes ago, Captain Sidecar said:

I shall check, as these do seem to be an excellent and economical weekly treat, and the models are a nice size as something to fiddle with on my desk. Fortunately I work alone, so no weird looks from co-workers.

These sets are great value for money as well, given that they include alternate models. Only thing is that you have to download digital instructions; there used to be manuals for the alternates, but they were phased out.

Still, they're often worth building! The dump truck's excavator model is one of the best in recent years.

Well, I've just done some online research and it looks as if the snow groomer, the motorcycle and the dump truck are it, at least from the cheap local sources, and the snow groomer is near sold out from anywhere I can conveniently get to. I did find a reference to telehandlers on clearance for AU$7, but, not surprisingly at that price, they were long gone.

Ah well. What's available will do for now, and I'm sure something else will be along before long.

Next year's January wave includes a "Heavy Duty Bulldozer" in the same price range, so you won't have to wait long if all else fails.

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

On 10/31/2023 at 4:06 PM, Captain Sidecar said:

I've just done some online research and it looks as if the snow groomer, the motorcycle and the dump truck are it

What about the 42117 Race Plane? The original designer made a lot of very good MOCs for it. My favorite is the sea turtle (video link with timestamp to the turtle):

The sea turtle even inspired me to do an animal with connected combined arms-head-movement for the 42147 Dump Truck

Xtra.GIF

Edited by pow
typo

Doesn't appear to be on the shelves in Western Australia. I called into the Lego store in Booragoon yesterday and they didn't have one either. I daresay I could track one down online, but postage would make it significantly less good value.

Anyway, I'll be kept amply busy for a while, sorting and cataloguing the 7.5kg bulk lot of mixed System, Technic and, apparently, Bionicle bits I picked up a few days ago. I could very easily get into simply buying and sorting bulk Lego, and never actually build anything.

3 hours ago, pow said:

The sea turtle even inspired me

That fledermaus is incredible.

11 hours ago, Captain Sidecar said:

daresay I could track one down online, but postage would make it significantly less good value.

german based company alternate.de (unfortunately not in australia) has zero shipping charges - at least today. Maybe you'll find a similar offer if you go on the lookout.

9 hours ago, Jurss said:

That fledermaus is incredible.

Hehe thank you! Someone at rebrickable wrote that it is realistic enough that it (and i'm quoting) "had to be hidden from the cat"! :laugh_hard: