-DoNe-

[MOC] HMS Ironram

The Classic Pirates theme always lacked a larger vessel for the blue/redcoats. At least in terms of sets. In the comics on the other hand Governor Broadside had his flagship named "Ironram". A three-masted 32 gun flagship. It was however never depicted in great detail so the source-material is quite scarce meaning that a few design liberties will be taken on my part.

My plan with this project is to build two models; one colored and built accordingly to the comics and one built with colors and technics that matches the sets from that era (exempli gratia Black Seas Barracuda & Caribbean Clipper). In the end the plan is to also build the latter in real bricks.

Your thoughts, comments and ideas are very welcome.

Following pictures are from the current state of the project.

Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"ronram1Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"_2

Edited by -DoNe-

On 9/16/2023 at 7:25 AM, -DoNe- said:

The Classic Pirates theme always lacked a larger vessel for the blue/redcoats. At least in terms of sets. In the comics on the other hand Governor Broadside had his flagship named "Ironram". A three-masted 32 gun flagship. It was however never depicted in great detail so the source-material is quite scarce meaning that a few design liberties will be taken on my part.

My plan with this project is to build two models; one colored and built accordingly to the comics and one built with colors and technics that matches the sets from that era (exempli gratia Black Seas Barracuda & Caribbean Clipper). In the end the plan is to also build the latter in real bricks.

Your thoughts, comments and ideas are very welcome.

Following pictures are from the current state of the project.

Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"ronram1Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"_2

Do you have a parts list and/or instructions for this model? 

On 9/22/2023 at 2:45 AM, AydenTheCarrot said:

Do you have a parts list and/or instructions for this model? 

Parts list will be available once I'm finished. Instructions I'm not sure of as it would take quite some time.

A lot of progress have happened. The model is now much more complete. Colors have also been corrected to whats actually available. So this is close to what it will eventually look like in real bricks.

Lego Imperial ship "Iron Ram"Lego Imperial ship "Iron Ram"Lego Imperial ship "Iron Ram"Lego Imperial ship "Iron Ram"

This is even better than the first time! Although the colours on the stern are switched around. How long do you expect this to take, my imperials are losing to Redbeard with just the Caribbean Clipper. :)

44 minutes ago, AydenTheCarrot said:

This is even better than the first time! Although the colours on the stern are switched around. How long do you expect this to take, my imperials are losing to Redbeard with just the Caribbean Clipper. :)

The first edition had bricks in colors that were never offered, so i had to make some sacrifices... :jollyroger:

I hear I hear, I shall make the men work faster!

On 9/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, Rogue Redcoat said:

Nice work, perhaps it could use another row of cannons :pir-grin: but overall a great start :thumbup:

It would be fun to make an alternative design of the existing model but with two decks, and more accurate. :pir-laugh: 

Is the  interior for this incredible ship furnished?

and how many pieces do you estimate this has?

sorry for asking so many questions, I just really like this model. I have been looking for an Ironram for months and this is by far the best on I’ve found. Good luck on finishing it! 

The final version is somewhat done! The biggest change I've done since last is to reduce the heigh of the hull by one brick. It might not sound like much but personally I'd say it transformed the overall aesthetics of the ship. It appear much sleeker now. 
I also updated the stairs leading up to the poop-deck. The previous ones didn't work well in the classic pirate style. Lastly a person on Flickr made me aware of the fact I had the balcony wrong. It doesn't slope upwards in the middle, it actually curves outwards!

Lego Governor Broadside's "Ironram"

On 10/2/2023 at 4:07 PM, AydenTheCarrot said:

Is the  interior for this incredible ship furnished?

and how many pieces do you estimate this has?

sorry for asking so many questions, I just really like this model. I have been looking for an Ironram for months and this is by far the best on I’ve found. Good luck on finishing it! 

Don't say sorry. I'm just happy someone is interested in my build! The Governors cabin is furnished, not the most extravagant tho but its there. The lower deck have a floor in it and cannons. However due to the design of the tumblehome they cant quite stand up straight. However I have added a loading bay in the middle (like the one on the black seas barracuda) where one can position minifigures.
Piece count is 1603 pieces! I have tried to not make it all too expensive to built, the hull and masts however will be quite expensive if one have to buy them from Bricklink.

12 hours ago, bingowaldorf said:

I really like how those angles come together at the rear! Are you planning to make your own sails for this?

Thanks! I will be using Brickstickershop's replica sails from to the Caribbean Clipper: https://www.brickstickershop.com/Replica-Sailset-for-6274-Caribbean-Clipper They are great quality and matches up well with the original sails. 

10 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Thanks! I will be using Brickstickershop's replica sails from to the Caribbean Clipper: https://www.brickstickershop.com/Replica-Sailset-for-6274-Caribbean-Clipper They are great quality and matches up well with the original sails. 

Wow I had no clue these replicas existed! When you're done would you be willing to share the studio file? I wonder how this would look with string rigging instead of the ridged lego ones.

3 hours ago, bingowaldorf said:

Wow I had no clue these replicas existed! When you're done would you be willing to share the studio file? I wonder how this would look with string rigging instead of the ridged lego ones.

I was going to ask for the studio files as well, I want to add this ship to my pirates layout.

58 minutes ago, AydenTheCarrot said:

I was going to ask for the studio files as well, I want to add this ship to my pirates layout.

Oh, now I'm intrigued, can we see what your layout looks like so far? :pir-grin:

On 10/4/2023 at 9:38 PM, bingowaldorf said:

Sure! Not entirely sure how one does that but we'll figure it out.

On 10/5/2023 at 1:35 AM, AydenTheCarrot said:

Studio file will be (attempted) to be made available to whomever wishes!

On 10/6/2023 at 3:19 AM, -DoNe- said:

Sure! Not entirely sure how one does that but we'll figure it out.

Studio file will be (attempted) to be made available to whomever wishes!

Is the parts list or studio file readily available? I bought a huge lot of lego to resell but I am going to search through that to find some of the pieces to to construct this masterpiece.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:44 AM, AydenTheCarrot said:

Is the parts list or studio file readily available? I bought a huge lot of lego to resell but I am going to search through that to find some of the pieces to to construct this masterpiece.

Yes I can send it to you!

Updates to the stern have been made! It now slopes witch gives it a much more natural shape.

Lego Ironram

Lego Ironram

Lego Ironram

Edited by -DoNe-

Great Job! :pir-triumph:

With every update, the ship looks better!

I think if you make the captain's cabin a little longer (add some windows, it will look more natural.
And maybe try add some protruding colored things above the captain's cabin windows (I don't know how they are called)

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus