Trekkie99

About Brickshelf...

What is the state of Brickshelf? Are there backups? Are all the models on there safe???

I'll admit to rarely visiting Brickshelf in my early years as a fan, never appreciating the old aesthetic. Now, I love it. And more importantly I love some of the models I'm finding. I was just saying elsewhere I wish I could find some cool mocs that look like old Lego sets, well there's plenty there!

On this note and case in point, What happened to all the models on mocpages?!

As of writing this, creating a new account is disabled and password recovery is broken according to the home page. Has it been like that for long?

Does anyone know if they could be going into some sort of preservation/archiving mode?

Re: MOCpages - Everything on that site was lost when Sean Kenny wiped it from existence, unless the Wayback machine has it... which is doubtful the entire site would be there.

If we ever lose Brickshelf like we lost MOCpages, God help the LEGO fan community. A lot of valuable history will be lost... again.

Edited by Murdoch17

7 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Are all the models on there safe???

As safe as anything hosted on a private domain that barely seems to scrape by... And it's clearly not helping that there's a new one opening every few months..

Mylenium

When Brickshelf started hosting "other than Lego" pics for a bit I used it for a ton of stuff... One day I got on and it was all gone. Don't trust it for long term storage.

SD

Then I guess the next question is does anyone know of anyone scraping/archiving brickshelf? I tried searching a little like on r/datahoarder (a subreddit), reddit as a whole, and general google (not helpful as always as of lately thanks google you pos), but found nothing.