hatchpattern

[ENTRY] UCS Jolly Roger

The UCS Jolly Roger is a celebration of 35 years of Lego Pirates.
This set aims to bridge all pirate themes; taking cues from the noteworthy ships.

Jolly Roger is a generic term for the flag flown by a pirate crew during the 18th century.

53144737960_7c67922add_k.jpg

53144523524_9fe7c22349_k.jpg

The crew consists of the original barracuda pirate family with the addition of three figures.

Blue Squad Leader. Red Squad Leader. Crows Nest Look Out (Intern).

53144801758_c63403e687_k.jpg

53144801753_883dc1da63_h.jpg

53144738075_9e9c60f3aa_h.jpg

53144313616_e61dcf162d_h.jpg

Floors are removable and the walls rotate outward to access the interior spaces.

53144801743_67c5cfedb7_c.jpg

Technic pieces allow the rudder to move left and right by spinning the wheel.

53144738015_360f61f023_h.jpg53144523594_59c7dc7129_h.jpg

53143727052_2d2915fa1f_h.jpg

53144523519_4fd48f7eea_h.jpg

Liberace on the Keys.

53144801843_9cb4fb95fc_k.jpg

The original Barracuda next to the Jolly Roger.

53144757915_fb4a741339_k.jpg

That is one big menacing ship! I like the color scheme feels a lot like the Queen Anne's Revenge. Also like the custom sails and the roping looks nice though I have no idea how accurate it is. I'm a bit bothered by the colorful floorings of the cabin parts - they look like a commercial for LEGO Dots. Also I'd skip half of the same looking pirates and the minifigure lineup although constructed well, needs a facelift and consistency in the age of the head / torso usage.

19 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

That is one big menacing ship! I like the color scheme feels a lot like the Queen Anne's Revenge. Also like the custom sails and the roping looks nice though I have no idea how accurate it is. I'm a bit bothered by the colorful floorings of the cabin parts - they look like a commercial for LEGO Dots. Also I'd skip half of the same looking pirates and the minifigure lineup although constructed well, needs a facelift and consistency in the age of the head / torso usage.

Thanks for the comment!
I saved the mosaics for the last and I agree; im not too thrilled of how they turned out.
I spent all day re-doing them over and over again. Either simplify the design or just use wooden planks.
As for the minifigs, there is inconsistency in the age of course... I love having lot's of crew, so the blue and red squad make it fun.

Awesome!  What an imposing ship!  This is definitely built more in the style of a MOC than an official set, but that's OK, it's big and intimidating and just all around cool!

I do have some minor suggestions:

3 hours ago, hatchpattern said:

the blue and red squad make it fun.

To me, they don't work, pirates wouldn't wear uniforms like that, but if they make it fun for you, by all means keep them.

4 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

I'm a bit bothered by the colorful floorings of the cabin parts - they look like a commercial for LEGO Dots.

I'm afraid I agree with this, simple wooden planks for decking would be fine.  Also, the eyes over the cannons are quite comical but don't fit with the rest of the ship at all.

The double jib design on the front makes no sense.  If you want a flying jib, that's fine and would actually look pretty good on a ship of this size, but one needs to be in front of the other.  And your flags are facing the wrong way :)

There are some really fantastic details in here, the technique for the piano keys is amazing, the windows are well done, the railings where they slope down next to the stairs look good.  And again, the sheer size of this thing is spectacular.  Very nicely done!

49 minutes ago, iragm said:

Awesome!  What an imposing ship!  This is definitely built more in the style of a MOC than an official set, but that's OK, it's big and intimidating and just all around cool!

I do have some minor suggestions:

To me, they don't work, pirates wouldn't wear uniforms like that, but if they make it fun for you, by all means keep them.

I'm afraid I agree with this, simple wooden planks for decking would be fine.  Also, the eyes over the cannons are quite comical but don't fit with the rest of the ship at all.

The double jib design on the front makes no sense.  If you want a flying jib, that's fine and would actually look pretty good on a ship of this size, but one needs to be in front of the other.  And your flags are facing the wrong way :)

There are some really fantastic details in here, the technique for the piano keys is amazing, the windows are well done, the railings where they slope down next to the stairs look good.  And again, the sheer size of this thing is spectacular.  Very nicely done!

Iragm,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it!

I started the floor tiles this morning and really just ran out of time. If I had an extra day or two, and slept on it, i would have ripped them out and just used planks. Oh well, pens down, submission in!
The eyes were definitely one of those IFFY things to do. Every time I looked it at, I laughed, and kept them on. Maybe a pirate would have painted something over the port holes?
Regarding the double jib; I'm not super familiar with ship design, newbie just learning. I liked the way it looked, so i kept it. I couldn't find any reference images that supported it, so I definitely made it up.
I'll be making edits to it of course, just to tighten up those loose ends.

Thanks again :)

Extravagant design!

I think a mosaic for the interior cabin is fine; the officer cabin of navy ships often had a tiled floor so having a mosaic design would have just been an upgrade.  However, I do think the mosaic on the exposed poop deck should be replaced, as I'd imagine that would be slippery and easily weathered by the elements.

What is the point of those flags at the very bottom of the stern?  If those are gunports for stern chasers, I'd imagine they would be swamped by anything less than perfectly still seas.

I agree with the point about the jibs; you may also want to move the square sail on the mizzenmast above the spanker sail instead of directly in front of it (though this is not a huge issue).

Get rid of the mosaic altogether and it's beautiful, add the classic white and red sail, and a bit more yellow and black to the build and it would be PERFECT :) Other than this, I would either stick with all-new or all-old minifigures, but the piano looks great, other than this you are good, happy building, and I will look forward to any build you make in the future :)