Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2024

I'm personally more interested in the newer plant pieces becoming more available/recolored, even the Fern, Big Fern, and "Bush" pieces from 2023, early 2024.

And perhaps a good Jungle base, without too many vehicles (sold seperately)

7 hours ago, legoturtle said:

I hope we get Jungle in 2024.

The rumours suggest we are. I enjoyed these concepts in the video and would hope for something similar. I hope Lego don’t just give us a bare minimum and rehash what has come before but lots of new animal moulds, better plants and trees than we usually get and some decent but realistic vehicles.

Well, I bought (2023) LEGO CITY/Explorers -subtheme sets. (5) sets. I think they are all very well made. Together amazing selection. MAYBE Jungle could continue from there. Animals were perfect and there were so many of them. Even the Killer Whale which eats even big seals...

Edited by legoturtle

I feel like it’s such a miss that we didn’t get a fire fighting chinook instead of the water bomber plane again, given we got one before as well. Also I’m just praying we get a large scale chinook like the Forrest police or volcano explorer versions. What other concepts could we see for city? I also think an army engineer tractor (like a tank but without a turret, has a bulldozer blade on the front and a giant claw crane on the top) but upgraded and painted red could go a long way as an off road fire fighting vehicle.   

For jungle I hope we get either a chinook or a giant river command boat could be cool. I hope they keep the flame-yellow orange colour scheme from 2019 too. 

Posted (edited)

Since instructions are available now, as well as most parts lists, it's nice to see how sets are built.

Fire Station can actually split in 3 seperate sections, 2 garages, and the top office is fairly loosely connected with some tile/jumpers on one side, so supposed to come off, looks like quite a solid set, with quite a number of regular bricks and slopes instead of straight up "pillar/panel" style of many previous versions.

The fairly empty space between 2 garages, can easily be expaned to have some more features as there's about a 8x10 studded gap there to make a custom build on, but I can see it being used to have more office space, tool storage, or perhaps a locker room or something.

Prison Island has a similar setup, with a left, right, and top tower being built seperately from different bags/instructions, as well as able to split the entire island in 2 sections, tower is connected with tiles again to be easily removable to customized to put another 8x8 section on.

Perhaps you can even make it a fully enclosed island by turning each half 90 degrees as it looks nearly mirrored (altho one side would look flat and have pin holes/axles sticking out), but the option is nice , altho would not exactly make sense as prisoners could just walk out of the glass front door then, unless you replace it with the cell door already included in the set.

Also has a lot of unused space inside to make custom interior, beside just the default washing machine.

Overall I think both are strong entries in the City line, and a somewhat departure from the simplified builds (even with BURP rocks, but those give extra hollow space and don't look bad here)

Edited by TeriXeri

Posted (edited)

Just looked at more sets, and the parts in 60401: Construction Steamroller look really nice.

Especially this new printed tile, which this set has 2 of, will be useful for vehicles, like a warning stripe at the back of a truck (or extra large trailer, which in real world extra markings are required)

6468323.jpg

Also a black windscreen, perhaps for some special operation vehicles, or just Biker Bob/Blacktron fans.

6468137.jpg

Also , does anyone know what this means ? 

Z Tier? Z_TJER ? Z TLER (settler?)

6461949.jpg

Printed Wanter Posters in CSI Truck, Hideout, and Prison Island

6465458.jpg 6470911.jpg6465471.jpg

LEGO did a lot of Fire prints for 2024:

6475867.jpg6465535.jpg6465528.jpg6381760.jpg6465524.jpg

Printed Numbers:

6465542.jpg6465529.jpg6465530.jpg6465526.jpg6465537.jpg6465523.jpg

Burger Truck has all prints as well

New Airplane rear piece  (in white in Space Rover)

6472690.jpg6472691.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

Posted (edited)

Instructions also started to indicate much better what booklet builds what , while still showing the entire set :

180x144p.png?1704123134.6911726180x144p.png?1704123481.5711102180x144p.png?1704113522.93455(not all shown)

Or at least most of it (fire truck has it's own booklet)

180x144p.png?1704105972.4498472180x144p.png?1704105972.4738479180x144p.png?1704111807.4432764180x144p.png?1704105972.4618475

Building together seems to be part of this.

Edited by TeriXeri

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Printed Wanter Posters in CSI Truck, Hideout, and Prison Island

Also one in the polybag police ATV (which is unique!). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Also one in the polybag police ATV (which is unique!). 

So, 4 wanted posters, and 4 criminals in Prison, yeah, gotta catch them all (to put them in prison)

Or catch them again , 3 out of 4 criminals get re-used in the other sets (beanie hat guy even twice, after getting out of the Police Truck, and then later shows up in the hideout). Moustache guy isn't found in another set but the prison, so I guess he got caught by the ATV behind the scenes), Jet Ski guy gets away.

Edited by TeriXeri

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

So, 4 wanted posters, and 4 criminals in Prison, yeah, gotta catch them all (to put them in prison)

Actually five criminals and only four posters; tracksuit guy (hideout) is not in prison, old guy (prison island) does not have a non-prison variant, and the black-haired woman (chase, prison island) does not have a wanted poster. 
I am assuming that this will be rectified in the 2HY sets, though. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Actually five criminals and only four posters; tracksuit guy (hideout) is not in prison, old guy (prison island) does not have a non-prison variant, and the black-haired woman (chase, prison island) does not have a wanted poster. 
I am assuming that this will be rectified in the 2HY sets, though. 

Looks like there actually is a 5th poster in the Car set so all are accounted for, at least on the Wanted list : 

6465425.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

Finished building my own version of the interstellar spaceship, it’s a very solid build, and the function is very fun. Good and weighty too, and pretty damn big considering the price. Only thing I can ask for is landing gear, which I modified and added to it. Unfortunately it’s very hard to keep the slick shape of it with the addition of landing gear. As with the other space craft in this sub theme, it really needs a stand. I wish Lego had built one at least for the big space station. Next up, a bigger spacecraft or rocket to mount this onto, as it does feel like it requires a second stage for surface to orbit flight. 

still, a very slick and beautiful build, and I’m glad I was able to throw it together with what I had before hand. Only thing I’m missing out on are the printed parts and the minifigure. I’m sure I’ll pick it up eventually. I’ve ordered the space mech and the smaller rover though, so I’m eagerly waiting for those sets. 

It is very sad that LEGO won't make stands for spaceships and other. I bought stand for Galaxy Explorer. There are companies who sell different stands. 

ETSY.COM for example.

Spoiler

il_1588xN.4570199619_suou.jpg

I think the quality of LEGO has gone super high. I bough CITY/Space sets (2022). Then CITY/Exploration sets (2023). Now I will buy all CITY/Space sets (2024). BUT what is even more surprising - I somehow like this prison island theme. Prison, hideout and even that command vehicle. There is a little bit of MOVIE feeling. And if I could afford... that modular building, detective office could go well along these sets.

BUT

Space is the thing in 2024. Somehow when you look / read reviews of these sets. They are all VERY WELL taught true. Even the smallest sets like mech from Aliens. AND what is even more exciting is that it is not all about war. There is so much LORE in it. And it continues from (2022). It is the same faction. They have developed a lot. If you look even the LOGO and spaceship in that logo. It is the Interstellar spaceship. 

This morning in the LEGO store from Barcelona the prison island sets expositor had attached a sticker that said city no limits

Maybe 2024 youtube episodes will be related with prison theme

One thing about the wanted posters that amuses me is that all but one of them corresponds to a fig in the same set—the exception being the prison island set (since if the crook from that poster was in prison, they wouldn't still need posters up).

I got the interstellar spaceship yesterday and really enjoyed it. I really like the new aircraft bottom sections—similar to the 6-wide ones from previous years, but now with Technic pinholes in the ends to better secure them together into a solid base. The smaller rover set and the fire plane also seem to make good use of this system, though curiously the rescue ambulance still uses the old ones. My one minor complaint is that I wish the "blue team captain" in this set had an alternate hairpiece for when she takes her helmet off (something I'm more used to getting in themes like Friends that's sadly absent here).

I'm not normally much of a City buyer (except the occasional set for my dad), but I'm definitely into the new space sets which feel almost like a fully developed theme of their own, with great worldbuilding and intercompatibility. They also have me more in the mood for MOCing than typical City sets, since I'm more comfortable building in more of a fantasy/sci-fi context where I feel like I can be less worried about "realism".

7 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

One thing about the wanted posters that amuses me is that all but one of them corresponds to a fig in the same set—the exception being the prison island set (since if the crook from that poster was in prison, they wouldn't still need posters up).

I got the interstellar spaceship yesterday and really enjoyed it. I really like the new aircraft bottom sections—similar to the 6-wide ones from previous years, but now with Technic pinholes in the ends to better secure them together into a solid base. The smaller rover set and the fire plane also seem to make good use of this system, though curiously the rescue ambulance still uses the old ones. My one minor complaint is that I wish the "blue team captain" in this set had an alternate hairpiece for when she takes her helmet off (something I'm more used to getting in themes like Friends that's sadly absent here).

I'm not normally much of a City buyer (except the occasional set for my dad), but I'm definitely into the new space sets which feel almost like a fully developed theme of their own, with great worldbuilding and intercompatibility. They also have me more in the mood for MOCing than typical City sets, since I'm more comfortable building in more of a fantasy/sci-fi context where I feel like I can be less worried about "realism".

Yeah the new aircraft parts are a game changer, I can’t wait to see more of them. I really really need that part on the back of the small rover and fire plane in black, that would be incredibly useful. I agree as well, as does most people I’ve seen online say that this should have been its own theme. But I get why it isn’t, budgeting and marketing and all that. I do hope this is them just testing the waters and seeing if space could make a full theme come back, so I’m gonna try and get what I can from this wave. Only thing the subtheme needs are decent double sided face prints and maybe a few returning team members (I think there’s one repeat azure minifig) and it would be solid. Still, I can add my own in. 
Speaking of adding in, I’ve got extensive plans for the new smaller rover set. I want to first off see how much liveable interior space I can cram into it (given 4 studs width I’m not expecting much) and then maybe beefing the body of the rover out by 2 studs, making it a 6 wide interior, as I’ve been writing a story about a lone spaceman traveling a distant moon with his robot pal and this set is such a good base model to modify to my liking, and it’s surprisingly close to my sketches and description of my own vehicle. 

I got the mech as well just as a compliment set, I’ve already built the base version of it a month ago when pics came out and it’s a decent size with good playability and articulation, and I absolutely NEED that new engineering space suit, that helmet looks amazing. Really I want to get all the figures from this wave. My priority sets are the small rover, mech and the space station, and the rest are sets I’d like to get but probably won’t unless I have spare budget to spend. I’m half and half on the big rover, personally I wish it did more, like split down the middle or something. I need a galaxy squad typa play feature on that big rig because a tiny crane and a removable pod aren’t really cutting it. The space base is alright but feels disjointed, they should have cut the tiny rover and used parts budget to beef up the base more, and take away the ramp for the cargo shuttle. 

one cool tidbit of information I got from the instructions is the origin of the second battery colour. I’m almost all sets the batteries are trans sparkly purple, but in the space station there is actually 2 types of batteries, the regular purple and a pink version, which is used on the space hover bike I think. Anyways the cargo shuttle in the space base set has a table in the pod that shows the pink bubble part that is the other thing they’re mining and studying actually makes up the pink batteries. I really love this continuity across sets, really does make it feel like it’s own theme that was eaten by city! 

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Looks like there actually is a 5th poster in the Car set so all are accounted for, at least on the Wanted list : 

6465425.jpg

Ah, nice! đź‘Ť

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

My one minor complaint is that I wish the "blue team captain" in this set had an alternate hairpiece for when she takes her helmet off 

The other City sets that have Minifigs with helmets also include hairpieces, so I am not sure why that is not the case with the space sets. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

My one minor complaint is that I wish the "blue team captain" in this set had an alternate hairpiece for when she takes her helmet off (something I'm more used to getting in themes like Friends that's sadly absent here).

Agreed, 2022 City Space, and the Monkie Kid space sets had both helmet and hairpieces for their minifigs, (2019 only had some hairpieces in the People Pack set)

It's certainly not a guarantee to have hairpieces, it's just getting more common, for City it looks like pretty much every figure gets a hairpiece if it has some form of helmet (but not if cloth hat) , exceptions are the go-karts drivers, police racecar driver , and space sets.

For example for Fire department figs, I tend to leave the helmets on all the time, if they are in uniform ,exceptions would be something like the half-uniform , seen in the 2024 Fire Station with one figure not wearing a fire uniform jacket over their shirt/suspenders.

Same thing for most race cars, leaving the figures in the vehicles with helmets most of the time.

So over time, this means , those extra hairpieces become available for other figures (and hairpieces are still cross-compatible with minidolls which helps a lot too)

But space does get dual moulded helmets etc.

Overall I also see more and more unique torsos, or new leg prints appear as well (love the new teal legs with silver stripes for Medics, and the high visibility vest on darkblue on Police, comes really close to real world uniform style used in my area.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

one cool tidbit of information I got from the instructions is the origin of the second battery colour. I’m almost all sets the batteries are trans sparkly purple, but in the space station there is actually 2 types of batteries, the regular purple and a pink version, which is used on the space hover bike I think. Anyways the cargo shuttle in the space base set has a table in the pod that shows the pink bubble part that is the other thing they’re mining and studying actually makes up the pink batteries. I really love this continuity across sets, really does make it feel like it’s own theme that was eaten by city! 

Yes! AND also in 1 of the sets they find SUPER crystal which gives energy for whole planetary BASE. Then we have violet crystal energy. Purple plant energy. BUT also mix of plants and crystals. And then this super crystal.

So guys! I just got the go karts, road roller and burger truck. Built the go karts and I've got to say that for a small set, it adds a lot of value to my town's story. 

60419_alt3.jpg

That brown brick in the corner... are those prints or stickers? Is this set full of stickers?

To be honest that's one of those scenarios where I'm glad it's stickered because this is that part's first appearance in that color so if they were printed they wouldn't exist in that color without prints yet.