Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2024

29 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I got a  bunch of Town cars from like 80s-90s, and it's funny I keep seeing the old 4 wide town fender piece used in newer sets (altho this is a slightly more modern piece with the hole in it), but not as actual car fenders, I got like 16 of them in black but only used in an actual small car from a 2017 set, and the rest are used as internal parts

4600178.jpg

Nice! There should be an anniversary trend for certain pieces. Because I also noticed that some pieces that were used for classic town are still being used today. 

6 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

Nice! There should be an anniversary trend for certain pieces. Because I also noticed that some pieces that were used for classic town are still being used today. 

It's strange LEGO does not used that piece for the Classic theme however, missed chance to use it for 11036: Creative Vehicles , but I suppose it was easier for LEGO to just avoid fenders/arches completely and go for 4 wide axles instead of needing different colors of wheel arches, instead they went for different wheel types.

Still not a terrible Classic set, just not-so-classic with wheel width.

Edited by TeriXeri

Do you think either the Red Panda or the Tiger will use the new Dark Orange color? I think it would be fitting for Red Panda. The tiger could use regular orange, imo.

9 minutes ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

Do you think either the Red Panda or the Tiger will use the new Dark Orange color? I think it would be fitting for Red Panda. The tiger could use regular orange, imo.

i think that red anda will use dak orange color

7 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

You know what i want to see as far as molds are concerned: a paper bag mold to represent a child's lunch like this. Meanwhile, I have to use the money sacks from the 2022 bank set because there is no paper bag mold. 

Maybe this part 35464.jpg + a few 1x1 plates? at least as temporary solution.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:36 AM, TeriXeri said:

Maybe this part 35464.jpg + a few 1x1 plates? at least as temporary solution.

Yeah! At least until they make one that the minifigs can hold in their hands. 

14 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

Oh guys! Guess what? I got the prison island set for my birthday last week. Just finished building it today. 

And whats yout thought on this set?

15 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

Oh guys! Guess what? I got the prison island set for my birthday last week. Just finished building it today. 

It's a cool set, I don't have it yet , or the old prison island, but I think it has a lot of potential, especially with 2 sets to make a full island (with some mods so it's just not plain mirrored) , but even just with 1 set, I think it's nice, but there's a lot of room to work with for interior as the washing room is quite empty.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

And whats yout thought on this set?

Dude! I love that set. My town is based off of the Lego Island saga so this set actually fits perfectly for a modern day version of the prison from the first game. 

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It's a cool set, I don't have it yet , or the old prison island, but I think it has a lot of potential, especially with 2 sets to make a full island (with some mods so it's just not plain mirrored) , but even just with 1 set, I think it's nice, but there's a lot of room to work with for interior as the washing room is quite empty.

It has its flaws, but like you said, those are really just minor flaws like the wash room. The building and interior of the building is nice though. 

2 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

It has its flaws, but like you said, those are really just minor flaws like the wash room. The building and interior of the building is nice though. 

Yeah, to me, I'm not bothered by some of them, like the empty door/window frames in the tower, but I think that's done intentional, to allow fingers in for playing with minifigs.

Surely LEGO would've added a few more window pieces already in the set if they meant it to be fully closed up, same goes for the appartment building and other recent sets, I think the open sides are meant to allow access, especially in those smaller 8x8 sections, as most of the 8x16 sections in those City sets have plenty of space from just the back to access with kid hands + this is a prison set, so more escape routes isn't a bad thing.

As for lack of ladders/stairs to the top of the tower, I don't mind that either in a set like this, + there's a stair in the front to at least the helipad / mid-tower level.

And an unprinted cap for a warden I think is fine too, as it seems with 2024 especially ,LEGO is moving away from pretty much every Police torso having a gold badge, now many torso have just that shield with star icon, and only the detective in the crime truck set has a silver badge.

Will be interesting to see how they will make a new police station, either 2025 or 2026, currently there's the 2022 station + 2023 academy which both have a "chief"

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/19/2024 at 3:21 PM, TeriXeri said:

Surely LEGO would've added a few more window pieces already in the set if they meant it to be fully closed up, same goes for the appartment building and other recent sets, I think the open sides are meant to allow access, especially in those smaller 8x8 sections, as most of the 8x16 sections in those City sets have plenty of space from just the back to access with kid hands + this is a prison set, so more escape routes isn't a bad thing.

Speaking of the apartmtent building set, not too long after acquiring the prison island set, I got the apartment building set at a department store on clearance. Like I ended up only paying $50 for that set, which imo, should've been the original asking price. 

10 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

Speaking of the apartmtent building set, not too long after acquiring the prison island set, I got the apartment building set at a department store on clearance. Like I ended up only paying $50 for that set, which imo, should've been the original asking price. 

Yeah that set is good, but definately not a $95 / €85 set at full price, with some color swaps it can also serve as expansions for a Police / Fire / Medical building (replace the bottom green rows on the floors with windows with like blue or red), or easily converted interior to whatever (Office / Bank / TV building or something) ,

Of course the actual 2022 Hospital, or 2023 Academy offered better sets if you wanted a Police / Medical build with figures etc, especially in Europe at €100/90 (so not far from €85), US prices were somewhat higher, especially the hospital at $130.

It's still quite a large building, and I think overall a better value set compared to the very shallow interiors of 31141: Main Street which is €140.

60364: Street Skate Park wasn't small either.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It's still quite a large building, and 60364: Street Skate Park wasn't small either.

Yes it's a very large building, but there weren't any vehicles, except for the wheelchair that the old lady was in. I can say the same about downtown and the ice cream shop. The lack of vehicles (which I think is a good thing for sets like this) automatically puts those sets at least 50 USD below their asking price. If it were up to me, the downtown set wouldn't exceed $79.99 USD and the apartment would only cost what? $49.99. Ice cream shop was fairly priced so I won't mess with that one. .

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Yeah that set is good, but definately not a $95 / €85 set at full price, with some color swaps it can also serve as expansions for a Police / Fire / Medical building (replace the bottom green rows on the floors with windows with like blue or red), or easily converted interior to whatever (Office / Bank / TV building or something)

Dude, I'd love to see someone do that. I have yet to find a video of that actually happening. I'm intrigued to see how it plays out. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

12 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

Dude, I'd love to see someone do that. I have yet to find a video of that actually happening. I'm intrigued to see how it plays out. 

I wanted to have a bank building for a long time, so maybe will convert it to a bank + office , as with the green, it kind of matches LEGO money already.

I skipped the last bank robbery set, as even while it was discounted a lot,  I prefer sets with buildings seperate from larger vehicles.

3-in-1 31097: Townhouse Pet Shop & Café from 2019 has some nice inspiration for a Bank interior in it's alternate build.

Nice thing with that appartment building system is that you can make either a 4 story tall 8x16 tower, or a 2 story 32x8 wide variant fairly easily, or a fully enclosed 16x16 (which could be a 32x8 hinged closing to a 16x16 as well)

Edited by TeriXeri

For American AFOLs, are there any clearance on City sets from 2023 somehwere besides Target?

On 2/14/2024 at 12:47 PM, PRbrickbuilder said:

Somehow, I overlooked this one.  That’s a fun quesiton!

I would be greatly pleased to see red panda and tiger showing up in that new dark orange color.  it’s pretty likely for Lego to do that since they had done recolored dolphins so many times (light gray, sand blue, etc). 

2 hours ago, thminigab2 said:

i hope we will get lego city pictures soon(i mean april release)

We should get them in early to mid-May depending on when they will be released. I already know they won't be coming to the states until August so I'm bracing myself for that. That's at least the case for the sets that are good. The lame ones will likely be in June. But Europe and other countries get all City sets in June. 

11 hours ago, thminigab2 said:

i hope we will get lego city pictures soon(i mean april release)

Usually we get them in May 

I’m very excited about Jungle subtheme.  So yes it’s normally we see pictures in May but don’t be surspied that City will be avaaible in June in Europe and August in North America. 

i do wonder if anew facility in USA will bring summer City sets to shelves in North America once it’s up and runing. I know they just broke ground recently but we will see what happens with summer City sets after the new facility’s construction completed. 

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

I’m very excited about Jungle subtheme.  So yes it’s normally we see pictures in May but don’t be surspied that City will be avaaible in June in Europe and August in North America. 

i do wonder if anew facility in USA will bring summer City sets to shelves in North America once it’s up and runing. I know they just broke ground recently but we will see what happens with summer City sets after the new facility’s construction completed. 

The August release of City sets has nothing to do with production issues.  It's been reported numerous times that the US retailers want the new merchandise to arrive later in the year to boost sales for the Holiday season which normally ramps up after Back to School sales.  Unless that changes I don't think we will ever see the City sets release in May or June here frustrating as that may be to us AFOLs.  

7 hours ago, karrit said:

The August release of City sets has nothing to do with production issues.  It's been reported numerous times that the US retailers want the new merchandise to arrive later in the year to boost sales for the Holiday season which normally ramps up after Back to School sales.  Unless that changes I don't think we will ever see the City sets release in May or June here frustrating as that may be to us AFOLs.  

Why isn't that a thing in Europe tho? That would make sense in any country that celebrates the holidays. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

34 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

Why isn't that a thing in Europe tho? That would make sense in any country that celebrates the holidays. 

Different emphasis here. And you cram in more HOLIDAYSness

6 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

Different priorities I guess.  Wish we got 4-6 week long holiday breaks like a lot of Europeans get but we're lucky if we get 2 weeks and can actually take it all at once.