Mandalorianknight

UPDATE: (MOC) TRANSFORMERS: Convoy/Optimus Prime's Trailer! (Transforming, with Roller, Repair Crane, etc)

UPDATE: As part of a separate project (itself part of a THIRD project), I recreated the Optimus Prime figure in stud.io, so I did some renders of him in the trailer, making Convoy:

Convoy%201.png

Convoy constructed: The trailer connected to 10302's Optimus Prime.

Convoy%202.png

Here's the trailer "transformed" into Optimus's Battle Deck.

So, about a year ago, after I built Optimus Prime, I started a G1 bumblebee. I spent hours on it, but in the end I gave up, at least for now. However, after seeing Rise of the Beasts, I was inspired to make a smaller (well, I suppose larger, but less complicated) MOC to go with Optimus: his iconic trailer.

The trailer is built as if it was a tie-in to 10302, and as such includes space for all the accessories in that set, and is able to connect to it. It is based off the G1 trailer product, and as such comes with Roller and the repair drone/crane thingie.

Optimus%20Trailer%20Pulled.png

Now, aside from the Autobot symbol printed tiles, the set only uses existing parts in existing colors. Here we can see Roller (Side note: I love Roller, but... what is it? Is it an autobot? A drone? A vehicle? The original cartoon, of course, is contradictory on that question) pulling the trailer along.

Optimus%20Trailer%20Full.png

Here's the trailer interior, stuffed with all the accessories of the set. Counting Roller and the drone, but not the 10302 accessories, we get a piece count of 1700, a little more than the official Optimus set. I blame the 305 1x2 LBG grille tiles.

Optimus%20Trailer%20Battle%20Deck.png

The trailer "transforms", if you can call it that, into the Battle Deck. 

Optimus%20Trailer%20Secret.png

As I said, it fits all the accessories, including the energon cube, which can be stored down below in a sort of secret compartment.

Optimus%20Trailer%20Roller%20and%20Repai

Here's a good look at Roller and the repair drone. Roller can seat 2 minifigures, since he's inexplicably sometimes a vehicle, and the repair drone has a fair bit of articulation.

Optimus%20Trailer%20Stationary.png

The last thing I'll show is the trailer with the stands out. 

Be sure to let me know what you think! I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out. I know there are quite a few MOCS of the trailer, so I wanted to make mine an explicit sort of companion set or expansion to 10302. If people like this, I might try megatron soon.

Oh, and here's Black Convoy/Nemesis Prime with trailer, part of that other project:

Black%20Convoy.png

Edited by Mandalorianknight

This is fun. 

Any plans to share the instructions? I can see how some parts come together, but I'm still trying to figure other things out. 

Last little thing - I like the color blocking on the ramp going up into the trailer. 

On 6/25/2023 at 5:26 PM, Stepwise said:

This is fun. 

Any plans to share the instructions? I can see how some parts come together, but I'm still trying to figure other things out. 

Last little thing - I like the color blocking on the ramp going up into the trailer. 

Thank you!

Hmm. This is one I'd kind of want to sell instructions for. My standard go-to is 1/100th of the piece count (i.e. a 500 pc moc would be $5), but while this one is 1700 pieces, a lot of those are just 1x2 LBG grilles placed next to eachother. Not exactly rocket science. If you'd be willing to pay for them, what would you consider a fair price? (And if not, no biggie)

Thank you. I wanted to make it a little more interesting than just a grey slab while still keeping the G1 ramp design, so I used DBG for the G1 mold's indents.

I have no idea where to start on pricing for instructions - I've only bought instructions once or twice, and that was from the Build Better Bricks site.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:51 AM, Stepwise said:

I have no idea where to start on pricing for instructions - I've only bought instructions once or twice, and that was from the Build Better Bricks site.

Sorry, I've been busy. Tell you what, just DM me your email and I'll send you the part file for free.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Agent Kallus said:

It looks great, I can really appreciate it much better with Optimus as context!

Thank you! I agree, to be honest I was kind of disappointed with it before I saw it connected to Optimus, and now I think I'm gonna have to buy the parts to build it IRL for him.

23 minutes ago, MJ83CK said:

Hello @Mandalorianknight - did you ever make instructions? Happy to buy them. Best trailer MOC I've seen by far.

I'll get started on them right away- should have em by tomorrow! Just let me know what you think would be a fair price- I'll direct message you so you can send me the email you want the instructions sent to.