Per_SW

[M4-23 - Imperial Ship] Predator-Class Fighter AKA TIE Predator

I usually don't build MOCs, I dabbled in alternate builds sometimes, some MOD here and there, but I tend to limit myself to the instructions provided, while appreciating and looking with wonder at the works of others.
Then came this contest and the Imperial Ship category gave me the push to try something that I'd been mulling over for some time: build a TIE Predator (or, to be correct, a Predator-Class Fighter) that could pass for an official playset.
So between some slow night shifts and a couple of weeks off work I put myself to work and here it is:

52940943732_6d9452a7bb_c.jpgPred_test_8

This ship is the standard Imperial (both Sith and Exiled) starfighter in 137 ABY, from the now Legends comics Star Wars Legacy.
It is a step-up from the earlier TIE/ln having both a limited Hyperdrive and shields without sacrificing cargo capacity, and seats one pilot, in this case Captain Gunn Yage.

52942005118_3be82a5779_c.jpgPred_test_9
52942005133_a3d14b52e5_c.jpgPred_test_4
52941691104_8b3f57125b_c.jpgPred_test_3

The four ion engines are powered by the omnipresent solar panels which in flight mode run angled from the cockpit, while retracting parallel when the ship docks.

52940943737_35c22ae7b2_c.jpgPred_test_6

This results in more visibility for the pilot, although only squad leaders were granted ships with the traditional octagonal window, the rest of the squad had to conform to a slatted front canopy.
The fighter is armed with four laser cannons around the central canopy and, in keeping with the playability aspect I was going for, two of them can easily be replaced by stud-shooters if desired.

52941541456_c601076abe_c.jpgPred_test_7

All in all what I wanted was to build something with at least some play-features AND sturdy enough that could be swooshed by a child, and that's where I came across some hurdles: I had not free-built since before I was a teen, never used stud.io and decided that for my first try I wanted to build a BALL with moveable but also lockable wings.
Stud.io was surprisingly easy to learn, and I finally found a way to use in my life the trigonometry I learned in high school (read "I cheated and used an online angle calculator, but still got to use Pythagoras'), but the fact I was not able to test how sturdy of a build it was irked me quite a lot.

So I unloaded into a bin the ziploc bags with my dismantled sets and built one, and here it is, in all its prideful technicolor glory!

Hope you enjoy the build, good luck everyone.

Nice !

Don't forget to post in the primary 2023 May the 4th contest thread linking to this post (as per the contest general rules) :

A link should be included in this thread to ensure your entry is counted.

Edited by Mr Bloo

2 hours ago, Mr Bloo said:

Nice !

Don't forget to post in the primary 2023 May the 4th contest thread linking to this post (as per the contest general rules) :

A link should be included in this thread to ensure your entry is counted.

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something :D

Really nice execution of an under-represented TIE variant!

Great build, makes me want to build some Legacy stuff (like the X-83). The wing mechanism(s) must of been a bit tricky, but nicely done.

1 hour ago, CommanderJonny1 said:

Great build, makes me want to build some Legacy stuff (like the X-83). The wing mechanism(s) must of been a bit tricky, but nicely done.

Indeed they were, I went through quite a lot of iterations and tests with different parts before the final result, which unfortunately sacrifices aesthetic faithfulness to the source in order to be sturdy enough -as stated one of my goals was to build something as close to a playset as possible. I still am satisfied with the solution because not only it gets the wings at the correct angle, but is strong enough to not dismantle if I were to pick it up and shake it like a lunatic (or an 8 year old), I did test it exactly that way =D