Cyrix78

[MOD] 10317 Land Rover Defender Remote Controlled

How do you like my motorized Land Rover?

I have tried to hide all electronics completely and keep all original functions.

I would really have liked to make it 4WD with diffs, but  there is not that much space to hide motors and other stuff in this model even if it is quite big.

So for now it is only rear Wheel drive with a straight axle without diff.

I might try with a Buwizz instead of Powered Up and add some more functions. Maybe a working winch and some lights?

Video available at Youtube

Instructions available at Rebrickable

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Edited by Cyrix78

I'll be honest here since I also plan to try and make an RC version of this model; anything that is not 4WD (or does not keep the live axle suspension) does not cut it for me. It is pointless for me to do a non 4WD motorization for this car as 4WD and live axle suspension are the essence here. Probably it will require some sacrifices though, as there really isn't that much space in there if one wants to keep most of the interior in a presentable shape..

22 hours ago, TexasEngineer454 said:

Great work! Any shots of how you mounted the motors and connected them to the drivetrain? 

I can fix that next week. I am not at home for a few days.

20 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I'll be honest here since I also plan to try and make an RC version of this model; anything that is not 4WD (or does not keep the live axle suspension) does not cut it for me. It is pointless for me to do a non 4WD motorization for this car as 4WD and live axle suspension are the essence here. Probably it will require some sacrifices though, as there really isn't that much space in there if one wants to keep most of the interior in a presentable shape..

I would love to build a 4WD version, but that will have to be with Buwizz or other smaller battery box. Or you have to sacrifice something. I wanted to build it with modern Lego battery and motors.

I have at least kept the suspension working as it should. 

Edited by Cyrix78

I just looked through your photos on Bricksafe and noticed the view with the top off. Is this a standard design to have a removable top? 

I agree with sacrificing the 4WD system in order to have a more "original" look to the finished MOC. I had to choose to remove all of the interior from my 42110 Defender in order to fit the motors, battery hub, and other driveline features. 

640x480.JPG

2 hours ago, TexasEngineer454 said:

I just looked through your photos on Bricksafe and noticed the view with the top off. Is this a standard design to have a removable top? 

I agree with sacrificing the 4WD system in order to have a more "original" look to the finished MOC. I had to choose to remove all of the interior from my 42110 Defender in order to fit the motors, battery hub, and other driveline features. 

640x480.JPG

Yes the top can be lifted off. I have only made changes to the chassi.

On 5/17/2023 at 3:50 PM, TexasEngineer454 said:

Great work! Any shots of how you mounted the motors and connected them to the drivetrain? 

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG