Sign in to follow this  
JoKo

[MOC] 1960's Race Car (2x 42155 Batcycle alternate build)

Quickly after the Batcycl release I wanted to build a hot-rod with these wheels and headlights.

Triggered by @1980SomethingSpaceGuy's Cafe Racer I bought two batcycle, built one and started playing withe the pieces from the other. I tried for a while to build a motorcycle engine but was not happy with what I did. So I tore appart the batcycle and build a 8 cylindres engine. It was too big to fit at the front of a hot-rod so I made a rear-engine race car. 1960 was an era when rear engine was the way to go in F1, disc brakes also but skinny tires were still there and wings not yet. I kept the headlights from the hot-rod idea because I liked them.

The engine has a unusual configuration. the cylindre blocs are offset by 2 studs to allow the pistons to do boxer-things. the front left piston do boxer action with the front right piston. And so on... If you know me you know that the new blue 12 teeth gear chain-compatible is a game changer for the valvetrain lover that I am. I couldn't help giving this engine a pair of overhead camshafts. Two cams per cylindre, dark gray for intake, black for exhaust.

The main challenge was the lack of dedicated car pieces for suspension and steering. That's why there are no working suspension, decorative only. And the small number of pieces according to the car scale was a pain also...Because of 2xB model restrictions I had to be creative withe the structure. Some slightly preloaded assemblis may hurt the feelings of sensitive people like Pythagoras or Studio. I used 84% of the pieces (by weight)

Features:

- 8 Cylindres Boxer engine with basic valvetrain

- 2 Chain-driven camshafts with 2 cams per cylindre

- Ackermann (kinda) steering with ball-joint links

- A cute smile!

y4mq3gyRWVYTREqPFb1NysxRjGBNi0GoNc30-9nI

y4m8HFo-xXZqjRgrIFOo3V1pMppxE62oQuPpFIcM

y4mc_coE0BAc5a3sVHfwBr8NOtp4BJPFm3H1pvsH

y4mPdiqybFF6rEW5kZ6zW7rTM8x2rihjY51mr8xMy4mK7bNUDXG4my_2KT9pgFVXtzGUDSSTMBOsbTpYy4m2eM8VEFfIA1YLp0aBCx6rkstT8sUMJ9PjRJ9U

y4m3dZ_L-8_EiWpRNR_4VWF4QYtEFUjesUPmsO53

Ready to Race!

Edited by JoKo

9 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Fun build!
I love the engine!

I had no doubt you'll like it my boxer-loving friend! :wink: