natesroom

Venting about Missing pieces in collection (to rebuild castle sets)

i have been trying to rebuild some old sets that have been in my collection for 13 years. So i have been putting together Kings Castle, Black Monarchs castle and Hemlock Stronghold 6079. I'm super frustrated that i keep getting stopped at stupid little missing pieces, lol. Does anyone else get super frustrated when this happens or do you just put a random matching piece but not the right color in its place and just move on? I have a large collection of extra bricks its just so frustrating.

Like for the kings castle i had 9 of the 11 light grey inverted corner slopes. So i had to wait and order them. Then for black monarch i could find two black 1x3 archs and any 1x3 black bricks, lol. For the stronghold i have no 1x1 old brown bricks lol. 

Drives me nuts cause i know i have them!!

Thanks for letting me vent, regardless of if you post. 

That’s one good reason that I leave my castles assembled, lol. But if I’m looking for a piece that I know I have, I can usually find it. I’m not sure if that’s a virtue of good organization or not having enough spare parts.

haha. I have one last bin about half full to organize, so most of my pieces are in the tool storage trays. Its just crazy i have like 300-400 black 1x1, 1x2 and 1x4 but i couldnt find one black 1x3... aaarg!

dbfe5b95-c213-4bf9-87b3-30372ab74167.c05

That’s funny, I think we all have spent a lot of time organizing spare parts, and we also all have one half-full bin of unorganized stuff, like we just ran out of steam and gave up. Lol

I place a pink or red piece as a substitution and move forward with the build. I create a bricklink wanted list for each set. I usually do not order right away as usually the pieces will turn up.

28 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

I place a pink or red piece as a substitution and move forward with the build. I create a bricklink wanted list for each set. I usually do not order right away as usually the pieces will turn up.

That’s a good idea. 

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

That’s a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

I concur i may do that going forward. I have 6 of the 13 brown corner tree pieces used in dark forest but about a dozen yellows so i might use those, lol.

I've been rebuilding lots of my old late 80s, early 90s space sets lately and I share your frustration when it comes to missing pieces. My approach though is that I try and put together a complete inventory of a set before I attempt to build it. I create a wishlist on Bricklink with the set inventory and mark down which Items I have and remove them from the list. Then I'm left with a parts lists of what I'm missing, which I can then place an order for. I try and do this with several sets or other projects at once for efficiency.

I sort out the parts based on the BL inventory before starting to build. That way I know that I can build a set in one go, or know which parts I need to find and/or order and their price before I build.