paupadros

[MOC] Ferrari Testarossa Kinetic Sculpture

Hello! Back at it again. This time, I'm bringing you a pretty simple idea for a kinetic sculpture that works surprisingly well. I had wanted to design a Speed Champions-scale model for a while but couldn't find the excuse. We had to make him a present for a cousin of mine who loves supercars, so the perfect excuse arose. Firstly, I chose a Ferrari Testarossa in 8-wide. I tried to reverse engineering this model and ended up making it quite a bit different: the techniques throughout vary to make it way sturdier. A bunch of SNOT and building upside-down was needed for that to be the case. It turned out great I think! :pir-wub:

The kinetic part of the sculpture is simple: the car rests on the road on its tired, so that when i rocks back and forth thanks to an L-shaped Technic beam that sticks out of the surface. The beam is activated via a crank and is connected to the clouds of smoke behind. This video explains it best:

Whist it's not as colourful as my previous outings in my series of kinetic sculptures, it's quite unique and easily customisable. That exact same base can be used with other Speed Champions sets or cars of your own to bring them to life. You'll probably need to heavily MOD the underside to allocate the little hole needed for the L beam to fit through for that to happen. 

Hope you like it :pir-sweet:

Gallery:

52152957624_3f2115ae2b_b.jpg

52151705922_992042319e_b.jpg

52151706092_0f01518ed3_b.jpg

52153210475_ba43a68b7c_b.jpg

Edited by paupadros

This is a really cool idea, and elegant in its simplicity. 

My only note would be that it could really use some wheels/wheel covers. Kind of looks like the tires are hovering around the brake rotors without them. :)

12 hours ago, SirBlake said:

This is a really cool idea, and elegant in its simplicity. 

My only note would be that it could really use some wheels/wheel covers. Kind of looks like the tires are hovering around the brake rotors without them. :)

It definitely could. For simplicity's sake I chose not to put any wheel covers, especially since when making instructions you ideally want pieces that are very common for people to find.