Sign in to follow this  
icm

[M4-22 - Alphabet Fighter] W-wing Light Fighter

[in-universe explanation] The Spazzbucket brothers wanted in on those sweet, sweet military contracts from the New Republic after the fall of the Empire, so they slapped a couple of pop-guns on their best-selling single-seat sporty runabout and called it a starfighter.  Little did they understand that the New Republic was actually divesting itself of most of its military, and they were getting into the arms business at the worst possible time.  Only a dozen examples of the starfighter variant were sold before they cut their losses and returned to selling it on the personal-transportation market.

[out-of-universe explanation] To keep my brother and I occupied one boring Sunday church meeting, my dad doodled a "W-wing fighter" on a piece of paper.  When we got home, my brother and I both tried to build it out of our Lego bricks.  This is my latest W-wing, built from the ground up in late 2021 to match my brother's oldest version in shape and size.  I didn't have the parts to build it in a snappy red, yellow, and black color scheme like that childhood build.  I have not previously posted pictures of this model on Flickr, though if you look through my Flickr photostream you'll see a Studio model of an earlier iteration - I checked with @MKJoshA to make sure that this build is eligible.  Sorry, I don't know how to take nice photos and edit them with in-universe backgrounds.  You'll notice there aren't any visible weapons on this W-wing fighter ... I never could figure out where the guns were supposed to be on the darn thing, it always seemed a lot more like a sports car to me.  Hence the in-universe explanation.  Good luck to everybody on the contest, and may the best Alphabet Fighter win!

W-wing Fighter (M4-22 Alphabet Fighter | Eurobricks contest)

Edited by icm

This build looks something that could be something that Lego gave us as an official set in 1999 or early 2000s, cool design!

29 minutes ago, Artizan said:

This build looks something that could be something that Lego gave us as an official set in 1999 or early 2000s, cool design!

8 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Interesting design! It really does give off 90s space vibes.

Ding ding ding!  You've dated the doodle.  Here's a Studio model of the childhood build that was based on the doodle:

wwing

Edited by icm