Sign in to follow this  
apachaihapachai

[MOC] Gravity-powered Hot Rod

I like the concept of this race, and it’s a nice looking build! So if I get it right, it’s still an RC car, but without drive, just steering and brakes. I have never build a brake system, but this looks like a meaningful application of it, wonder how it works. What does transmission brake mean? There is a drivetrain that’s not driven but free spinning, and braked at some point using a sevo motor for example?

Interesting idea. I guess the main design goal would be reduction of rolling resistance, e.g. large, bicycle-like wheels? 

Cool! Though I would change the transmission. I would connect the front and rear wheels with double friction gear and connect brakes to the rear axe! It would prevent the car from making 180 degree turn while the emergency breaking

11 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

There is a drivetrain that’s not driven but free spinning, and braked at some point using a sevo motor for example?

Yes. The 4x4 drivetrain is free spinning. At the rear the drivetrain is connected to the improvised disk brake made out of the 30mm wheel and the actuator.
bh8ebHi.png

11 hours ago, Davidz90 said:

I guess the main design goal would be reduction of rolling resistance, e.g. large, bicycle-like wheels? 

Lateral grip is very important too. That's why I used wide slick wheels.

5 hours ago, Daniel-99 said:

connect brakes to the rear axle!

Rear brakes only are very bad idea. Everyone with the rear brakes only spun out during the race. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Video from the event:

Edited by apachaihapachai