Sign in to follow this  
mla2

[MOC] 8865 New Jeep RC

A little bit less than a year ago a friend of mine showed a picture of his Defender build in progress. Something triggered in me: I was amazed at the progression Technic had made since my childhood and was instantly hooked. My first build was the Chiron and after that I build some other sets including the Rough Terrain Crane which was the start of lots of Rebrickable MOC builds and after a while I also designed some MOCs of my own.

I really love all aspects of the hobby. Building someone elses MOC and seeing all their clever techniques, designing my own like a GBC alternative of 42121, using Rebrickable and Bricklink to figure out what I can build and what parts I need, using Bricklink Studio to make models and instructions. I love it all! I even like disassembling sets! :pir_tong2:

A few months ago I saw of the old 8865 B model, Jeep. I think I owned it as a kid. I also some pictures here of others making modern versions of these old sets and a bit later I decided to give this a try myself.

I started by building the old model in Studio using the old instructions. This was amazing: the instructions must be the hardest instructions ever. I can't imagine any kid successfully building it. It averages more than 21 parts per step but the steps come without a part list. It also doesn't feature any highlighting for new parts and the build goes strictly from bottom to top instead of using a more logical build order. Finally it uses only 1 rotation over the entire build.

Here's an example of a single step. Note that the big submodel isn't the only thing attached to the model here, there's also other some other parts in random places all over the model that need to be added in this step.

400x564.png

Got it done anyway and this is a render of my digital build:

400x300.png

Once this was done I started creating the modern version. My goal was to keep all the features of the original including keeping the structure the same as much as possible too, but avoid any studfull parts. It took a while but in the end I got it done. Here's the final result:

400x300.png

The modern version has the same size as the old and the same features:

• Front and rear suspension with lots of travel
  • Front steering with working steering wheel
  • Independent front wheels
  • Foldable windshield
  • Foldable seats
  • Fake shifter
  • Slanted design

Later I realized there was space to make it RC so I put in a Power Functions servo, large motor and LED lights. Note that the old version had motor upgrade support as well.

After that I also made version with a buggy motor and one with Powered Up motors. The buggy version is crazy fast and fun, the Powered Up version is mostly slow and expensive :pir-oh3:

The large motor version can be seen in action one YouTube here and free instructions are available at Rebrickable here.
The buggy version can be seen on YouTube here and free instructions are available at Rebrickable here. It has a different color scheme making it easier/cheaper to get some of the parts:
400x300.png

Here's a picture of the PF version inside and one from the bottom:

400x300.png

400x300.png

Anyway, thanks for this forum (reading through the entire General Parts topic was fun!) and I hope you like my MOC and this post. If you build it, please share a photo :excited:

I also saw this already on Rebrickable, it's a cool remake, it could have been a great entry to the previous technic contest about studless remakes of studful sets. It's amazing how nicely playablemodel can be achieved with a lightweight body, one L motor and a BuWizz compared to a PU version.

I like what you write about all aspects of the hobby, indeed, they all differ and are enjoyable!

Great job on this MOC. I love these recreations of old sets, and you represented 8865 well. I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed getting back into LEGO.

Hi and welcome to eurobricks !

I really enjoyed reading your post about recreation of the 8865 B-model in a studless way.

I still own that set and currently have the A-model built (in a cardbox but it's built anyway). I really like your enthusiasm and find it great that you offered your mocs for free which is the way to start on rebrickable IMHO. I don't have any technic mocs to share ATM but my creator mocs are free also and it's nice to get more feedback that way even if it's up to everyone to choose their way to go.

Speaking about the difficulty of those old instructions, I don't remembered those beeing so hard to follow. I think I was 10 when I built 8865 (A and B) and even if the parts per step is high, I find that most sub steps looks like a 2D step (you mostly build vertically or horizontally). Also there were way less parts available making some steps quite logical (like adding two plates on top of a beam in order to getting the right spacement)

I also remember having the 4,5V motor and battery box for that B-model.

Thanks for doing it great justice with your modern take on it.

@fosamax Very interesting comment, thanks!

@Fuzzock Awesome! I hope that your build list is shorter than mine and that you will post a photo on Rebrickable when done :)

6 hours ago, mla2 said:

@Fuzzock Awesome! I hope that your build list is shorter than mine and that you will post a photo on Rebrickable when done :)

I wish it was!! Good thing is there are always great models to add to it. :p

Ian...