Sign in to follow this  
The Legonater

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #7: My Bleeding Hart

Zaria cleaves at the sprout, watching in frustration as she watches the creature scurry off to attack Varen. "I am not finished with you!" Zaria prepares to bring her might towards the sprout when an echoing drumming bounces about in her skull, causing her to pause and clutch her head with her open hand as she stumbles. The cacophony causes her to panic as her breathing becomes erratic. Falling back on breathing exercises, she attempts to steel her nerves and clear her mind of the fog that was choking out her concentration. In her confusion, she had little time to react to the tendril that slunk down from the ceiling and attached itself to her neck. For a few agonizing moments, Zaria could feel the appendage burrow underneath her flesh and connect her to the enemy. She winced in pain as the headache wracking her head became unbearable: thoughts of violence, rage, and malice dug into her flesh as she tripped over her own feet in a final attempt at rebellion. She tried to think on Varuth, on her life in the monastery back home, on her friends, but all too soon those thoughts washed away...

As Zaria straightened herself, her eyes opened and looked towards Kirwin; anger and rage swelling from some newly found well of contempt and hatred. "Fascinating." Zaria said, flexing her fingers and gripping her khopesh. "This one was competent with cleaving; killing. We will put this one to good use."

8 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin uses flamethrower on the root attached to Zaria.

OoC: I'm not sure how this action will work? If you're trying to free her, she'll be freed at the end of the round anyway. If you're trying to hurt the Hydra Root, it will hurt her instead. Maybe Legonator can let us know? Also, remind me, do you need line of sight to fire?

Merei looks around at the disaster the team is facing down, flaring angrily as Zaria's will is robbed from her. Why is this so much more of an affront than the crew? Most likely since she already knows Zaria. She should expand her compassion. But there isn't anything she can do for Zaria now but keep the rest of the team up. Merei casts healing light on Varen, who then moves to E5 and fires on the Calyx. Viper moves to E6 and fires on Hydra Sprout A.

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

OoC: I'm not sure how this action will work? If you're trying to free her, she'll be freed at the end of the round anyway. If you're trying to hurt the Hydra Root, it will hurt her instead. Maybe Legonator can let us know? Also, remind me, do you need line of sight to fire?

Merei looks around at the disaster the team is facing down, flaring angrily as Zaria's will is robbed from her. Why is this so much more of an affront than the crew? Most likely since she already knows Zaria. She should expand her compassion. But there isn't anything she can do for Zaria now but keep the rest of the team up. Merei casts healing light on Varen, who then moves to E5 and fires on the Calyx. Viper moves to E6 and fires on Hydra Sprout A.

OOC:If I can free her before her turn I don't have to worry about her one shotting me and she is right next to me so I prob see the vine in her head.

Edited by karmajay

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

MM Note: To be honest, I forgot that I added the stipulation that PC mind control only lasts for one round. :laugh: A good call for past me, because that move would be pretty strong otherwise. If Zaria is freed this round it would mean she isn't able to make an attack this turn.

Kirwin has line of sight so they'd definitely be able to attack the tendril attached to Zaria. Fair warning, my plan with an attack on the tendril was to run it as a basic weapons attack, but at their current range Kirwin wouldn't be able to do any damage again the tendril or Zaria. I think in this instance I would also run a Long Range Weapons check like I did when Luce was attacked with the flamethrower to represent how the Hydra responds to flame, so there is at least a chance that could free Zaria. Let that influence your decision however you will. 

Edited by The Legonater

OOC: As it stands, as a player, I'm just chilling with the vibe. No hard feelings in regards to whatever you guys do. :thumbup:

OOC: Well we know that hydra is scared of fire, the point even if I don't kill the tendril I should be able to spray fire very close to the tendril section near Zaria so it loses the hold on her body.

10 hours ago, karmajay said:

OOC:If I can free her before her turn I don't have to worry about her one shotting me and she is right next to me so I prob see the vine in her head.

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page! 👍

hydra_boss_3.png 51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Hart... Heroica... there is no difference. Your arrogance is the same.

Round Five:
Varen moves to E5
Varen vs Calyx - (4, +1, -1) One success vs. (4, 3) One success = Zero damage
Merei casts Sustained Healing on Varen - (4, +1) Two successes = Two vitality
Kirwin vs Hydra Tendril - (+1, -2) Zero successes. Kirwin Long Range Weapons Check (DC 1/3) - (5, 4, 3) Two successes, Zaria unstable. 
Viper moves to E6
Viper vs Hydra Sprout A - (3, 2, +1) One success vs (6) One success = Zero damage

Hydra Sprout A moves to F6
Hydra Sprout A vs. Viper - (5, 4, 4, +1) Four successes vs. (6, 6, +1) Three successes = One damage
Hydra Calyx move to H3
Hydra Calyx vs. Kirwin - (6, 4, 2, +1) Three successes vs. (5, +1) Two successes = One damage
Hydra Root uses Colony Defence - (3), Hydra Meiospore
Hydra Sprout D moves to D5
Hydra Sprout D vs Varen - (4, 1, 2, +1) Two successes vs. (5, 6) Two successes = Zero damage

The group panics as Zaria is taken under the Root's control. Varen tries to keep the Calyx at bay, bolstered by Merei's healing, but his shot goes wild and is unable to stop the Hydra from swiping at Kirwin. Viper fires at one of the remaining Sprouts to no avail, and the creature charges him, piercing through his armour. Zaria's eyes fixate on Kirwin as well, and the flamethrower in their grasp. Her khopesh drags across the ground, creating a horrific grinding. Kirwin fumbles with the flamethrower and shoots a bout of fire at the tendril attached to Zaria - they do little damage, but the added heat does give Kirwin their desired effect. The tendril twitches before violently tearing itself from Zaria. She gives a sharp gasp of breath before collapsing onto the ground. The Root observes all of this with palpable fury, and summons a Meiospore into the fray.

No description available.

The Enemy:
hydra_boss_3.png
Hydra Root 
Vitality: 25/25
Velocity: 0
Strength: 1
Skill: 2
Smarts: 4
Proficiencies: Insight 2, Intimidation 1, Nature 3, Perception 1, Survival 3
Equipment: ??
Passive AbilityHive Mind - Any damage done to the Root will be instead distributed evenly among anyone under its thrall. The Root can Rally or Defend those under its thrall without being physically adjacent to them.
Special Actions: If the Root has no minds under its thrall, it may take one of the following actions on its turn:
Parasitic Reach - The Root makes a Smarts check against a member of the party. If the Root succeeds, that character is under its thrall for the next turn. 
Colony Defence - The Root summons more Hydra creatures into the battle, rolling a d4 - 1, Failure; 2, Two Hydra Sprouts, 3, a Hydra Meiospore, 4, a Hydra Calyx.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout A
Vitality: 1/5
Velocity: 3
Strength: 2
Skill: 1
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 3, Nature 1, Survival 1
Equipment: None
Innate: Piercing Mandibles (Standard Kinetic Melee Weapon)
Passive AbilitySelf-Pollination - 1/3 chance to revive upon death, gaining 1d4 health.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout D
Equipment: 10 Credits

hydra_grown_2.png
Hydra Calyx
Vitality: 10/10
Velocity: 2
Strength: 4
Skill2
Proficiencies: Intimidation 1, Nature 1, Short Range Weapons 3

Innate: Swiping Claws (Standard Kinetic Short Range Weapon), Striking Talons (Calibrated Kinetic Long Range Weapon)
Passive AbilityThorn Shoot - Forgoes a Position action to make a Long Range attack, using its Velocity stat as its proficiency modifier

spitter_2_profile.png
Hydra Meiospore 
Vitality: 3/3
Velocity: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Artillery Weapons 4, Nature 1, Survival 1
Equipment: Sack of Acid, 5 Credits
Innate: Acid Spit (Standard Artillery Weapon, poisons)
Passive AbilityPropagation - Forgoes an attack turn to add its Skill to its Velocity stats for its Position action

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Character Points: 5/18
Vitality: 3/6
Velocity: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Coding 2, Piloting 1, Engineering 2, Explosives 1, Technology 2 
Credits: 18
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Adventuring Leathers (Standard Kinetic Armour), Utility Belt
Inventory: 2 Hampering Minor Chemical Contained grenades, 4 Plasma Potions, Hacking Chip, Captain Ilbery's Security Card, Alien Mandible (Standard Kinetic Weapon), Makeshift Flamethrower (Standard Short-Range Elemental Weapon), Skeleton Key Card (Unlocks 1 lock per mission)

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg
Merei Teo
Age 24 Female, Helioi-Touched Celestial (Born Menahi) 
Character Points: 4/18
Vitality: 5/6 
Velocity: 2
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Spirit: 2/3
Proficiencies: Occult 1, Religion 1, Coding 1, Insight 1
Known Spells: Healing Light, Solar Flare, Gravity Sink
Credits: 161
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Essence of Intellect, Plasma Potion, Aether Brew, Nanite Elixir, Holo-Tome 
(+1 to non-Spell Arcana, Nature, Religion, and Occult Checks)

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Character Points: 5/17
Vitality: 4/5
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Culture 2, Deception 1, Insight 1, Persuasion 2, Long Range Weapon 1, Coding 1*
Known Spells (if applicable): 
Credits: 124
Equipment: Lawyer's Rifle (Standard Long Range Energy weapon), Translator Cube
Inventory: 1x Essence of Glibness, 1x Essence of Intellect, Ion Repeater (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Adrenaline Decoction, 2x Bulking Stim, Aether Brew, Plasma Potion, Ion Scope (This weapon ignores Obscurement)

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor) (Unstable)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 5/19
Vitality: 3/6
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 0/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 2, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Sonic Sweep
Credits: 139
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour w/ Repulsor, +1 Defend Rolls), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion (4), Aether Brew x2, Essence of Toughness, Holoscroll (Enhanced Vision)

viper.png
Viper Carpathia (Will take suggestions)
Vitality: 2/7
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Persuasion 1, Short Range Weapons 2, Survival 1
Equipment: Starblazer Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour), Captain's Sidearm (Standard Short-Range Energy Weapon)

Edited by The Legonater

OoC: Legonator, just a question about mechanics. People keep going unstable but WITH health when we fail to free them from the Hydra. If we stabilize them, do they return to combat, or do we have to do something additional? Also is that mechanic written anywhere? Rest of the team, I think this battle is gonna be tough, so allow me to share some strategic thoughts. It may, unfortunately, be safer to leave people tethered if they get taken over. Trying to free them means two of us can’t do anything that round (the tethered and the freer) and failing to free them have bad consequences (they fall unstable, the Root gets an special action: so a new enemy joins the fray, AND the tethered doesn’t get to act, AND someone has to go stabilize them). Just my two cents, seeing as we generally can only hit the Root every other round.

As Viper moves to C5 and fires on the Root, Merei heals him. Varen moves to C7 and fires on the Root as well.

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

OoC: Legonator, just a question about mechanics. People keep going unstable but WITH health when we fail to free them from the Hydra. If we stabilize them, do they return to combat, or do we have to do something additional? Also is that mechanic written anywhere? Rest of the team, I think this battle is gonna be tough, so allow me to share some strategic thoughts. It may, unfortunately, be safer to leave people tethered if they get taken over. Trying to free them means two of us can’t do anything that round (the tethered and the freer) and failing to free them have bad consequences (they fall unstable, the Root gets an special action: so a new enemy joins the fray, AND the tethered doesn’t get to act, AND someone has to go stabilize them). Just my two cents, seeing as we generally can only hit the Root every other round.

As Viper moves to C5 and fires on the Root, Merei heals him. Varen moves to C7 and fires on the Root as well.

OOC: Yes I was curious about this when the NPC died, in the rules under defeat it says a person goes unstable when their vitality hits zero but in these cases that is not happening. Should they maybe be stunned for a round or something vice unstable since both characters still had vitality?

In reply to letting people stay tethered while a good point I just feel Zaria can do too much damage under enemy control even if it is just a turn.

Edited by karmajay

MM Note: As maybe a helpful point of clarity, I was originally going to describe the status as unconscious but we don’t have any effect like that yet, and unstable mechanically did the trick. 

Essentially when the tendril is being forced out of a host on an only partially successful save, it’s suddenly removing this thing regulating brain function and causing people to drop. If they can’t recover, they’ll die. But if they’re stabilized, yes, they return to combat in this instance. They still have hit points, they just need that action to recover from the Root’s dominance. 

(Due to Zaria’s initiative (another rule I don’t love) that’s all our actions it - technically she acts before Kirwin stabilizes her).

27 minutes ago, Zepher said:

(Due to Zaria’s initiative (another rule I don’t love) that’s all our actions it - technically she acts before Kirwin stabilizes her).

MM Note: Right - part of me is inclined to let Zaria have an action, but you're correct that her turn should probably be missed here. Also wanted to give you a chance to edit your strategy if it should apply, but if you're locked in I'll run the round now.

Actually, just before I do that - @Zepher you're aware that Varen's weapon in Long Range and not Artillery, right? Because you keep putting him in Artillery range which is putting him at a disadvantage and since this is not your character I want to double-check.

MM Note: I'm going to run the round with the assumption that Varen moves in range, but if you'd like that corrected, I would oblige!

Round Six:
Varen moves to C6
Varen vs Hydra Root - (4, +1) One success vs. (3, 1) Zero successes = One damage
Merei casts Sustained Healing on Viper - (6, +1) Two successes = Two vitality
Kirwin moves to E3
Kirwin stabilizes Zaria - (5) One success
Viper moves to C5
Viper vs Hydra Root  - (4, 5, +1) Three successes vs (1, 2) Zero successes = Three damage

Hydra Sprout A moves to C4
Hydra Sprout A vs. Merei - (3, 1, 3, +1) One success vs. (3, 1) Zero successes = One damage
Hydra Calyx move to G5
Hydra Calyx vs. Zaria - (6, 2, 4, +1) Three successes vs. (4, 6, +2) Four successes = Zero damage
Hydra Root uses Parasitic Reach against Merei - (3, 5, 4, 6) Three successes vs. (4, 5, 5) Three successes = Failure
Hydra Sprout D moves to D6
Hydra Sprout D vs Varen - (5, 2, 4, +1) Three successes vs. (2, 1) Zero successes = Three damage
Hydra Meiospore vs Kirwin - (3, 1, 2, 3, +1) One success vs. (4, +1) Two successes = Zero damage

Kirwin rushes to stabilize Zaria, managing to avoid the acidic spittle hurtling their direction from the Meiospore. Its defenses down, Varen and Viper work together to open fire on the Root, blasting chunks off of its flesh. Merei heals Viper, keeping the party from the brink of death. The Sprouts close in; one gouges its mandibles into Varen, while the other hurtles towards Merei. The Root, too, turns its attention to Merei, and reaches a tendril out hoping to stop her from further supporting the party. The Celestial is able to withstand the Root's assault, however, standing firm as the battle continues.

No description available.

The Enemy:
hydra_boss_3.png
Hydra Root 
Vitality: 20/25
Passive AbilityHive Mind - Any damage done to the Root will be instead distributed evenly among anyone under its thrall. The Root can Rally or Defend those under its thrall without being physically adjacent to them.
Special Actions: If the Root has no minds under its thrall, it may take one of the following actions on its turn:
Parasitic Reach - The Root makes a Smarts check against a member of the party. If the Root succeeds, that character is under its thrall for the next turn. 
Colony Defence - The Root summons more Hydra creatures into the battle, rolling a d4 - 1, Failure; 2, Two Hydra Sprouts, 3, a Hydra Meiospore, 4, a Hydra Calyx.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout A
Passive AbilitySelf-Pollination - 1/3 chance to revive upon death, gaining 1d4 health.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout D

hydra_grown_2.png
Hydra Calyx
Skill2

Innate: Swiping Claws (Standard Kinetic Short Range Weapon), Striking Talons (Calibrated Kinetic Long Range Weapon)
Passive AbilityThorn Shoot - Forgoes a Position action to make a Long Range attack, using its Velocity stat as its proficiency modifier

spitter_2_profile.png
Hydra Meiospore 
Passive AbilityPropagation - Forgoes an attack turn to add its Skill to its Velocity stats for its Position action

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Adventuring Leathers (Standard Kinetic Armour), Utility Belt
Inventory: 2 Hampering Minor Chemical Contained grenades, 4 Plasma Potions, Hacking Chip, Captain Ilbery's Security Card, Alien Mandible (Standard Kinetic Weapon), Makeshift Flamethrower (Standard Short-Range Elemental Weapon), Skeleton Key Card (Unlocks 1 lock per mission)

Merei Teo
Vitality: 4/6 
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Essence of Intellect, Plasma Potion, Aether Brew, Nanite Elixir, Holo-Tome 

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Vitality: 1/5
Proficiencies: Culture 2, Deception 1, Insight 1, Persuasion 2, Long Range Weapon 1, Coding 1*
Inventory: 1x Essence of Glibness, 1x Essence of Intellect, Ion Repeater (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Adrenaline Decoction, 2x Bulking Stim, Aether Brew, Plasma Potion, Ion Scope (This weapon ignores Obscurement)

Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour w/ Repulsor, +1 Defend Rolls), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion (4), Aether Brew x2, Essence of Toughness, Holoscroll (Enhanced Vision)

viper.png
Vitality: 4/7
Equipment: Starblazer Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour), Captain's Sidearm (Standard Short-Range Energy Weapon)

OoC: Absolutely was running him as artillery, thanks for the catch! @Kintobor I ran Viper while you were traitor/downed, but you can take back control now!

Merei gazes calmly at the tendril that tried to take her mind from under her control. She rallies Viper. Feeling out of sorts, Varen steps to B6 and drinks a Plasma Potion.

Zaria blearily stumbles up from the floor. The back of her neck felt sore, and the smell of butane and fire lingered around her. It took her a moment to remember what had happened as a feeling of guilt twisted in her gut. She tightened her grip on her khopesh as she aggressively glared the Hive Mind, desiring to cleave it to pieces and wreak holy vengeance upon it and it's fell influence... but she noticed quickly the amount of lesser hydra beings that encircled the group.

"Kirwin... thank you. We need to finish thinning their ranks. Viper, let's start clearing out the sprouts."

Zaria moves to D5 and strikes Sprout D. Vyper moves to C6 and fires on Sprout A.

Seeing Viper go after already badly injured prey, Merei instead casts gravity sink on the Root, trying to pull it to the corner of the room (towards A1). "We need to hurt it while it isn't attached to anyone," she posits to the others. "Rounds it has one of us captured we may focus on thinning the herd instead."

"I won't argue against that logic!" Zaria replies as she pivots on her feet and charges towards the Root, moving to C2 and striking the Root. Viper moves to D3 to fire at the Root.

OoC: I change my action back to rallying Viper since he is now firing on the Root.

Round Seven:
Zaria Initiative Roll - (1, 1, 3) Zero successes

Varen moves to B6
Varen drinks a Plasma Potion - (5, +1) Six vitality restored
Merei rallies Viper (+3)
Kirwin moves to D3 
Viper moves to C5
Viper vs Hydra Root  - (6, 6, 2, 5, 4 +1) Five successes vs (6, 3) One success = Four damage
Zaria moves to C2
Kirwin rallies Zaria (+3)
Zaria vs. Hydra Root - (4, 4, 1, 4, 5, +1) Five successes vs. (5, 4) Two successes = Three damage

Hydra Sprout A moves to C2
Hydra Sprout A vs. Zaria - (6, 4, 6, +1) Four success vs. (6, 5, +2) Four successes = Zero damage
Hydra Calyx move to F3
Hydra Calyx vs. Viper - (2, 4, 5, +1) Three successes vs. (2, 3, +1) One successes = Two damage
Hydra Root uses Parasitic Reach against Varen - (1, 5, 6, 3) Two successes vs. (2, 3) Zero successes = Success
Hydra Sprout D moves to B5
Hydra Sprout D vs Merei - (5, 4, 2, +1) Three successes vs. (1, 1) Zero successes = Three damage
Hydra Meiospore uses Propogation and moves to G5

The battle swings violently back and forth. After the Root's failure, the group rallies together for a pointed aside. Varen chugs a Plasma Potion, bringing him back to a healthy state. Merei's Celestial magic guides Viper as the mercenary makes a series of precise shots, aiming for the Root's eyes. Kirwin's drone guides Zaria as she charges in, furiously hacking away at the tendril holding the Root to the energy cylinders. The Root begins to look haggard, its eyes staring at the entire party at once. It gives an ear-splitting shriek, and its brood charges in. One sprout attacks Zaria, but in her fury she is able to easily throw the creature off of her. Another swings at Merei, and gouges its talons in deep. The Meiospore better positions itself as the Calyx shoots a tendril at Viper, piercing his armour. The Root shudders, recovering itself and focuses its eyes on the party member at full health. A tendril drops from the ceiling and attaches itself to the lawyer, who barely has a chance to struggle before straightening and facing the rest of his party, ready for a cross-examination...

finaleround7.png

The Enemy:
hydra_boss_3.png
Hydra Root 
Vitality: 13/25

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout A

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout D

hydra_grown_2.png
Hydra Calyx
Skill2

spitter_2_profile.png
Hydra Meiospore 

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)

Merei Teo
Vitality: 1/6 

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Vitality: 5/5

Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf

viper.png
Vitality: 2/7

OoC: Been advocating for tough battles, and damn is this a tough battle. I'm stressed! In the best way possible. Loving it. Two questions: can someone else feed me a plasma potion if I go down? And can someone else feed me an Aetherbrew, or does that have to be from me? 

"Varen," Merei mutters as she looks at the group's lawyer. Murder fills his eyes. "He is part of it now. Clear the sprouts as we spoke about." Merei casts healing light on Viper.