Sign in to follow this  
The Legonater

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #7: My Bleeding Hart

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin says " I think I can lighten the room a bit." They fire up the flamethrower and start using it liberally to both light up the room and clear any hydra areas.

MM Note: All the Hydra are currently asleep - are you sure you want to do that? No problem if you are, I just want to double check. 

9 hours ago, The Legonater said:

MM Note: All the Hydra are currently asleep - are you sure you want to do that? No problem if you are, I just want to double check. 

OOC: Well all the hydra we have seen so far split when they see fire so my goal is to clear a path with fire, like Raiders and the snake pit.

“Before you fire that thing off,” Zaria quietly motions to Kirwin with an outstretched hand as she motions to the flame thrower, “let me see if I can’t see this… creature a bit better.” Zaria creeps forward and attempts to stand on top of the nearest box, looking to get a better view of the area.

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

“Before you fire that thing off,” Zaria quietly motions to Kirwin with an outstretched hand as she motions to the flame thrower, “let me see if I can’t see this… creature a bit better.” Zaria creeps forward and attempts to stand on top of the nearest box, looking to get a better view of the area.

Zaria reaches the top of a stack of boxes, and looks down on the cargo hold, seeing the array of Hydra creatures and cargo crates below her.

hart_maze_test_2.png

Quickly, Zaria figures the party will need to through without waking the mass of Hydra in the room. It wouldn't take much for these creatures to overwhelm them. She drops down and regales the party with her information. While the Hydra are currently sleeping, the party is aware from their fights of how sensitive the Hydra is...

Maze Rules:
The party starts in the lower-left doorway. The goal is to get to the top right doorway without waking any Hydra.

The party wakes a Hydra when they pass in front of its sight line. Despite being asleep, the Hydra still have tremendous forward senses. Each Hydra has a direct line down which they will sense movement if the heroes pass through it, but their sight line is blocked by any cargo that passes in between the party and the Hydra. The heroes can get as close as they want to the Hydra so long as they don't pass in front of its vision.

Send the MM a PM within the next 24 hours featuring the solution to the maze (the easiest way to do this would probably be to copy the image and draw a line from one end to the other) for a bonus character point. 

Edited by The Legonater

Zaria carefully lowers herself down from the container she was standing on. Turning back and looking to Kirwin, she shakes her head in disapproval at using the flamethrower, a nervous look on her face.

ooc: This means after 24 hours we will start again at the end of the maze? There is no need to post in regards to getting through the maze, correct?

6 hours ago, karmajay said:

ooc: This means after 24 hours we will start again at the end of the maze? There is no need to post in regards to getting through the maze, correct?

Yes, I'll post an update in a few hours!

Damn, didn't check today - am going to try the maze now but if you must post, feel free! Don't want to hold people up!

2 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Damn, didn't check today - am going to try the maze now but if you must post, feel free! Don't want to hold people up!

MM Note: I'm not in a rush, I can give you a chance and then post later this evening. :wink: 

MM Note: Or I'll post because Zeph got on that very quickly. :laugh:

Kirwin throws up a drone, and begins leading the way alongside Zaria. Merei quickly picks up the trail as well, leaving Varen to follow behind, gun at the ready. With careful steps, the group moves through the cargo bay, careful not to disturb any of the Hydra. When they successfully get to the other side of bay they breathe out a collective sigh of relief, and ZariaMerei, and Kirwin all feel a little more experienced. They aren't able to rest for very long, however...

deanandduncanbad.png

Standing before the functioning airlock to Container Gamma are Dean and Duncan. Dean appears to have lost his glasses and is in something of a panic; behind him, Duncan is hunched over, convulsing against the bulkhead.

dean.png
Thank the gods you're here! Please, help! You have to do something!

Zaria glances over at Duncan, a growing pit agitating her stomach.

What happened to him? I need an answer, and I need it now, Dean.” 

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria glances over at Duncan, a growing pit agitating her stomach.

What happened to him? I need an answer, and I need it now, Dean.” 

dean.png
I- we- that thing in Engineering attacked us! We were able to jump through the airlock, but Duncan got hurt - he got hurt bad. I think it swiped his shin or something, cut him right to the bone. We were able to patch him up and... I don't know, he seemed fine. He was still walking, somehow, so we pushed through. I thought he was getting better! He looked like he was healing! But then we got to the other side of that damn maze and... he just started shaking. He's... he's going to be okay, right? He can shake this off! We've always been able to shake things off... to keep moving...

Merei watches Zaria carefully. “We were able to scare it out of the captain,” she reminds her, “and he was infected longer. Kirwin, I suggest we act swiftly and decisively. I think your should hold the flame close to Duncan, perhaps even on Duncan, and I can heal him as we proceed to scare the Hydra out.”

Merei will heal Duncan if attempts to scare the Hydra out of him appear to be gravely injuring him.

Zaria steps out of the way for Kirwin to do what they intended to do, but her hand stayed on the pommel of her sword. She looks over Merei with concern.

”I will be here if you need me.”

On 2/9/2022 at 2:57 PM, Zepher said:

Merei will heal Duncan if attempts to scare the Hydra out of him appear to be gravely injuring him.

Merei Religion Check (DC 1/3) - (3) 0 Success

Merei cautiously steps towards Duncan. One of his arms has turned entirely into the Hydra substance, as well as one of his legs. Reaching out her hands and keeping her distance, Merei attempts to burn the Hydra out of Duncan, but it reacts differently than it did before. Duncan's hand twitches as the tendrils recoil, but instead of fleeing, they dig back into Duncan's hand. 

Merei casts Healing Light - (2, +1) 1 Vitality restored.

In a panic, Merei reaches out, trying to mend Duncan's injuries. Her burning magic covers Duncan's body, trying to patch together his many injuries, but it's not able to act faster than the Hydra is. Agitated, the substance surges through the officer's body. For a moment Duncan collapses and goes still. Then, the body of Duncan rights itself, and turned to give a fixed stare at Merei and Kirwin.

deanandduncanbad_2.png

duncan.png
▂▂▃▃▄▄▅▅!

An unholy screech erupts from within Duncan's body. The room shakes. There is a brief moment where all is still, but the quiet is broken by the sound of shifting that reverberates all throughout the cargo container. Skittering and slithering echoes all around the party. Looking past the convulsing mass that is Duncan, Kirwin and Merei settle on the glowing control panel for the airlock. There may only be one way out of this...

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

Kirwin Initiative Check - (4) One success
Merei Initiative Check - (5, 1) One success
Varen Initiative Check - (2, 2) Zero successes
Zaria Initiative Check - (3, 5, 2) One success

Duncan Initiative Check (2, 1) Zero successes

cargoround0.png

The Enemy:
duncan.png
Duncan
Vitality
: 3/3
Velocity: 2
Strength: 2
Skill: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Insight 1, Short Range Weapons 1, Technology 1
Equipment: ITA Badge, Birthday gift for Dean
Innate: Hydra Parasite (Calibrated Kinetic Short Range Weapon)

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Character Points: 4/17
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Coding 2, Piloting 1, Engineering 2, Explosives 1, Technology 2 
Credits: 18
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Adventuring Leathers (Standard Kinetic Armour), Utility Belt
Inventory: 3 Hampering Minor Chemical Contained grenades, 2 Plasma Potions, Hacking Chip, Captain Ilbery's Security Card, Alien Mandible (Standard Kinetic Weapon), Makeshift Flamethrower (Standard Short-Range Elemental Weapon), Skeleton Key Card (Unlocks 1 lock per mission)

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg
Merei Teo
Age 24 Female, Helioi-Touched Celestial (Born Menahi) 
Character Points: 3/17
Vitality: 3/6 
Velocity: 2
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Spirit: 0/3
Proficiencies: Occult 1, Religion 1, Coding 1, Insight 1
Known Spells: Healing Light, Solar Flare, Gravity Sink
Credits: 161
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Essence of Intellect, Plasma Potion, Nanite Elixir, Holo-Tome
(+1 to non-Spell Arcana, Nature, Religion, and Occult Checks)

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Character Points: 4/16
Vitality: 5/5
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Culture 2, Deception 1, Insight 1, Persuasion 2, Long Range Weapon 1, Coding 1*
Known Spells (if applicable): 
Credits: 124
Equipment: Lawyer's Rifle (Standard Long Range Energy weapon), Translator Cube
Inventory: 1x Essence of Glibness, 1x Essence of Intellect, Ion Repeater (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Adrenaline Decoction, 2x Bulking Stim, Aether Brew, Plasma Potion, Ion Scope (This weapon ignores Obscurement)

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor) 
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 4/18
Vitality: 4/6
Velocity: 3
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 1/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 2, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Sonic Sweep
Credits: 139
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion (3), Aether Brew, Essence of Toughness, Holoscroll (Enhanced Vision), Repulsor (Armour Attachment +1 to Defend Rolls when wearing this armor)

viper.png
Viper Carpathia (Will take suggestions)
Vitality: 7/7
Strength: 4
Skill: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Persuasion 1, Short Range Weapons 2, Survival 1
Equipment: Starblazer Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour), Captain's Sidearm (Standard Short-Range Energy Weapon)

Cargo Fight Rules:
- Every round a new wave of Hydra creatures will arrive
- If a hero is at any point in their turn adjacent to the airlock controls (symbolized by the glowing yellow panel) they can use an action to initiate the airlock cycle
- Once the airlock is initiated, it will take three turns to cycle through the air and open to the party. After these three turns, the airlock will close again once all the party members pass into the airlock. This will end combat

Edited by The Legonater

OoC: I believe I should be out of Aetherbrews, as I've used one since the last combat. I keep asking Varen for his, since he does not use them, but he hasn't ever given it to me or responded to the request. I also did it twice, by accident, lol. Whoops! It's the same results both times, so it doesn't matter. Also was hoping for Kirwin to roast him, and for me to heal him, but oh well haha.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:17 PM, The Legonater said:

(4, +1) 5 spirit restored.

(4, +1), (4, +1) 2 Vitality restored to both Varen and Kirwin

On 1/24/2022 at 9:10 PM, The Legonater said:

Merei then chugs an Aetherbrew - (2, +1) 3 Spirit restored.

Merei heals Varen - (6, +1) 2 Successes, 2 Vitality restored.

Merei heals Kirwin - (5, +1) 2 Successes, 2 Vitality restored.

"Kirwin. We need this process begun as soon as possible. Would you like me to do the honors? Or will you?" OoC: I think it'll take us both two turns to get there?

Kirwin will move to the yellow panel and initiate the airlock sequence. If someone gets there first then they will go into the airlock.

4 hours ago, Zepher said:

OoC: I think it'll take us both two turns to get there?

MM Note: I'm realizing I can just specify that you need to be in A5 to activate the switch. Merei and Kirwin are both two squares away, the rest of the party are all three squares away.

I've docked you the Aether Brew, but just to be clear, Merei didn't have the spirit for the second set of healing, right? I counted both into the current health pools, so with only one set Kirwin would be at 5/6 and Varen would be at 3/5.

3 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin will move to the yellow panel and initiate the airlock sequence. If someone gets there first then they will go into the airlock.

MM Note: Another point of clarity, no one can enter the airlock until the three turns of cycling out the air have passed.

Edited by The Legonater

Zaria draws her power khopesh as it whirs with power. A grim look dawns over her: vigilant and angry. "Viper, stay close. We move as one! Dean! On me!" She moves to B3 and with one motion strikes Duncan, aiming for the neck. She recites in elvish a last rite: a dirge for the deceased; a promise for peace on the final journey. She motions for Viper to move to B5 and Defend.

OoC: Sorry, yes, only meant to do it the once. Also don’t remember the rules for moving - are diagonals allowed? I thought they weren’t for some reason. Let me check! EDIT: Oh! Is allowed!

”Kirwin, I can get to it quicker. Help the others.” Merei moves to the control panel and begins the sequence. Varen rallies himself.

hydraattack.png

Round One:
Merei moves to A5
Merei initiates the airlock cycle
Kirwin defends Merei (+1)
Zaria vs. Duncan - (4, 6, 4 +1) 4 Successes vs. (4) One success = 3 damage
Varen rallies himself (+2)
Viper defends himself (+2)

Hydra Sprouts A, B, C, D enter combat - initiative rolls:
Hydra Sprout A - (5) One success
Hydra Sprout B - (2) Zero successes
Hydra Sprout C - (6) One success
Hydra Sprout D - (2) Zero successes

Merei charges past Duncan to the airlock controls, starting up the cycle that comes between them and safety. Kirwin's drone follows, protecting Merei from any potential danger. As Merei rushes by, Zaria coldly steps towards what remains of the ITA officer. She flips the khopesh into her hands. Looking past the human and seeing only the parasite, Zaria swings her blade and cuts the man in twain before he can even attack. Not satisfied, she comes around for a second attack to bisect the tendrils connections and render it innert. But the party is hardly safe yet. Varen and Viper ready their weapons side-by-side as the first wave of the Hydra crest over the line of crates, a group of smaller sprouts with their mandibles gnashing hungrily. 

Three turns before airlock opens.

cargoround1.png

The Enemy:
hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout A
Vitality: 5/5
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 3, Nature 1, Survival 1
Equipment: 5 Credits
Innate: Piercing Mandibles (Standard Kinetic Melee Weapon)
Passive AbilitySelf-Pollination - 1/3 chance to revive upon death, gaining 1d4 health.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout B
Equipment: Plasma Potion
Passive AbilitySelf-Pollination - 1/3 chance to revive upon death, gaining 1d4 health.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout C
Equipment: Aether Brew
Passive Ability: Self-Pollination - 1/3 chance to revive upon death, gaining 1d4 health.

hydra_small_profile.png
Hydra Sprout D
Equipment: 10 Credits
Passive AbilitySelf-Pollination - 1/3 chance to revive upon death, gaining 1d4 health.

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Character Points: 4/17
Vitality: 5/6
Velocity: 1
Skill: 1
Proficiencies: Coding 2, Piloting 1, Engineering 2, Explosives 1, Technology 2 
Credits: 18
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Adventuring Leathers (Standard Kinetic Armour), Utility Belt
Inventory: 3 Hampering Minor Chemical Contained grenades, 2 Plasma Potions, Hacking Chip, Captain Ilbery's Security Card, Alien Mandible (Standard Kinetic Weapon), Makeshift Flamethrower (Standard Short-Range Elemental Weapon), Skeleton Key Card (Unlocks 1 lock per mission)

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg
Merei Teo
Age 24 Female, Helioi-Touched Celestial (Born Menahi) 
Character Points: 3/17
Vitality: 3/6 
Spirit: 0/3
Proficiencies: Occult 1, Religion 1, Coding 1, Insight 1
Known Spells: Healing Light, Solar Flare, Gravity Sink
Credits: 161
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Essence of Intellect, Plasma Potion, Nanite Elixir, Holo-Tome 
(+1 to non-Spell Arcana, Nature, Religion, and Occult Checks)

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Character Points: 4/16
Vitality: 3/5
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Culture 2, Deception 1, Insight 1, Persuasion 2, Long Range Weapon 1, Coding 1*
Known Spells (if applicable): 
Credits: 124
Equipment: Lawyer's Rifle (Standard Long Range Energy weapon), Translator Cube
Inventory: 1x Essence of Glibness, 1x Essence of Intellect, Ion Repeater (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Adrenaline Decoction, 2x Bulking Stim, Aether Brew, Plasma Potion, Ion Scope (This weapon ignores Obscurement)

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor) 
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 4/18
Vitality: 4/6
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 1/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 2, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Sonic Sweep
Credits: 139
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion (3), Aether Brew, Essence of Toughness, Holoscroll (Enhanced Vision), Repulsor (Armour Attachment +1 to Defend Rolls when wearing this armor)

viper.png
Viper Carpathia (Will take suggestions)
Vitality: 7/7
Strength: 4
Skill: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Persuasion 1, Short Range Weapons 2, Survival 1
Equipment: Starblazer Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour), Captain's Sidearm (Standard Short-Range Energy Weapon)

Kirwin says "These things are afraid of fire." Kirwin prepares to use the flamethrower to divert any hydras while waiting for the airlock.