Sign in to follow this  
The Legonater

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #7: My Bleeding Hart

Watching the others taper off down the hall, Zaria turns to Viper, speaking to him. "If anything happens to show up that looks like a creepy crawly, shout like your life depends on it. I will try not to be too long." She leaves Viper for the time being and follows the group, as baffled as she is disturbed by the corpse in the bars.

"This entire place is less a cargo freighter and more like a tomb the further we press on." She comments solemnly. "As much as I have a desire to press on, it is not out of curiosity anymore. I know what we will find."

10 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin follows Merei and looks around. They shake their head at the dead bodies and walk to the terminal to investiagte.

Kirwin accesses the security console, booting up a series of commands.

<Beta Diagnostic - Airlock w/ Gamma [Full Functionality] - Security Measures [Full Functionality] - Air Ventilation [Minor Damage] - Life Support [Full Functionality]>
<Access [Container Beta] cameras (Y/N)>
<[Release] Cargo Hold Energy Shields (Y/N)>

10 hours ago, Zepher said:

Merei looks around for someway to free Viper, as well as if there is an easy way to see the interior of the Beta and the other containers. She also, as always, identifies the dead bodies. "No Hydra in here, as far as I can see so far!" she calls back to the others.

As Kirwin looks over the console, Merei searches the bodies. She finds that the one on the ground is named Joan Morrisson, while the one wedged in the bars was Ruby Barlow

3 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Kirwin accesses the security console, booting up a series of commands.

<Beta Diagnostic - Airlock w/ Gamma [Full Functionality] - Security Measures [Full Functionality] - Air Ventilation [Minor Damage] - Life Support [Full Functionality]>
<Access [Container Beta] cameras (Y/N)>
<[Release] Cargo Hold Energy Shields (Y/N)>

Kirwin examines the cameras.

"Ok, I can release the cell from here, are we ready to do that?"

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"This entire place is less a cargo freighter and more like a tomb the further we press on." She comments solemnly. "As much as I have a desire to press on, it is not out of curiosity anymore. I know what we will find."

"Not everything has been solved yet, Zaria." Merei cautions her. "We know very little of the Hydra, or its origins, or its purpose. These would be things worth discovering."

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin examines the cameras.

"Ok, I can release the cell from here, are we ready to do that?"

"I believe so." Merei looks over Kirwin's shoulder at the read-outs. "Minor damage to the ventilation. Worth noting. Perhaps a way for the Hydra to move or spread."

10 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Not everything has been solved yet, Zaria." Merei cautions her. "We know very little of the Hydra, or its origins, or its purpose. These would be things worth discovering."

"If I am being honest, I care little about its origins or its purpose. It is a menace to us as much as it was and is a menace to the crew." Zaria looked to Kirwin. "Let me move to the cell first. I'll call for you when I'm there and when to open it." Zaria did as she said and moves to the cell room with Viper in it.

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"If I am being honest, I care little about its origins or its purpose. It is a menace to us as much as it was and is a menace to the crew." Zaria looked to Kirwin. "Let me move to the cell first. I'll call for you when I'm there and when to open it." Zaria did as she said and moves to the cell room with Viper in it.

viper.png
Welcome back to paradise, I see you come here often.

Viper glances around the unchanged cell. I, uh, hate to be that guy, but the shield is still up.

Zaria turns around after entering the room, cupping her hands to her mouth as she shouts down the corridor. "WORK YOUR FINGERS, MAGIC MAN!" She returns her gaze to Viper. "Give it a minute and we will have you out of there." She couldn't imagine being locked in a cell, let alone one for a week. Although she was wary of Viper's intentions, she could not leave him here in this cell.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:30 PM, Kintobor said:

Zaria turns around after entering the room, cupping her hands to her mouth as she shouts down the corridor. "WORK YOUR FINGERS, MAGIC MAN!" She returns her gaze to Viper. "Give it a minute and we will have you out of there." She couldn't imagine being locked in a cell, let alone one for a week. Although she was wary of Viper's intentions, she could not leave him here in this cell.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, karmajay said:

Kirwin waits for Zaria to report back and opens the cell

Kirwin Technology Check (DC 3) - 5, 4, 1, 3, 5 (Three successes)

Hearing Zari's voice, Kirwin works away at the console, and before long, has the shield down. Zaria watches as the faint shimmer fades from view, and the lock on the cell door blinks to a pleasant green.

viper.png
Well, how about that?

"Good," says Merei as she returns to the room. She gives Viper a cool stare. She had meant what she said: she was uncomfortable leaving him here, but trust needed to be earned. "Now what do we do with you? Can you fight? Or will you go hide with the crew?"

On 2/1/2022 at 9:16 PM, Kintobor said:

"I would if I were you." Dispensing of her normal efforts, Merei finally allows her idle imagined thoughts, which have percolated subconsciously the entire time they've been on the ship, to bubble to the surface. "Wouldn't you like to know if Hart was purposefully shipping this somewhere? I will admit I don't trust that it was aboard the ship. Or one of the company's clients was doing the same? What if the Space Police were shipping it? If so, was intended for research, or as a weapon against someone? Are there more of them, perhaps under corporate control? Or if it instead hails from the port we just left? What if there are more of it, lurking in the vents there, waiting to strike? Or if it is a product of this Forbidden Sector. Is in one of a kind? One of ten? One of thousands? How was it awoken? None of this strikes you as something you'd like answered?"

Merei's composure remains calm and gentle as she reels off her questions. "Those are some of the things I'd like to know, among many." She goes to the final part of the Beta container they haven't checked, the Main Cargo Compartment.

Zaria listens to Merei intently. As much as she was deeply disturbed by this creature, she was loathe to admit that the celestial had a point. "I suppose in a manner you have a point." Zaria's nostrils flare as she inhales, her anger tempering into steel. "Knowing more about this creature would be helpful. If someone intentionally attempted to sabotage this vessel with this creature then I want to know." She tightens her grip on her power-khopesh.

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

Merei's composure remains calm and gentle as she reels off her questions. "Those are some of the things I'd like to know, among many." She goes to the final part of the Beta container they haven't checked, the Main Cargo Compartment.

1 hour ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin follows Merei to the Main Cargo compartment.

Merei and Kirwin step into the room that makes up the majority of the container, a large space with a high ceiling filled wall-to-wall with crates and boxes of all sorts. Given Valencia's rocky journey, the crates have been jostled around out of their typically organized configuration.

maze_view.png

The mass of cargo obscures their vision of the space, making it difficult if not impossible to see the entirety of the room from their vantage. They do, however, see a Hydra Sprout in front of them, laying in some sort of prone position, its eye apparently closed. Merei and Kirwin freeze, watching the creature - it seems to be still, perhaps even sleeping, though low insect-like chittering still emerges from it as it sub-consciously breathes. The more they wait, the more they hear similar chittering all around them, echoing off the high walls of the container.  

Zaria looks to Viper. "Do you have any interest in coming along? I understand your dislike for Hart, but at this point either we all escape together or we all perish together. Can I count on you to at the very least allow us to keep you safe?" She asks the stowaway.

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria looks to Viper. "Do you have any interest in coming along? I understand your dislike for Hart, but at this point either we all escape together or we all perish together. Can I count on you to at the very least allow us to keep you safe?" She asks the stowaway.

Viper stands up and walks out his cell, stretching as he does. Zaria can clearly hear the audible creaking and popping of bones as he adjusts his knees, shoulders, and neck.

viper.png
Gonna be honest, love - I'm not sure I'm gonna be much use in a fight against... whatever those things are. I don't have a solid blaster with me, and I'm a bit outta practice given... prison and all that. Besides, he glances down the corridor and into the sight Merei and Kirwin have uncovered, I'm not exactly sure I want to risk my head any more than I have. I'll leave you the choice, though, you seem to have some know-how. If you want to put up the effort protecting my hide, I'll come along. If not, I can stick back here or find a spot to hide somewhere else. I'm content either way. 

Merei looks around swiftly, trying to determine if there are any bodies in the rubble. “Kirwin. As much as I’d like to explore this area, it seems an unnecessary risk.” She begins to back out carefully.

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

Merei looks around swiftly, trying to determine if there are any bodies in the rubble. “Kirwin. As much as I’d like to explore this area, it seems an unnecessary risk.” She begins to back out carefully.

From this vantage point it is impossible for Merei to look around the entire cargo space, obstructing her search for the bodies. She steps back out into the corridor, joining Varen, Zaria, and Viper. 

“The room isn’t safe. I suggest we move forward and, should we still have questions, we can return to it prepared for combat. I will admit I am curious what is in there, but I don’t want to put anyone at risk. Unless you are hoping to be thorough in this creature’s destruction, Zaria. If not, let’s move to the next container.” Merei goes to examine the passageway to the next container. "It raises an interesting consideration, though. The bomb we were hoping for appears to have been a decoy, built instead as a signal booster. How do we hope to destroy the ship?"

34 minutes ago, Zepher said:

“The room isn’t safe. I suggest we move forward and, should we still have questions, we can return to it prepared for combat. I will admit I am curious what is in there, but I don’t want to put anyone at risk. Unless you are hoping to be thorough in this creature’s destruction, Zaria. If not, let’s move to the next container.” Merei goes to examine the passageway to the next container. "It raises an interesting consideration, though. The bomb we were hoping for appears to have been a decoy, built instead as a signal booster. How do we hope to destroy the ship?"

MM Note: To be clear, the passageway to the next container is through the main cargo hold.

Merei pokes around for a little bit before realizing her mistake. "That's that decision made," she mutters, feeling a little foolish. She returns to the others. "We must clear the room. Are you ready? Zaria? Varen?"

21 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Viper stands up and walks out his cell, stretching as he does. Zaria can clearly hear the audible creaking and popping of bones as he adjusts his knees, shoulders, and neck.

viper.png
Gonna be honest, love - I'm not sure I'm gonna be much use in a fight against... whatever those things are. I don't have a solid blaster with me, and I'm a bit outta practice given... prison and all that. Besides, he glances down the corridor and into the sight Merei and Kirwin have uncovered, I'm not exactly sure I want to risk my head any more than I have. I'll leave you the choice, though, you seem to have some know-how. If you want to put up the effort protecting my hide, I'll come along. If not, I can stick back here or find a spot to hide somewhere else. I'm content either way. 

Zaria thought for a moment, weighing her options. "I do not like the thought of you being left alone. Come along." Zaria turns to Merei as she enters the room. "I am ready. Viper, stay close to me. My blade will keep you safe. Kirwin, do you have that blaster from the security chief still? I would at least like to offer it to Viper to give him something to protect himself with."

14 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria thought for a moment, weighing her options. "I do not like the thought of you being left alone. Come along." Zaria turns to Merei as she enters the room. "I am ready. Viper, stay close to me. My blade will keep you safe. Kirwin, do you have that blaster from the security chief still? I would at least like to offer it to Viper to give him something to protect himself with."

4 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kiriwn hands the weapon to Viper and will follow Zaria and Merie back into the compartment.

Viper cradles the gun in his hands for a beat before stuffing it in a holster.

viper.png
I appreciate the vote of confidence. Let's hope it doesn't blow up in our face, eh?

The group steps back into the cargo hold. Surrounded by crates with little clear way to proceed, the party again finds themselves wishing they could get a higher perspective.

maze_view_2.png

MM Note: The last image appeared way darker than intended on most screens, so I've lightened it up a little. It shouldn't change anything, just gives a better visual. 

Kirwin says " I think I can lighten the room a bit." They fire up the flamethrower and start using it liberally to both light up the room and clear any hydra areas.

Merei begins to sneak forward carefully before seeing that Kirwin is taking a different route. “This works as well.” She follows close behind.