Sign in to follow this  
The Legonater

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #7: My Bleeding Hart

The heroes help organize the evacuation of Valencia. McSorley plants the transmitter and sends out a signal out to Port Charon. It's a solemn business, but one-by-one the group divides the group between Actaeon and the ITA shuttle. Merei says farewell to the rest of her party, before the three step back into the shuttle they began their mission on, joined by Viper, Dean, and McSorley. There is a brief explanation before Alexa separates from Valencia and begins to make their way out of Forbidden Sector, hopefully, to never return.

jace_white.png
Well, that wasn't a pretty operation, but you got it done. Jace sighs deeply, glowering occasionally at Viper's presence on his ship. After a few minutes, he brings himself to turn back to the heroes. Kirwin gave us a pretty brief rundown, but can you three explain exactly what happened on there? And why there's a Starblazer in here instead of Merei?

------

The celestial, meanwhile, stays aboard Valencia, gazing out the main viewport along with Ilbery and Greenlaw. Tyne Jr. stands at the bridge controls, familiar enough with the systems to keep Valencia's lights on and guide whoever comes for them.

captain_ilbery_attack_final.png
...I can't believe that it came to this. Who could have known, when we began... that it would bring us here. If only we could have saw... 

Merei watches the rest of the party leave before turning to the captain. "It seems that you didn't know it would come to this. But I believe there are those who knew the risk. Greenlaw, perhaps?" she says loudly enough for the doctor to overhear her, "and certainly Hart. I don't know what sort of loyalty you hold to your employers, but they hold very little, it seems, to you."

She claps her hands together. "For now, we must concern ourselves with the business of surviving. We will patrol the ship constantly, in pairs, and burn any Hydra that appears before it has a chance to sincerely develop. Greenlaw, you know more about this than I. Advise us how we can best avoid infection. I assume the Hydra grows slowly, and is only dangerous if given some time to develop. So we can't let it reach that stage."

Merei spends her time waiting for rescue by patrolling the ship, talking to the other three aboard, and especially asking Greenlaw questions about the connection the Hydra made her feel with the others.

18 hours ago, The Legonater said:

The heroes help organize the evacuation of Valencia. McSorley plants the transmitter and sends out a signal out to Port Charon. It's a solemn business, but one-by-one the group divides the group between Actaeon and the ITA shuttle. Merei says farewell to the rest of her party, before the three step back into the shuttle they began their mission on, joined by Viper, Dean, and McSorley. There is a brief explanation before Alexa separates from Valencia and begins to make their way out of Forbidden Sector, hopefully, to never return.

jace_white.png
Well, that wasn't a pretty operation, but you got it done. Jace sighs deeply, glowering occasionally at Viper's presence on his ship. After a few minutes, he brings himself to turn back to the heroes. Kirwin gave us a pretty brief rundown, but can you three explain exactly what happened on there? And why there's a Starblazer in here instead of Merei?

"Merei's staying behind for reasons I believe only she could explain." Zaria replies, tired. She takes a seat in the passenger area. "Even then, I do not personally believe that her explanation would be enough. Merei stayed behind because she decided to. Whether or not that was the correct call... we will soon discover.

From what I understand the creature being transported, the Hydra, was awoken upon Viper's discovery. He was captured and held in a makeshift cell by the crew with the intent of handing him over to the authorities when they reached Cosmopoli. The Hydra broke free from it's container and ripped it's way through the ship, infecting members of the crew and endangering others. I worry about Greenlaw. She seems to have taken her time connected to the Hydra in a manner that I can politely describe as "unhealthy"." Zaria frowned as she mentioned Greenlaw and her obsession with the Hydra. "Viper helped us out immensely once we rescued him. As much as I am disappointed in his initial plans, I do not know if we would have survived our quarrel with the Hydra if not for him. He has my gratitude, if nothing else." Zaria nodded in appreciation towards Viper. "That would be the, as the saying goes, "short version" of the events that transpired. I would be more than willing to expound upon anything if you would like." Despite all this, Zaria glanced out into the depths of space and into the Forbidden Sector. As ghoulish as the events were that transpired on the freighter were and as hostile to life as this place was, she still found it beautifully haunting in a way. How insignificant small she was in comparison to the vastness of the void outside of the ship. It would be near divinity if only she could focus on it and not the events prior.

13 hours ago, Zepher said:

Merei watches the rest of the party leave before turning to the captain. "It seems that you didn't know it would come to this. But I believe there are those who knew the risk. Greenlaw, perhaps?" she says loudly enough for the doctor to overhear her, "and certainly Hart. I don't know what sort of loyalty you hold to your employers, but they hold very little, it seems, to you."

Greenlaw sticks up her nose a little, put out by the comment.

greenlawfinal.png
Dearie, did you know, when stepping on Valencia, that you'd have to put down a fellow life? Do you think Viper knew when he snuck onboard that he'd unleash a monster? Everything has its consequences, who are we to know what the results will be? She turns to Merei briefly, before staring ahead again. I insisted our safety parameters were secure - and they were, until they weren't. Sabatoge, dangerous nebulae, gunfights... you can't predict everything, dear.

You certainly could have tried... Merei is right. We'll keep secure until the rescue craft comes.

14 hours ago, Zepher said:

She claps her hands together. "Greenlaw, you know more about this than I. Advise us how we can best avoid infection. I assume the Hydra grows slowly, and is only dangerous if given some time to develop. So we can't let it reach that stage."

Merei spends her time waiting for rescue by patrolling the ship, talking to the other three aboard, and especially asking Greenlaw questions about the connection the Hydra made her feel with the others.

greenlawfinal.png
Your inner flame certainly seems adept at holding the Hydra at bay. I imagine something about the heat it keeps them from bonding together.

I think Gail had spare flares locked away in the security closet... I could get us access there.

greenlawfinal.png
As for the connection... I'm not sure it's something the others will fully appreciate. They felt resistant to it. I know, because for a moment... they were me. And I was them. United in one consciousness. And the mind of the Hydra... so old and powerful... I have no words for how it felt. It was unworldly.

-------

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Merei's staying behind for reasons I believe only she could explain." Zaria replies, tired. She takes a seat in the passenger area. "Even then, I do not personally believe that her explanation would be enough. Merei stayed behind because she decided to. Whether or not that was the correct call... we will soon discover.

From what I understand the creature being transported, the Hydra, was awoken upon Viper's discovery. He was captured and held in a makeshift cell by the crew with the intent of handing him over to the authorities when they reached Cosmopoli. The Hydra broke free from it's container and ripped it's way through the ship, infecting members of the crew and endangering others. I worry about Greenlaw. She seems to have taken her time connected to the Hydra in a manner that I can politely describe as "unhealthy"." Zaria frowned as she mentioned Greenlaw and her obsession with the Hydra. "Viper helped us out immensely once we rescued him. As much as I am disappointed in his initial plans, I do not know if we would have survived our quarrel with the Hydra if not for him. He has my gratitude, if nothing else." Zaria nodded in appreciation towards Viper. "That would be the, as the saying goes, "short version" of the events that transpired. I would be more than willing to expound upon anything if you would like." Despite all this, Zaria glanced out into the depths of space and into the Forbidden Sector. As ghoulish as the events were that transpired on the freighter were and as hostile to life as this place was, she still found it beautifully haunting in a way. How insignificant small she was in comparison to the vastness of the void outside of the ship. It would be near divinity if only she could focus on it and not the events prior.

cygnus_fixed.png
The boss is going to be pissed, Alexa calls from the cockpit.

jace_white.png
Well, that's Mr. Mortizar's problem. I'll put in a word, we can see to it that Greenlaw is given a full examination. And I will personally speak to Mr. Mortizar on your behalf - whatever hubris that led to... this mess... shouldn't become indicative of Hart's standard operating procedure. And it won't be. This is already going to be a journalist shitstorm, I just know it. It's only thanks to the four of you that this isn't a total wash, and you deserve our full thanks for that. I'll be making sure an additional 25 credits are wired into your accounts along with the 50 we had agreed upon. It's a small compensation, but hopefully, it's something. I'm sorry for all of this. As for you... Jace turns to face ViperI suppose I have to thank you for your services as well. I'm sure Hart Logistics will have to reconsider its routes through Port 927-C after this incident - it seems your Starblazers are going to win big from all of this in the end. A fascinating twist.

viper.png
I can't pretend I planned it that way, but I guess if it takes Hart's stink out of our station, that's something I'll celebrate.

jace_white.png
I bet it is... 

18 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Greenlaw sticks up her nose a little, put out by the comment.

greenlawfinal.png
Dearie, did you know, when stepping on Valencia, that you'd have to put down a fellow life? Do you think Viper knew when he snuck onboard that he'd unleash a monster? Everything has its consequences, who are we to know what the results will be? She turns to Merei briefly, before staring ahead again. I insisted our safety parameters were secure - and they were, until they weren't. Sabatoge, dangerous nebulae, gunfights... you can't predict everything, dear.

You certainly could have tried... Merei is right. We'll keep secure until the rescue craft comes.

greenlawfinal.png
Your inner flame certainly seems adept at holding the Hydra at bay. I imagine something about the heat it keeps them from bonding together.

I think Gail had spare flares locked away in the security closet... I could get us access there.

greenlawfinal.png
As for the connection... I'm not sure it's something the others will fully appreciate. They felt resistant to it. I know, because for a moment... they were me. And I was them. United in one consciousness. And the mind of the Hydra... so old and powerful... I have no words for how it felt. It was unworldly.

"You're not wrong," Merei says to Greenlaw. "I am not faulting you, Doctor. Only your employer. I'm sure you took precautions, but this was not the ship for that mission." Merei's flames dim. "As for my inner flame, you're correct in your assessment. It gave me a unique advantage against this creature. And no, I didn't come here planning to or hoping to kill. If anything, I am of your persuasion - I would be intrigued to experience this melding you describe. The difference being I would rather do it of my own volition. It wasn't right to take the others against their will. Especially Luce. That is too high a price, especially for the unwilling."

"Captain. I think flares would be for the best. Whatever mysteries the Hydra holds, it won't be visited upon us. These are matters best left for safer, better days."

MM Note: If y'all want to RP anymore, feel free to do so!

6 hours ago, Zepher said:

"You're not wrong," Merei says to Greenlaw. "I am not faulting you, Doctor. Only your employer. I'm sure you took precautions, but this was not the ship for that mission." Merei's flames dim. "As for my inner flame, you're correct in your assessment. It gave me a unique advantage against this creature. And no, I didn't come here planning to or hoping to kill. If anything, I am of your persuasion - I would be intrigued to experience this melding you describe. The difference being I would rather do it of my own volition. It wasn't right to take the others against their will. Especially Luce. That is too high a price, especially for the unwilling."

Too high a price... maybe if we had acted sooner... but how can you commit to such a course when you don't have all the variables? Ilbery considers for a moment, morosely staring out the viewscreen and into the space beyond. We all must do what we think is best... and hope it was all worth it.

greenlawfinal.png
Us and our bleeding hearts. 

An imperceptible grin crosses Greenlaw's face as she met Ilbery's gaze. It was impossible to tell how remorseful she was - perhaps only the impending Hart investigation would prove anything. The group settled in for a long few days waiting for rescue. They would unhook the other cargo containers and have regular shifts, stopping the Hydra from growing enough to attack them. With what remained of the power reserves and their dwindling food, it would not be a cozy journey, but it would be a relatively harmless one in contrast to the bloody hellscape that they had endured to that point. The Forbidden Nebula continued to surge around them, threatening to cover all the mess that had been made. All would be lost in the abyss of space, testified only by the witness of the survivors. Only time would tell what would become of Valencia's legacy.

bridge_end.png

--------

cygnus_fixed.png
Coming out of the nebula, boss. I've connected with the pilot of the ITA shuttle, we can lead them out.

jace_white.png
Thanks, Alexa. We'll pit stop at the Port to refill and drop off our esteemed guests. 

dean.png
Thank you, sir. We won't forget what you've done for us.

jace_white.png
Then we take these heroes home. I bet you'll welcome Ebria Station after a trip like these - always feels longer than you'd think, eh? 

There was, at least at first, no answer. The horrific sights of Valencia still lingered in their minds. They sat uncomfortably with stories of corporate hubris and horrific sacrifice. Had they lived up to the name of Heroica? They could only hope so. If nothing else, they could rest knowing that they saved as many lives as possible - and without them, things would have surely gotten even worse. In that regard, if nothing else, they had been heroes.

finale.png

THE MISSION IS SUCCESSFUL!

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Character Points: 7/20
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 1
Strength: 2
Skill: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Coding 2, Piloting 1, Engineering 2, Explosives 1, Technology 2 
Credits: 118
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Adventuring Leathers (Standard Kinetic Armour), Utility Belt
Inventory: 2 Hampering Minor Chemical Contained grenades, 5 Plasma Potions, Hacking Chip, Captain Ilbery's Security Card, Alien Mandible (Standard Kinetic Weapon), Makeshift Flamethrower (Standard Short-Range Elemental Weapon), Skeleton Key Card (Unlocks 1 lock per mission), Hart Rifle (Calibrated Long Range Energy Weapon

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg
Merei Teo (Stable)
Age 24 Female, Helioi-Touched Celestial (Born Menahi) 
Character Points: 6/20
Vitality: 6/6 
Velocity: 2
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Smarts: 3
Spirit: 1/3
Proficiencies: Occult 1, Religion 1, Coding 1, Insight 1
Known Spells: Healing Light, Solar Flare, Gravity Sink
Credits: 186
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Essence of Intellect, 2x Plasma Potion, Aether Brew, Nanite Elixir, Holo-Tome 
(+1 to non-Spell Arcana, Nature, Religion, and Occult Checks), Hart Containment Gear (Standard Kinetic Armor, +1 Survival)

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Character Points: 7/19
Vitality: 5/5
Velocity: 2
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Culture 2, Deception 1, Insight 1, Persuasion 2, Long Range Weapon 1, Coding 1*
Known Spells (if applicable): 
Credits: 199
Equipment: Lawyer's Rifle (Standard Long Range Energy weapon), Translator Cube
Inventory: 1x Essence of Glibness, 1x Essence of Intellect, Ion Repeater (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Adrenaline Decoction, 2x Bulking Stim, Aether Brew, Ion Scope (This weapon ignores Obscurement), Acid Sack (Apply to weapon, weapon causes poisoned 1 for the duration of one battle, Essence of Precaution

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 7/21
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 3
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 0/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 2, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Sonic Sweep
Credits: 214
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour w/ Repulsor, +1 Defend Rolls), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion (4), Aether Brew x2, Essence of Toughness, Holoscroll (Enhanced Vision), Bulking Stim, Hydra Goo (Apply to a weapon, weapon can cause restrained once per quest)

---------

ending.png

ending_2.png