Sign in to follow this  
The Legonater

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #7: My Bleeding Hart

4 hours ago, Zepher said:

She turns finally to Zaria. "I hate to assume, but given that you're covered in the bits of the creature, I assume you are the one who finished things. I'm pleased you got your wish." Merei glances over at the device Kirwin is holding. "Do you still intend to destroy this ship upon our departure?"

"I did get what I wanted, I suppose." Zaria manages to find the cloth to clean her blade, miraculously clean, and begins to remove the goo from her weapon. "Granted, things may have gotten a little heated in the moment, but the Hydra will no longer terrorize these people." She looked over the people present and grimaced. "I think it is safe to assume, with the Root destroyed, that the ship does not need to be destroyed anymore, not that I think I have the option to do so anymore." She looks at Kirwin as he tampers with the destruct button.

14 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

viper.png
'The least I could do in return for you getting me out of that death trap. If any of you want a word in with some mercs in this quadrant, I'm sure I could set you up.

"I am willing to take you up on that offer." Zaria replies. "I have no compulsion to leave my current occupation, but I would be more than willing to meet some others in this profession."

21 hours ago, Zepher said:

She walks over to Viper and lays a hand on his shoulder. "I am glad your friends asked us to find you." She casts a healing light on him.

Merei Casts Sustained Healing - (5, +1) Two successes = two vitality.

viper.png
Thanks. I'm glad they gave enough of a damn to make sure I was found.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:02 PM, karmajay said:

Kirwin says "Well, with this thing gone for now I think we need to report back to the shuttle with the crew and let them deal with the fall out of this situation. A lot of people are gonna need to do a lot of explaining about how this situation snow balled and that sounds boring to me."

Kirwin disables the self destruct on device so no one accidently detonates the ship while they are on it.

Kirwin Coding Check DC 1 - (1, 2, 3, 3, 5) One success.

Kirwin quickly ensures that the self-destruct will not go off on its own. The device sits in their hands, ready to be activated for one cause or another.

ernestfinal.png
Be careful with that, kid... don't want to do anything hasty, eh?

16 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I am willing to take you up on that offer." Zaria replies. "I have no compulsion to leave my current occupation, but I would be more than willing to meet some others in this profession."

viper.png
I'll be sure to let 'em know. Who exactly are you guys? I'm not sure you properly introduced me to whatever... organization this is. Where should I be sending the post cards?

16 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I think it is safe to assume, with the Root destroyed, that the ship does not need to be destroyed anymore." 

greenlawfinal.png
Good, good. It would be a tragedy to tamper with such a rich opportunity like this. Imagine what we could learn studying regrowth on this level...

17 hours ago, The Legonater said:

dean.png
It's a small ship, just a patrol vehicle, really. It would only fit four, in total. We could use it to ferry, but... that's a lot trip to Charon and back...

greenlawfinal.png
Finished is a strong word, dear friend! Greenlaw excitedly hurries to Merei after being addressed, holding a pool of Hydra in her hands. Do you see it? Do you see it?? Such an astounding creature...

OoC: Between the two ships do we have enough space for those we rescued?

“An astounding creature indeed, and it’s ability to grow and infect is unique and interesting. What was it like to be under its control?” Merei asks as she approaches the Doctor. “And perhaps you can help me understand better and do some accounting. What happened here? Who was shipping it, and why, and how did it infect the ship so thoroughly? You are curious the same as I am, I imagine you have the same questions, and have had more time and resources to pursue the answers.”

27 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Merei Casts Sustained Healing - (5, +1) Two successes = two vitality.

viper.png
Thanks. I'm glad they gave enough of a damn to make sure I was found.

viper.png
I'll be sure to let 'em know. Who exactly are you guys? I'm not sure you properly introduced me to whatever... organization this is. Where should I be sending the post cards?

“We’re Heroica.”

4 hours ago, The Legonater said:

viper.png
"I'll be sure to let 'em know. Who exactly are you guys? I'm not sure you properly introduced me to whatever... organization this is. Where should I be sending the post cards?"

"My group is with Heroica." Zaria replies. "From what I understand we're a fairly new organization. I suppose we're a mercenary group, but I would like to think that our guild is a bit more selective in the jobs we take, for better or worse." Zaria gives a slight smile. "I did not join up for the money. I wanted to see the Arm and spread Varuth's message through companionship and travel." She turns to listen in to Merei and Greenlaw's conversation, suspiciously eyeing the goop in doctor's hands. Some people were incapable of learning...

OoC: Between the two ships do we have enough space for those we rescued?

MM Note: No. Actaeon seats eight in total, so with the party, Jace, and Alexa, you only have two more spots on that ship. 

“We’re Heroica.”

1 minute ago, Kintobor said:

"My group is with Heroica." Zaria replies. "From what I understand we're a fairly new organization. I suppose we're a mercenary group, but I would like to think that our guild is a bit more selective in the jobs we take, for better or worse." Zaria gives a slight smile. "I did not join up for the money. I wanted to see the Arm and spread Varuth's message through companionship and travel." 

viper.png
'Never heard of it, but I'll give you guys a look. 'Lots of new players these days, it seems.

“An astounding creature indeed, and it’s ability to grow and infect is unique and interesting. What was it like to be under its control?” Merei asks as she approaches the Doctor. “And perhaps you can help me understand better and do some accounting. What happened here? Who was shipping it, and why, and how did it infect the ship so thoroughly? You are curious the same as I am, I imagine you have the same questions, and have had more time and resources to pursue the answers.”

greenlawfinal.png
Thrilling! Simply thrilling to be united with the Root like that... united with Simon, and Ernest, and Jamie in ways I could have never expected... It's easy to look at something like the Root and assume that it was the "center" of the Hydra - but I'm not sure that is true! While the Root supplied a base for the Hydra's function, it was no more or less the Hydra than... than we were... She lifts the congealing pool of Hydra in her hands ...than this is

We discovered a dormant shoot of Hydra on the edges of discovered space. It had sown itself deep in the planet, like nothing we had ever seen before. Mortizar was fascinated by the creature's potential. Could it bring a new scientific revolution in medicine? In recovery measures? He wanted it brought to his station so his top people could study it themselves. The growing disruptions to our journey must have awoken the Hydra. It was hungry, so it sought out food. Something to shore itself out so that it could grow and reproduce, and learn. It appeared to seek out primarily energy sources like these couplings, and sapient intelligence. Perhaps it sees them as the same thing? Only time will tell! 

Simon stirred, turning to Greenlaw, still holding the body of Jamie Luce. A certain menace hid behind his voice.

simonend.png 
I'm sorry, Doctor, what exactly are you saying? That thing is dead, right? 

greenlawfinal.png
Oh, not quite! It's certainly vulnerable, its consciousness spread vastly thin. But you can already see, bit by bit, molecule by molecule, it beginning to pull itself together! So long as the ship remains undisturbed, I'm sure we can help it reconstitute in no time!

Kirwin looks at the team before glaring at Greenlaw. "Adventuring can be fun but we still have a responsibility to protect others. The hydra was very hostile to other life forms and it probably is not a good idea to introduce it to a space station full of people." Kirwin points at Greenlaw with the detonator still in hand. "You've shown yourself to be a bit too much on the mad scientist side of things vice a responsible scientist. I'm definitely not letting this ship get to a station without some comprehensive contamination procedures." Kirwin turns to McSorsky. "Does Charon station have something like that? Or do we need to call in a larger organization? If this ship is not going to make it back do we have some way to get the survivors off the ship?"

Zaria was dissatisfied with Kirwin’s soft approach to Greenlaw’s increasingly apparent madness. “Doctor Greenlaw,” she states coldly, “I am no scientist, but I am going to have to disagree with your assessment. The Hydra is dead: slain in battle due to its avarice and danger to every living being in the Arm. This ship is to be decommissioned and scrapped upon reaching Port Charon due to contamination. The Hydra is responsible for at least a dozen deaths aboard this vessel, and if what you see is a learning opportunity,” Zaria wipes her face clean with the cloth she used to clean her blade before tossing it to the floor. She ran her hand along the crackling energy of her blade, “then perhaps it is best for the safety of everyone present and those beyond our immediate paths that your name be added to the list of the deceased.”
 After threatening Greenlaw, she looked to Viper, Dean, and Simon with a grim resolve, looking for their affirmation in her statement. “That, however, is not up to me to decide, Greenlaw. Ultimately this is your path to take. You would agree with me that the Hydra is dead, yes?

6 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin turns to McSorsky. "Does Charon station have something like that? Or do we need to call in a larger organization? If this ship is not going to make it back do we have some way to get the survivors off the ship?"

ernestfinal.png
I'm not familiar 'nough with Charon to say, lad. But, knowing what I do-

dean.png
That would be meDean sounds sullen, withdrawn. ITA is the closest thing Charon has to security. Duncan and I... we were supposed to be the station's authority, and we've already screwed up enough here. I'll defer to your judgment. The four of you have had clearer heads than any of us...

6 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin points at Greenlaw with the detonator still in hand. "You've shown yourself to be a bit too much on the mad scientist side of things vice a responsible scientist. I'm definitely not letting this ship get to a station without some comprehensive contamination procedures." 

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

“Doctor Greenlaw,” she states coldly, “I am no scientist, but I am going to have to disagree with your assessment. The Hydra is dead: slain in battle due to its avarice and danger to every living being in the Arm. This ship is to be decommissioned and scrapped upon reaching Port Charon due to contamination. The Hydra is responsible for at least a dozen deaths aboard this vessel, and if what you see is a learning opportunity,” Zaria wipes her face clean with the cloth she used to clean her blade before tossing it to the floor. She ran her hand along the crackling energy of her blade, “then perhaps it is best for the safety of everyone present and those beyond our immediate paths that your name be added to the list of the deceased.”

Greenlaw appears to be shocked by the hostility she finds from the others. 

greenlawfinal.png
Dearies, I'm afraid I have no control over what the Hydra will or won't do! It's already proven far more durable and versatile than any of us could have predicted - I'm sure if Mortizar had any idea the capacity of such a creature, he would have insisted on better security measures. Alas! I doubt that my death would have any effect on the reconstitution of the Hydra, though I'm sure that would be a fascinating experiment! I suppose you could certainly try... though someone would need to take notes...

simonend.png
Ilbery was right from the start, we should blow this damned ship to oblivion. Jamie didn't die - the dozens of others on this ship didn't die - just to let this thing regrow and become even stronger.

ernestfinal.png
She's lying, surely? Scientists like her lie all the time. We can't-

simonend.png
Greenlaw's always seemed ever-eager to uncover the truth, Chief. I'm not sure she'd make this one up.

ernestfinal.png
Son, if she is - or if she's wrong - we cannot blow up Valencia on a whim! It sounds like these folks have found other survivors, not to mention all the cargo still untouched in these bays. We're not going to be able to fit all of us onto a ride out, something, someone is going to go if we trigger that self-destruct. I'm not willing to make that sacrifice.

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

After threatening Greenlaw, she looked to Viper, Dean, and Simon with a grim resolve, looking for their affirmation in her statement. “That, however, is not up to me to decide, Greenlaw. Ultimately this is your path to take. You would agree with me that the Hydra is dead, yes?

Viper has his hand to his gun, ready to move with Zaria should matters come to it. Dean stands away from the debate, not willing to involve himself and make things worse, while Simon's eyes fire daggers of fury at Greenlaw.

greenlawfinal.png
If you wish to believe that the Hydra is dead and "hope for the best," I will let that be your prerogative. I suppose Mr. McSorley is right and I could be mistaken about all this, but I certainly doubt it. Hmmm... though bias is at play... Of course, if you choose to act in the belief that the Hydra is dead and are wrong, that will be an act with consequences all of its own...

Kirwin looks around the room. "Well, at this point we have a direct contact with Hart we need to report to and let them have some input. They have more knowledge then the crew of the ship most likely. They'll have an idea of what steps we can take next I'm sure." Kirwin's gaze stops on Zaria and smiles. "Probably no need for any more loss of life so soon, right? We need to report all this to Jace immediately and go from there."

Kirwin immediately moves to report all that has happened to Jace.

20 hours ago, The Legonater said:

MM Note: No. Actaeon seats eight in total, so with the party, Jace, and Alexa, you only have two more spots on that ship. 

greenlawfinal.png
Thrilling! Simply thrilling to be united with the Root like that... united with Simon, and Ernest, and Jamie in ways I could have never expected... It's easy to look at something like the Root and assume that it was the "center" of the Hydra - but I'm not sure that is true! While the Root supplied a base for the Hydra's function, it was no more or less the Hydra than... than we were... She lifts the congealing pool of Hydra in her hands ...than this is

We discovered a dormant shoot of Hydra on the edges of discovered space. It had sown itself deep in the planet, like nothing we had ever seen before. Mortizar was fascinated by the creature's potential. Could it bring a new scientific revolution in medicine? In recovery measures? He wanted it brought to his station so his top people could study it themselves. The growing disruptions to our journey must have awoken the Hydra. It was hungry, so it sought out food. Something to shore itself out so that it could grow and reproduce, and learn. It appeared to seek out primarily energy sources like these couplings, and sapient intelligence. Perhaps it sees them as the same thing? Only time will tell! 

Simon stirred, turning to Greenlaw, still holding the body of Jamie Luce. A certain menace hid behind his voice.

simonend.png 
I'm sorry, Doctor, what exactly are you saying? That thing is dead, right? 

greenlawfinal.png
Oh, not quite! It's certainly vulnerable, its consciousness spread vastly thin. But you can already see, bit by bit, molecule by molecule, it beginning to pull itself together! So long as the ship remains undisturbed, I'm sure we can help it reconstitute in no time!

"So it was Hart that found and brought this thing aboard. That is a good thing to know for sure," Merei says, aiming her gaze pointedly at Zaria. "It seems you have a great understanding of this creature, Doctor, and I will admit freely that dissolving barriers between things is of a particular interest to me." She takes out her old aether terminal, and flashes her holy symbol to Greenlaw. "I am all for unlocking the mysteries of this beautiful universe, but I would not put others in danger to do so. The risks I assume I do with my own knowledge, and I would be the one to suffer the consequences. I don't like when others are left in the dark, and made to suffer for it. Is this just a sampling of the Hydra you found elsewhere? Does it still exist there?"

3 hours ago, The Legonater said:

dean.png
That would be meDean sounds sullen, withdrawn. ITA is the closest thing Charon has to security. Duncan and I... we were supposed to be the station's authority, and we've already screwed up enough here. I'll defer to your judgment. The four of you have had clearer heads than any of us...

Greenlaw appears to be shocked by the hostility she finds from the others. 

greenlawfinal.png
Dearies, I'm afraid I have no control over what the Hydra will or won't do! It's already proven far more durable and versatile than any of us could have predicted - I'm sure if Mortizar had any idea the capacity of such a creature, he would have insisted on better security measures. Alas! I doubt that my death would have any effect on the reconstitution of the Hydra, though I'm sure that would be a fascinating experiment! I suppose you could certainly try... though someone would need to take notes...

greenlawfinal.png
If you wish to believe that the Hydra is dead and "hope for the best," I will let that be your prerogative. I suppose Mr. McSorley is right and I could be mistaken about all this, but I certainly doubt it. Hmmm... though bias is at play... Of course, if you choose to act in the belief that the Hydra is dead and are wrong, that will be an act with consequences all of its own...

Merei cannot smile, as she has no mouth, but her flames grow a both stronger and somehow softer, or more gently. She is greatly concerned that Greenlaw is verging on madness, but she answered Zaria's questions exactly as Merei would have. "Greenlaw states her case near perfectly. She is imparting knowledge - killing her or not will not change the facts she shares. I think she is right, and it is best we assume this Hydra will reconstitute itself. The question, however, is just how long that takes."

"As I understand it, we have a total of 12 seats to ferry people off this ship."

<Valencia|PersonellFiles>
Barlow, Ruby - Cargo Engineer (Deceased, Cargo Hold Beta)
Callaghan, Artemis - Assistant Engineer (Deceased)
Dunn, Simon - Head Pilot (Retrieved)
Fitzgerald, Gordon - Assistant Pilot ("Abandoned" in Mess Hall/possibly dead?)
Gail, Andrea - Chief of Security (Deceased)
Greenlaw, Linda - Lead Scientist (Retrieved)
Ilbery, Edward - Captain (Retrieved)
Irving, Jane - Assistant Pilot (Retrieved)
Larson, Alexi - Bridge Engineer (Retrieved)
Lightfoot, Edmund - Comms Officer ("Abandoned" in Mess Hall/possibly dead?)
Luce, Jamie - Doctor (Deceased, unfortunately)
McMaugh, Jim - Custodian
McSorley, Ernest - Chief Engineer (Set Off To Destroy The Ship / UPDATE: Plant Signal Booster / UPDATE: Retrieved)
Moran, Michael - Cargo Security (Deceased, Medical Bay)
Morrison, Joan - Security Sergeant (Deceased, Cargo Hold Beta)
Noble, Jim - Bridge Engineer
Shatford, Robert - Bridge Engineer
Shaw, Quincy - Assistant Doctor (Deceased, Cargo Hold Gamma)
Truxton, Tamsin - Cargo Security (Deceased)
Tyne Jr., Wiliam - Cargo Security (Retrieved)
Worley, Frederik - Engineer (Retrieved)
Wood, Greg - Comms Officer (Deceased, Hallway Explosion)

"There are still three members of the crew unaccounted for. Unless any of you know their fate, we must indeed sweep the ship for them. But, with Dean and Viper and our own number, and with those already aboard the Actaeon, and those we saved, we are sitting at sixteen members who must be ferried off. My suggestion is this. Everyone depart this ship save for myself, Dr. Greenlaw, Captain Ilbery, and perhaps Mr. Tyne Jr., as he is security. We should remain here with the signal booster. Once the first group makes it back to Charon, they can return here for us, hopefully, and we can destroy this ship as we depart."

14 minutes ago, Zepher said:

"So it was Hart that found and brought this thing aboard. That is a good thing to know for sure," Merei says, aiming her gaze pointedly at Zaria. "It seems you have a great understanding of this creature, Doctor. I am all for unlocking the mysteries of this beautiful universe, but I would not put others in danger to do so. The risks I assume I do with my own knowledge, and I would be the one to suffer the consequences. I don't like when others are left in the dark, and made to suffer for it. Is this just a sampling of the Hydra you found elsewhere? Does it still exist there?"

greenlawfinal.png
Oh, it's hard to say for sure. The poor thing was dormant when we found it, maybe as a self-defense measure? It could have been dying! We grabbed the healthiest shoot we could find.

5 minutes ago, Zepher said:

"There are still three members of the crew unaccounted for. Unless any of you know their fate, we must indeed sweep the ship for them. But, with Dean and Viper and our own number, and with those already aboard the Actaeon, and those we saved, we are sitting at sixteen members who must be ferried off. My suggestion is this. Everyone depart this ship save for myself, Dr. Greenlaw, Captain Ilbery, and perhaps Mr. Tyne Jr., as he is security. We should remain here with the signal booster. Once the first group makes it back to Charon, they can return here for us, hopefully, and we can destroy this ship as we depart."

simonend.png
If what the Doc says is right, we might not have time for all of that. The Hydra is vulnerable, now. If we give it however many days to recover as we ferry back and forth we might not have another chance like this. It didn't take this thing very long to spread through the whole damn ship, I don't want to see what it's like when it's pissed off.

MM Note: For your convenience, Bob Shatford was in the Crew Quarters, and there was a body in that corridor that you didn't account for:

On 1/9/2022 at 12:42 AM, The Legonater said:

Jane glances back at the body and blanches, staring in horror at her former crewmate. 

hart_woman.png
That's... was... Bob. Bob Shatford.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:29 AM, The Legonater said:

The corridor is covered in the Hydra substance, with a mass of tendrils obscuring passage through the corridor for the moment. On the other side of the tendrils is a mustached Hart crewmember who appears to have been sliced by the creature.

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin looks around the room. "Well, at this point we have a direct contact with Hart we need to report to and let them have some input. They have more knowledge then the crew of the ship most likely. They'll have an idea of what steps we can take next I'm sure." Kirwin's gaze stops on Zaria and smiles. "Probably no need for any more loss of life so soon, right? We need to report all this to Jace immediately and go from there."

Kirwin immediately moves to report all that has happened to Jace.

cygnus_thought.png
Ah, Kirwin; I was beginning to think we weren't going to hear from the lot of you again. Had a lot of static towards the end there...

As Kirwin recounts their story to Alexa, they can briefly make out Alexa in turn repeating it to Jace.

cygnus_thought.png
...well, I don't think our boss is going to be terribly happy, but that's the cost of business sometimes. While everyone at Hart would love an option where the shipments remain in one piece, Jace and I understand if... destructive measures need to take place. Either way, it's your call - Jace would probably get heat from on top if he officially recommended either the destruction of a freighter or the survival of a - what did you call it? - destructive alien lifeform. This is why we hired a third party, after all.

Zaria was torn. Greenlaw was a danger to herself as much as the rest of the crew. To let her go while she had such a disregard for the safety of everyone here irritated her to no end. Her desire for oblivion, though, did not deserve the deaths of everyone else on the ship. The hydra was a menace: to life itself. This anger crawled up her back: this desire for righteous destruction quarrelling with a desire for life. "I do not care about the cargo on this ship." Zaria spoke up. "It's stuff. It can be replaced. The lives on this ship cannot. We do not have the right to dictate who lives and who dies- not even to random chance." Zaria waved her hand in frustration. "We're getting everyone out of here and abandoning ship. We leave the Hydra to it's fate. May Varuth tear this creature apart in the void." Zaria wanted to end this here, but not at the cost of innocents. She gritted her teeth and cursed herself and her soft heart.

Wherever this creature went, wherever it decided to take root, she would be there. This creature would not safely travel: she would hound it to the edges of the Arm. She would bury it back into the hole it was found in. 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, Zepher said:

"Sounds like as good a plan as any. Hostile invaders are not a good time on a space station."

18 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I do not care about the cargo on this ship." Zaria spoke up. "It's stuff. It can be replaced. The lives on this ship cannot. We do not have the right to dictate who lives and who dies- not even to random chance." Zaria waved her hand in frustration. "We're getting everyone out of here and abandoning ship. We leave the Hydra to it's fate. May Varuth tear this creature apart in the void."

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

"Sounds like as good a plan as any. Hostile invaders are not a good time on a space station."

viper.png
If I'm hearing you folks right... we're going to take the time to ferry the survivors off this freighter? 'Just want to make sure I'm tracking along.

ernestfinal.png
If we hook the transponder to the couplings, I should be able to configure it to send a signal to Charon... maybe that could speed up the process. But once it's all hooked up and running, I don't know if we would be able to reconfigure it to self-destruct. It's a risk, but it would get everyone off here safely.

simonend.png
So we leave the Hydra to the gravitonic forces of the Forbidden Sector... I guess we could do worse.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, The Legonater said:

simonend.png
If what the Doc says is right, we might not have time for all of that. The Hydra is vulnerable, now. If we give it however many days to recover as we ferry back and forth we might not have another chance like this. It didn't take this thing very long to spread through the whole damn ship, I don't want to see what it's like when it's pissed off.“

“I’m well aware of the gamble those left aboard would be taking. The Doctor does not mind joining the Hydra. The Captain should, of anyone, go down with the ship. I do not feel good asking Mr. Tyne to stay, but feel they are the best option out of those remaining. As for myself, I can hardly volunteer others before myself.”

20 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I do not care about the cargo on this ship." Zaria spoke up. "It's stuff. It can be replaced. The lives on this ship cannot. We do not have the right to dictate who lives and who dies- not even to random chance." Zaria waved her hand in frustration. "We're getting everyone out of here and abandoning ship. We leave the Hydra to it's fate. May Varuth tear this creature apart in the void." Zaria wanted to end this here, but not at the cost of innocents. She gritted her teeth and cursed herself and her soft heart.

“The trouble, Zaria, is we cannot take everyone off all at once. I agree with the sentiment, in both the priority of the people and the need to leave the Hydra here. The question is only how best to accomplish that.”

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

viper.png
If I'm hearing you folks right... we're going to take the time to ferry the survivors off this freighter? 'Just want to make sure I'm tracking along.

ernestfinal.png
If we hook the transponder to the couplings, I should be able to configure it to send a signal to Charon... maybe that could speed up the process. But once it's all hooked up and running, I don't know if we would be able to reconfigure it to self-destruct. It's a risk, but it would get everyone off here safely.

simonend.png
So we leave the Hydra to the gravitonic forces of the Forbidden Sector... I guess we could do worse.

“I am, as always, dealing with the facts presented, not flights of fancy.” Merei turns to the three men. “I sense you aren’t pleased with the plan. I have admitted the significant risk to those left behind, and to others as well, should the Hydra reconstitute and infect us. But it is the best option I see, and so it has my vote. Tell me if you see another.”

6 hours ago, The Legonater said:

ernestfinal.png

"That would be fine. I'm sure I'll have no problem coming up with another way to blow this ship up hehe" Kiriwn starts thinking toward that idea.

Edited by karmajay

9 hours ago, The Legonater said:

ernestfinal.png

simonend.png

“It will hopefully be dragged into the sun’s gravitational pull.” Zaria replies. “There the Hydra will burn. I would like to see it destroyed: blown to pieces, but I’ll take my victories where I can get them. If we can advise would be looters and travellers to leave this damned ship alone to its fate, we should.”

8 hours ago, Zepher said:

“I’m well aware of the gamble those left aboard would be taking. The Doctor does not mind joining the Hydra. The Captain should, of anyone, go down with the ship. I do not feel good asking Mr. Tyne to stay, but feel they are the best option out of those remaining. As for myself, I can hardly volunteer others before myself.”

“The trouble, Zaria, is we cannot take everyone off all at once. I agree with the sentiment, in both the priority of the people and the need to leave the Hydra here. The question is only how best to accomplish that.”

A thought dawned on her as she turned to Viper. “What’s the likelihood you could ask your mercenary comrades to assist us?”

9 hours ago, Zepher said:

“I am, as always, dealing with the facts presented, not flights of fancy.” Merei turns to the three men. “I sense you aren’t pleased with the plan. I have admitted the significant risk to those left behind, and to others as well, should the Hydra reconstitute and infect us. But it is the best option I see, and so it has my vote. Tell me if you see another.”

ernestfinal.png
Ma'am, I'm not sure there's any plan I much like here. But if we can guarantee these people's safety, well, that's good 'nough for me.

Simon stands up, carrying Luce's body in his hands.

simonend.png
If the priestess here is right and this damned thing will burn in the sun, then that's something. Besides, the sooner I get back to my family the better. I can fly that second shuttle; you're going to need someone skilled to get you out of this cursed nebula.

7 hours ago, karmajay said:

"That would be fine. I'm sure I'll have no problem coming up with another way to blow this ship up hehe" Kiriwn starts thinking toward that idea.

Kirwin Explosives Check (DC 3/5) - 1, 6, 5, 1 (Two successes)

Kirwin searches the cargo bay for something they can rig up, but is unable to find anything that would destabilize the coupling enough to incinerate the entire freighter. 

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

“It will hopefully be dragged into the sun’s gravitational pull.” Zaria replies. “There the Hydra will burn. I would like to see it destroyed: blown to pieces, but I’ll take my victories where I can get them. If we can advise would be looters and travellers to leave this damned ship alone to its fate, we should.”

A thought dawned on her as she turned to Viper. “What’s the likelihood you could ask your mercenary comrades to assist us?”

viper.png
I'm sure they'd love to take a crack at this, but getting in touch with 'em will be the same issue as getting in touch with anyone else. Maybe if we get a signal boosted to them they could come and figure something out, but being honest, my crew probably wouldn't have much more luck than Kirwin. We deal more in petty smuggling than, uh, ship destruction. 

"Well there is not much left here, maybe we can just lock navigation to fly this thing into the sun. Maybe someone else can look for the last couple personal items of Mr. Hart? Maybe that will lighten the loss of the ship as a whole?"

3 hours ago, karmajay said:

"Well there is not much left here, maybe we can just lock navigation to fly this thing into the sun. Maybe someone else can look for the last couple personal items of Mr. Hart? Maybe that will lighten the loss of the ship as a whole?"

“I’d rather we don’t do that until the second team returns,” Merei says gently. “While I am of the stars, I will not be evacuating at the same time as you, and do not think I would survive being thrust into one.”

4 hours ago, karmajay said:

57 minutes ago, Zepher said:

“I’d rather we don’t do that until the second team returns,” Merei says gently. “While I am of the stars, I will not be evacuating at the same time as you, and do not think I would survive being thrust into one.”

ernestfinal.png

Mmm, yes, if those holding fort want to recover some lost goods, I'm sure that would be appreciated. That said, if we're all agreed, it's probably best we start moving. I'll rig up the transponder and try to reach Port Charon, if no one is opposed. You all best be making arrangements. I think someone said there were other survivors in the ship? Simon, you should go 'n tell them we have a ride out of here. And thank you lot for coming in and saving our skin. Heroica, I think you said your name was? I don't know what would have happened to us without you. I can't imagine anyone at Hart is going to be overjoyed at what went on here, but you deserve credit for getting us out in... well, mostly one piece.

MM Note: No one else has laid claim to the rifle, so I'm giving it to Kirwin a la Zepher's outline but you can feel free to trade it out or sell it at your leisure!

Everyone gains 2 Character Points!

The Party:
hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Character Points: 7/20
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 1
Strength: 2
Skill: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Coding 2, Piloting 1, Engineering 2, Explosives 1, Technology 2 
Credits: 38
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Adventuring Leathers (Standard Kinetic Armour), Utility Belt
Inventory: 2 Hampering Minor Chemical Contained grenades, 5 Plasma Potions, Hacking Chip, Captain Ilbery's Security Card, Alien Mandible (Standard Kinetic Weapon), Makeshift Flamethrower (Standard Short-Range Elemental Weapon), Skeleton Key Card (Unlocks 1 lock per mission), Hart Rifle (Calibrated Long Range Energy Weapon

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg
Merei Teo (Stable)
Age 24 Female, Helioi-Touched Celestial (Born Menahi) 
Character Points: 6/20
Vitality: 6/6 
Velocity: 2
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Smarts: 3
Spirit: 1/3
Proficiencies: Occult 1, Religion 1, Coding 1, Insight 1
Known Spells: Healing Light, Solar Flare, Gravity Sink
Credits: 161
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Essence of Intellect, 2x Plasma Potion, Aether Brew, Nanite Elixir, Holo-Tome 
(+1 to non-Spell Arcana, Nature, Religion, and Occult Checks), Hart Containment Gear (Standard Kinetic Armor, +1 Survival)

varen_avatar.png
Varen Nastayo (KotZ)
26, Male, Human
Character Points: 7/19
Vitality: 5/5
Velocity: 2
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 0
Proficiencies: Culture 2, Deception 1, Insight 1, Persuasion 2, Long Range Weapon 1, Coding 1*
Known Spells (if applicable): 
Credits: 124
Equipment: Lawyer's Rifle (Standard Long Range Energy weapon), Translator Cube
Inventory: 1x Essence of Glibness, 1x Essence of Intellect, Ion Repeater (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Adrenaline Decoction, 2x Bulking Stim, Aether Brew, Ion Scope (This weapon ignores Obscurement), Acid Sack (Apply to weapon, weapon causes poisoned 1 for the duration of one battle, Essence of Precaution

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 7/21
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 3
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 0/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 2, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Sonic Sweep
Credits: 139
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour w/ Repulsor, +1 Defend Rolls), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion (4), Aether Brew x2, Essence of Toughness, Holoscroll (Enhanced Vision), Bulking Stim, Hydra Goo (Apply to a weapon, weapon can cause restrained once per quest)

Merei nods with approval as the crew jumps into action. "Thank you, McSorley. What came upon you was a surprise, and I am impressed by the crew's professionalism. I'm very, very glad we saved those we did, and," she looks at Luce, "apologize that we didn't do more. I won't say couldn't, but didn't." She begins to head back to the cargo ship. "Would there be anyway to decouple these pods from the main ship, or cut power and air from them? The Hydra infestation was clearly strongest here, and though I'm sure it'll reconstitute aboard everywhere it reached, it would give us a smaller area to be actively worried about, if we were all up there, patrolling, burning out Hydra as it began to grow. I don't think we can kill it, but it would give us more time to wait for rescue."

18 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Would there be anyway to decouple these pods from the main ship, or cut power and air from them? The Hydra infestation was clearly strongest here, and though I'm sure it'll reconstitute aboard everywhere it reached, it would give us a smaller area to be actively worried about, if we were all up there, patrolling, burning out Hydra as it began to grow. I don't think we can kill it, but it would give us more time to wait for rescue."

ernestfinal.png
Yeah, we should be able to uncouple the pods without issue. Good thinking.

simonend.png
If we're transmitting from Delta, that's going to confuse the other rescue ship. 

ernestfinal.png
The Delta transmission is just to cut through the nebula. I must assume these folks were able to pick up Alpha's transmissions once they were in the Sector. Besides, we'll have someone actually manning the bridge this time to guide them in. I say we go for it, any other questions?

"I have nothing further to ask." Zaria replies to McSorley. She took a moment to try in vain to clean herself of the guts and goop slathered across her, but eventually she realized the only solution was going to be a warm bath and an extensive cleaning of her armour and clothes. She did have lingering doubts, questions in her mind. She had a deep distrust of Greenlaw. Letting her go felt wrong. It felt like she was given a chance to stop something but couldn't out of her own convictions. She had a lingering sense of unease around Merei, whose intrigue regarding the Hydra was as palpable, if more subdue and restrained. Even if she thought Kirwin was childlike, at least they seemingly understood the threat the Hydra represented.

What she desired right now was peace of mind, something she doubted she'd get until she returned to Ebria and the Hall.