Hod Carrier

My OcTRAINber - Now with MOCs

On 11/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Great parts usage with the droid leg.

Thanks, Benn. I wanted to try and get a compact pivot arrangement for the body and this really was the only part for the job. It looks pretty good too.

That interior is over the top, great touch.

It's a shame that it will all be hidden. There is also a roll of paper on the third wall, but including that would have made photographing it quite hard.

They all look great, but the Trevithick locomotive is probably still my favorite of the lot.

So for an encore will you string all of your narrow gauge builds from this competition together for an anachronistic scene?

Thank you so much. Strictly speaking, the Honey Bucket is standard gauge and the Trevithick doesn't run on compatible track, but I'll see what sort of cavalcade I can sort out.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, Asper said:

Now you have a great collection of narrow gauge vehicles! Wonderful!

Thank you, sir. Yes it's quite a mixed collection of different types, none of which would ever have been seen together in the same space. :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's getting tight to the deadline now, but the final issue left outstanding has been dealt with.

Luckily the postman brought me the parts needed to correct the problem I'd discovered with the tipper mounting point. If they hadn't come today I would have been sunk.

51676672256_80dda775f4.jpg

The tipper body is still supported on the handrails as before, but the handrails themselves are attached differently to the chassis. Rather than being attached to the sides they are now attached to the ends and are a bit closer together than before.

51676672231_8582ac427d.jpg

With the geometry now corrected, everything lines up as it ought without stress or parts being out of line. With the tipper body now in place the build is complete!!

My WIP journey is now complete. All the builds are finished and just need to be properly photographed so that they can be entered. As always, I've had a real blast with OcTRAINber and, after an unpromising start, things have accelerated towards the finish. I've loved researching unusual prototypes so that I could bring you something different to see and have thoroughly enjoyed all the excellent feedback that the builds have generated. I may not have stuck very close to the "quality over quantity" mantra and haven't produced models to the same high standard as many others being entered, but I have had a blast and enjoyed myself hugely. For me it's been about participating and just having fun. I hope you've enjoyed the journey as much as I have and if anything I've done has made you smile then I will have achieved my aims.

Best of luck to all competitors in all categories. It's been a classic year this year and I hope next year will be just as good.

Edited by Hod Carrier

Your output is unbelievable, regarding both quantity and quality! My personal favourite is still the Trevithick locomotive, but your other entries are truly remarkable creations, too.

Good luck for the contest!

I think it helps that the builds are all small and modestly detailed. Plus I've had quite a bit of time off work to be able to devote to projects such as this. Earlier this year I was starting to worry that I'd lost the gift because I couldn't seem to get started on much, but I think this contest has given me some drive to get things done.

The standard of my builds is not on the same level as other entries, but I don't really mind. I've extracted a huge amount of enjoyment out of the process, learned a lot of new things and, most importantly, laughed a lot along the way. For me, this has probably been the most enjoyable OcTRAINber yet, and if that's all I get out of the contest this year I shall still be very satisfied.

19 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I've extracted a huge amount of enjoyment out of the process, learned a lot of new things and, most importantly, laughed a lot along the way. For me, this has probably been the most enjoyable OcTRAINber yet, and if that's all I get out of the contest this year I shall still be very satisfied.

Great mindset from a man who's mind is in the %&#er. Really, your collection is well detailed and executed wonderfully. Your steam locomotive is a gem, but I still can't help but chuckle each time I see the blue loo.

As an aside, being limited to small builds allowed us all to have fun, expand our horizons, and give people more equal footing. Sheer size isn't going to win this one. Best of luck.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:16 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Great mindset from a man who's mind is in the %&#er.

Yup. It's all gone down the pan. :laugh_hard:

On 11/15/2021 at 5:16 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Really, your collection is well detailed and executed wonderfully. Your steam locomotive is a gem, but I still can't help but chuckle each time I see the blue loo.

As an aside, being limited to small builds allowed us all to have fun, expand our horizons, and give people more equal footing. Sheer size isn't going to win this one. Best of luck.

Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. :classic:

Edited by Hod Carrier