Uniqueorn

Hogwarts Castle MOC, Harry Potter (Work in Progress)

Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in the site!

After being away from the hobby for nearly 20 years, as if by chance I ended up rekindling the flame for LEGO once again.

Over the past year and a half I have been working from home and I have been looking for new way to entertain myself.

Accidentally I saw that the Harry Potter line had been revived over the last couple of years, so I decided to collect it as I was a huge HP fan as a child and building stuff after work seemed like a good way to relax while listening to some jazz.

One thing let to another and as of a month or so now I have been building a full Hogwarts Castle MOC in quite an ambitious scale too, as it turns out.

Like I said, I have been away from the hobby for quite some time, but it is great to see that unlike the 90s, nowadays it is quite easy to share with people and find like-minded souls for any passion you might have.

Being an AFOL now and easily being considered somewhat of a boomer (lol), being out there is somewhat new to me, but nevertheless to make this process easier, I have made a YouTube channel and an Instagram where I am documenting my progress and various difficulties I happen to encounter while building and designing.

So for anyone who might be interested, any kind of opinions, comments and feedback are more than welcome!

Looking forward to delving into the LEGO hobby once again and finding new friends within the community!

Thank you

Edit: Nov 2022

Hello all, wanted to share some nice pictures of the current state of the castle for those of you that don't follow me on Instagram.

Really appreciate if you follow me on You Tube and Instagram. Really helps a lot. Thanks for all the feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/@Uniqueorn

https://www.instagram.com/uniqueorn_lego/

DSC04208DSC04205DSC04202DSC04175DSC04197DSC04187DSC04215DSC04225DSC04256DSC04254DSC04247

viber_image_2021-09-30_13-46-52-878.jpg

viber_image_2021-10-04_22-09-49-549.jpg

IMG_20211130_223357__01.jpg

Edited by Uniqueorn

This is brilliant, wish I had the space for something this impressive! Look forward to seeing the progress.

On 10/5/2021 at 5:16 PM, Yope said:

This is brilliant, wish I had the space for something this impressive! Look forward to seeing the progress.

Thank you so much for the kind and encouraging words!

Newest video is up with the latest updates and changes. :)

Love that entrance, a while back I was attempting to do a digital design for a local church in Riga and honestly, that front door portal that you have made looks so much better than what I came up with. Good job so far! :pir-thumb:

50 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Love that entrance, a while back I was attempting to do a digital design for a local church in Riga and honestly, that front door portal that you have made looks so much better than what I came up with. Good job so far! :pir-thumb:

Thank you very the encouraging words! It's all about the perseverance, nothing else.  :pir-oh:

28 minutes ago, Uniqueorn said:

It's all about the perseverance, nothing else.  :pir-oh:

Pretty much ideology of the whole life. The latest project I've been working on is stuck in one place for the past 2 months due to some unexpected things in my life.

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

Pretty much ideology of the whole life. The latest project I've been working on is stuck in one place for the past 2 months due to some unexpected things in my life.

That's always tough, friend. Hope it's nothing too rough and things get back to normal soon.

16 hours ago, Uniqueorn said:

That's always tough, friend. Hope it's nothing too rough and things get back to normal soon.

Thanks! I am close to getting back on track. And keep doing what you do, I really enjoy this MOC of yours. :pir-thumb:

Finally I had the time to see all the parts.

As a Harry Potter and LEGO fan I always appreciate when someone put his efforts into building Hogwarts mocs.

I find particularly interesting your how-to-see-lower-floor way.

I like how you built and hid Hufflepuff entrance. Really imaginative and clever.

Very nice also Great Hall small towers and the general appearance of the Entrance.

Best wishes for your building, I look forward for new updates :thumbup:

Edited by BrickMatit

On 10/29/2021 at 11:32 PM, BrickMatit said:

Finally I had the time to see all the parts.

As a Harry Potter and LEGO fan I always appreciate when someone put his efforts into building Hogwarts mocs.

I find particularly interesting your how-to-see-lower-floor way.

I like how you built and hid Hufflepuff entrance. Really imaginative and clever.

Very nice also Great Hall small towers and the general appearance of the Entrance.

Best wishes for your building, I look forward for new updates :thumbup:

Means a lot all that you have said! It is all a very fun experience, and I have a lot more stuff planned as well. As for the building - it is somewhat of a panned-out process, although some things I do as they come to me. :D

You open the main door (interesting how you built it merging two pairs of doors) and then...

... boom! Wow. The Great Hall in all its beauty.

Nice how you put braziers inside the Great Hall and gargoyles holding up them. And very good the towers over the side wall: I find that the corner arch you used make them really pleasing.

3 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

You open the main door (interesting how you built it merging two pairs of doors) and then...

... boom! Wow. The Great Hall in all its beauty.

Nice how you put braziers inside the Great Hall and gargoyles holding up them. And very good the towers over the side wall: I find that the corner arch you used make them really pleasing.

Oh, how I await the moment when at least the roof is finished, so I can utter those same words to myself. :D

But in due time, we are getting there. I've been tackling the courtyard math last couple of days, but it would be a shame to not have an update on the front again, haha. I will do my best to do something.

Thank you for the enthusiastic comments! 

~ E

Here we go, front section has taken shape, so hyped to show you this and glad that it came together the way it did!

Looks good! I think the roof would benefit if you made it bit more worn out with moss and all that. :pir-thumb:

6 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Looks good! I think the roof would benefit if you made it bit more worn out with moss and all that. :pir-thumb:

That's an interesting idea! Which color in particular did you have in mind?

2 minutes ago, Uniqueorn said:

Which color in particular did you have in mind?

First that did come to mind was sand green, the colour that was used for classic Hogwarts sets and some of the most recent. There is, of course, room for toying with dark green and olive green.

1 hour ago, Flaming Bricks said:

I love the look of the expanded Great Hall! 10 points for Gryffindor!:excited:

Thanks, but... Gee-wiz I am a Slytherin! Oh, well, I'll take the points anyway! :head_back:

Edited by Uniqueorn

Ha ha! Slytherin is a great house too! I took one of the sorting tests and I'm technically a mixture between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. I think I was majority Gryffindor though, I had a little Ravenclaw and Slytherin too

Very clever how you overcome the entrance door problem to make it open outward.

In general, the front section is really good.

I don't like so much the front stairs, but I suppose removing them would create a lot of mess and problems with the other sections (entrance door, side windows...). Anyway, a touch of personalization is never a bad thing when building you own creations :wink: (otherwise they wouldn't be so own :snicker:).

I find you are doing a nice job with your Hogwarts :excited:

6 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

Very clever how you overcome the entrance door problem to make it open outward.

In general, the front section is really good.

I don't like so much the front stairs, but I suppose removing them would create a lot of mess and problems with the other sections (entrance door, side windows...). Anyway, a touch of personalization is never a bad thing when building you own creations :wink: (otherwise they wouldn't be so own :snicker:).

I find you are doing a nice job with your Hogwarts :excited:

It bothers me a little bit too now that it has 3 more steps, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I'm afraid. But then I remind myself how much the alternative of a wrong height courtyard or asymmetry between the windows and the roof would bother me and everything is just fine.

Thank you for the encouraging words!