Sign in to follow this  
BrickRally217

[MOC] BTL Y-wing Starfighter

Well, it's about that time of year where I dump pictures of my new MOCs before getting back to my life as a student.

In all seriousness, I'm really excited to present my Y-wing MOC. Ever since I designed my X-Wing last year, I knew I wanted to make a Y-wing and an A-wing to accompany it. 

Of all the minifigure-scale Star Wars spacecraft I've designed, this model is the biggest but also the most straightforward design-wise. I found myself having very little difficulty in the build process, everything fell together very well. Don't you love when that happens? 

51390130735_844d98874c_c.jpg

51389856454_688e56b6df_c.jpg

51388358242_a96f94a567_c.jpg

51388358542_c59128aa28_c.jpg

My favorite part of this ship is probably the oblong section just behind the astromech. I love the shaping of this part on the actual model, especially the cylindrical eyelets poking out diagonally, and I think I've done a good job replicating it here.

51388358482_bfd0902044_c.jpg

I never sacrifice structural stability for detail when it comes to the undersides of my spacecraft. Maybe I could have tried a little harder here, but I think it looks reasonably presentable.

51389373588_e6fdf69e17_c.jpg

Not much going on with the interior either, just enough space for a minifigure and as many control panels as I could fit!

While we're here, the hull was most definitely the most challenging part of the build. It's not quite as curved as the actual model is, but since we're using Lego bricks, I opted for a straight and smooth approach over something that would have turned out angular but ultimately jagged.

51388358172_a9f64598fc_c.jpg

Lastly, here is an (admittedly crooked) aerial view of the ship. From here it's pretty evident that the copper flex-tubing I bought (in new condition) resembles reddish brown more than it does the newer elven swords in copper, which is disappointing. I like the slight sheen it gives off, but I'm not sure that makes it worth it. 

51388358347_1edf94908c_c.jpg

Hope you enjoyed looking at my Y-wing! If anyone knows where I can find other minifigure-scale Y-wing MOCs besides Jerac's, leave a comment because I've been trying to find some for a while!

Very nicely done, I really like the engine nacelles and the steering vanes at the back. The hull is superbly detailed and the interior of the cockpit is very nice, as is the exterior. Great work.

Edited by Stuartn

On 8/19/2021 at 11:15 PM, Stuartn said:

Very nicely done, I really like the engine nacelles and the steering vanes at the back. The hull is superbly detailed and the interior of the cockpit is very nice, as is the exterior. Great work.

Thank you! Very good use of technical terminology too, I'm not quite there yet lol

Very nice! This is the best minifigure scale Y-Wing MOC I've seen in a long time! The greebling is really accurate and detailed, especially that section behind the astromech droid! As you mentioned, my only problem with it is the kind of boxy shape of the cockpit plating, but I understand why you took the approach you did. Overall, good job!