eldiano

[MOD] 31109 Creator 3 in 1 Pirate Ship different Sail Mod

I’ve been waiting to finish this project ever since April of this year! I went through a locally owned pop and mom shop in my town to order the bricks and pieces required for this ship, I wasn’t used to ordering stand alone bricks for mods online, but they quoted me $268usd for everything and I agreed.  A month later and nothing so I let it go, they also quoted me $400 for the bricks required on my imperial fort on this sub channel here that same day, so overnight I self taught myself how to navigate bricklink and shop.lego.com’s brick and pieces services!  Long story short I saved a monumental amount of cash on this project haha

I wish this set had some pre fab pieces, the hardest part for me was thinking I could change the hull to prefab but it’s a stud wider on all sides, so I stuck with just the sails from the 70413 The brick bounty and low key did some mods I saw on the 21322!! I like the small size of the ship, but what threw me off was the overall rail heights among other minor things, it looks different for sure but I somewhat love it, do the sails fit the ship or naw? Hehe I’m no pirate ship master but I think it will still help them smuggle gold across the Caribbean! 

Here’s a Wide angle shot of the front!

QFpxHsj.jpg

I wanted to see it with sails but I will admit some of them look monstrous haha

E3JkjqJ.jpg

Re did the rails and raised the back

e0juQ7B.jpg

PPnjDrq.jpg

The black seas barracuda and the brick bounty helped me with the front, i wanted a brown mast but it was sold out and expensive on brick link, so I was stuck with black

p9MIPs6.jpg

QDR6ItN.jpg

LOrmkv9.jpg

xwYDMFz.jpg

Finding the Sand Yellow grate was kind of hard!

h8GLvxJ.jpg

1iI8EQ4.jpg

umMi8gD.jpg

Inside the Captain’s Quarters, I’ll admit the door is freaking bigger than I expect, I have extra bricks laying around to do ladder but heck, some older pirate ships don’t have that luxury haha

S3XnUJ5.jpg

iEcCTx8.jpg

yDOMyKY.jpg

A nice MOD, captain. I must say the sails look a bit off but still are a nice touch among other things added.

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

the hardest part for me was thinking I could change the hull to prefab but it’s a stud wider on all sides

I haven't had a chance at buying this one, so I'm guessing the prefab is two studs wider?

Now, when regarding railing for this and BSB, I did a little MOD on Barracuda and made the main deck and forecastle railing a plate higher than initially. Now me crew are much safer on the ship and have less risk of falling off. :pir-grin:

Good job on the MOD! :pir-thumb:

Good work on putting cloth sails on this little ship.

Obviously the sails seem large because of the size of the hull itself...

It is a very (very) small hull plan for such a 2 masts Brig-like vessel...

For a hull this size I would have seen a nice 1 mast like a Sloop of war or something similar. But TLG is always making bulky vessels and the Brig is frequent in LEGO Piracy... I will not complain, ok that's it ! It has been initially designed like this.

I would have add it more length; just a mid section more, of course a brickbuilt one. It would have smoothed the fact you have a heavy aft castle with a high cabin.

Perhaps, it would have been nice to see it with the hull pieces then, but you'll loose the concept of this ship.

Doing something nice with this ship is difficult : Even you stay close to its original design and you'll keep a bulky toy ship; or you're going towards a more realistic plan but you'll loose all of its funny and nice LEGO aspect... A very hard decision.

I wanted to do the same as you and finally got nothing nice; so now, my ship is totally dismantled... :pir-sceptic: so congrats to have done something you can share with us here ! :thumbup:

10 hours ago, eldiano said:

I’ve been waiting to finish this project ever since April of this year! I went through a locally owned pop and mom shop in my town to order the bricks and pieces required for this ship, I wasn’t used to ordering stand alone bricks for mods online, but they quoted me $268usd for everything and I agreed.  A month later and nothing so I let it go, they also quoted me $400 for the bricks required on my imperial fort on this sub channel here that same day, so overnight I self taught myself how to navigate bricklink and shop.lego.com’s brick and pieces services!  Long story short I saved a monumental amount of cash on this project haha

I wish this set had some pre fab pieces, the hardest part for me was thinking I could change the hull to prefab but it’s a stud wider on all sides, so I stuck with just the sails from the 70413 The brick bounty and low key did some mods I saw on the 21322!! I like the small size of the ship, but what threw me off was the overall rail heights among other minor things, it looks different for sure but I somewhat love it, do the sails fit the ship or naw? Hehe I’m no pirate ship master but I think it will still help them smuggle gold across the Caribbean! 

Haha, bricklink is so powerful with wanted lists, it opens up so many opportunities after you figure out how to create Wanted Lists. In terms of the pieces you used for the MOD, how do you know what pieces are required for your MOD? it's always been my problem, hence I just buy 2 sets and go from there. 

There were no prefab pieces as it's a creator set, makes it easier to modify in a sense. 

5 hours ago, Faladrin said:

For a hull this size I would have seen a nice 1 mast like a Sloop of war or something similar. But TLG is always making bulky vessels and the Brig is frequent in LEGO Piracy... I will not complain, ok that's it ! It has been initially designed like this.

I would have add it more length; just a mid section more, of course a brickbuilt one. It would have smoothed the fact you have a heavy aft castle with a high cabin.

Perhaps, it would have been nice to see it with the hull pieces then, but you'll loose the concept of this ship.

Doing something nice with this ship is difficult : Even you stay close to its original design and you'll keep a bulky toy ship; or you're going towards a more realistic plan but you'll loose all of its funny and nice LEGO aspect... A very hard decision.

I wanted to do the same as you and finally got nothing nice; so now, my ship is totally dismantled... :pir-sceptic: so congrats to have done something you can share with us here ! :thumbup:

Yes, the original ship is very stuby, so can add a mid section the balance it. Here is my attempt at modifying it, lengthened the forecastle and aftcastle, and raise the main mast with bigger sails. 

On 6/28/2021 at 12:45 AM, Jack Sassy said:

A nice MOD, captain. I must say the sails look a bit off but still are a nice touch among other things added.

I haven't had a chance at buying this one, so I'm guessing the prefab is two studs wider?

Now, when regarding railing for this and BSB, I did a little MOD on Barracuda and made the main deck and forecastle railing a plate higher than initially. Now me crew are much safer on the ship and have less risk of falling off. :pir-grin:

Good job on the MOD! :pir-thumb:

Thank you mate!!! That is correct the pre fab hulls are 2 studs wider, I have like 10 of them I bought just for this but I gave up ultimately realizing I would need to expand the ship and everything else in between and left it as is, plus some ninjago and other lego pirate themed ships look good.  I ended up liking the size of this ship giving more a mini Caribbean clipper sized pirate attack ship haha

I am thinking of posible removing the rear sail just to see what it would look like!!

On 6/28/2021 at 3:19 AM, Faladrin said:

Thank you so much! I never realized the amount of work Lego tried by making their pirate hulls all brick builds and I agree you do lose the concept of this ship but at the same time. I thought I was on a mission to simplify the design but ended up giving up halfway through because I realized it would had ran me more money!!! 

When I first bought this ship I wanted it for the pirate tavern, even ended up buying was a prefab horse and wagon made cart similar to the mill village raid but I noticed a few things that just irked me a bit to say the least in regards to the ship and you are correct I wanted to stay close to the original design and not make it bigger simply to keep it in the original LEGO aspect, I wanted to double the masts to the standard 4, and extend the hull by one to make it a nice ship but it would look like another Brick Bounty, I noticed a lot of similarities between the two, the design of the rails, the cabin, the colors and the aft castle.  

This creator ship is weird to be honest, it has more bricks than the brick bounty but it’s a smaller ship haha, The Brick sails still don’t make sense to me because it doesn’t fit the ship.  At the end of the day it is doing something nice with this ship, I just stuck with the sails at least and just some minor rails to make it more Minifigure friendly and not lego mini sized statue hahaha.  

Funnily enough despite buying this for the tavern as of yet I haven’t managed to build it BUT I have all these extra interior pirate themed furniture ready to have a good time if need be!!!

On 6/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, Wurger49 said:

Haha, bricklink is so powerful with wanted lists, it opens up so many opportunities after you figure out how to create Wanted Lists. In terms of the pieces you used for the MOD, how do you know what pieces are required for your MOD? it's always been my problem, hence I just buy 2 sets and go from there. 

There were no prefab pieces as it's a creator set, makes it easier to modify in a sense. 

Yes, the original ship is very stuby, so can add a mid section the balance it. Here is my attempt at modifying it, lengthened the forecastle and aftcastle, and raise the main mast with bigger sails. 

I didn’t ‘t know how to use wanted lists, but I learned real quick, i thought I had to manually buy each piece and that’s why I gave up halfway, then I realized you can buy everything under a wanted list and create carts from stores all over bricklink that will simplify everything into minimal hassles haha. 

I am very familiar with your MOC!!! Believe me I was studying and researching every single 31109 MOD in the forum to see if sails was doable, I love yours, it makes a full sized ship that even holds it’s own weight with the Blackseas barracuda!! 

Edited by eldiano

I realized that removing the mizzen sail changes the look completely!!!!  I love it now more than ever I think haha 

before:

QWDyv69.jpg

ZopY8S5.jpg

s3lrNJ1.jpg

Sjx3G06.jpg

0xYXA3L.jpg

XL8Gydf.jpg

gtjmlJe.jpg

vqaQSJn.jpg

After

BI723ZQ.jpg

6g0pHks.jpg

pBPpjmX.jpg

Ds8pzng.jpg

OvrtGRI.jpg

8doIOZK.jpg

IAvqCX7.jpg

qVDt4Gp.jpg

eqBJkBX.jpg

Would trimming down the spritsail be a huge Nono or what?  Hope you enjoy this minuscule mod in the forum of magnificent and better ships here!